Canon officially announces the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Okay, for a [stills only] + [OVF only] gent like myself, someone please give me the top 3 things the 1DX3 will do that the 1DX2 cannot.

Don't give me a tabled comparison. I'm just curious what the OVF stills folks are particularly geeked about with this thing.

Thx,
A

Better subject tracking through the OVF, face/head tracking for humans as well as animal tracking. A completely new AF system with 191 AF points. Shorter OVF blackout time. A new mirror mechanism to reduce mirror slap. 16fps with full AE/AF. A new sensor with improved sensitivity. Illuminated buttons. Dual CFExpress slots. Roughly double the battery life.

This seems like a bigger upgrade to the 1DXii than that camera was to the original 1DX.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
DPAF in RAW 30p and 4K cropped 60p confirmed. You just can't get DPAF in the full frame 60p modes.
Yeah, as we discussed, 2.4Gpx per second internal throughput is just way to much and they had to use a 1.3 crop mode instead. That is a 1.42Gpx per second internal throughout instead of 2.4. Which is obviously more manageable.
This is obviously a technical limitation and not a “Cripple Hammer” according to forum trolls.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Good on Canon! I always liked the 1Dx2's and even though we have other in-house MF cameras now, we'll still have pre-ordered 10 of the 1Dx3's by next week BUT I still note I see NOTHING for 65mm Medium Format Sensors at 50.3 megapixels and 16-bits per colour channel YET! Hmmmmmm..... Better get to the drawing board Canon, cuz 65mm is coming a lot faster than you think!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have to say, I'm very impressed by what Texas Instruments appears to have pulled off here. In the past few generations it seemed like Canon was limited by the DIGIC processors in terms of what they could do for processing, but that Canon can pull all of this off with a single DIGIC X means that must be an insanely powerful chip. Assuming that same chip goes into the upcoming EOS R cameras, I think Sony should be feeling a bit nervous.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Beast of a camera!! :love: The new AF system looks great...unfortunately I still have to stick with my 1DX mkii for now, since I'm more in the lookout for a mirrorless higher resolution model with decent fps (I'm good with 10) :LOL:
20Mp — 20fps
40Mp - 10fps
65Mp - 6fps

Choose your poison.

P.S. thank you. I am more so interested to know how AF points spread across the OVF for tracking and composition purposes. I doubt that Canon managed to spread AF points further out to edges but if they have, then this baby will be flying of the the shelves. Ability to track edge to edge or compose with AF points with such a wide spread is hard to overestimate. Also, could be a good indication of what to expect in 5DV.
Exciting days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
20Mp — 20fps
40Mp - 10fps
65Mp - 6fps

Choose your poison.

I would not get your hopes up. With each generation, the 1-series always gets the most stills throughput.

Last-gen:
1DX2 = 20 x 16 = 320 MP/s
5D4 = 30 x 7 = 210 MP/s​
6D2 = 26 x 6.5 = 169 MP/s​
5DS = 50 x 5 = 250 MP/s​

2 gens ago:
1DX1 = 18 x 14 = 252 MP/s
5D3 = 22 x 6 = 132 MP/s​
6D1 = 20 x 4.5 = 90 MP/s​

The idea that we can slice the max throughput of the line-leading model into attractive combos we'd rather own is what Sony and Nikon do. Historically, Canon doesn't.

Now, if there was a 1-series high res, I'd like to see that math. But Canon hasn't married high res + 1-series in.... what, 13 years? Not holding my breath.

- A

Upvote 0

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
I have to say, I'm very impressed by what Texas Instruments appears to have pulled off here. In the past few generations it seemed like Canon was limited by the DIGIC processors in terms of what they could do for processing, but that Canon can pull all of this off with a single DIGIC X means that must be an insanely powerful chip. Assuming that same chip goes into the upcoming EOS R cameras, I think Sony should be feeling a bit nervous.
There is a Digic 8 in there also.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Beast of a camera!! :love: The new AF system looks great...unfortunately I still have to stick with my 1DX mkii for now, since I'm more in the lookout for a mirrorless higher resolution model with decent fps (I'm good with 10) :LOL:
20Mp — 20fps
40Mp - 10fps
65Mp - 6fps

Choose your poison.
I would not get your hopes up. With each generation, the 1-series always gets the most stills throughput.

Last-gen:
1DX2 = 20 x 16 = 320 MP/s
5D4 = 30 x 7 = 210 MP/s​
6D2 = 26 x 6.5 = 169 MP/s​
5DS = 50 x 5 = 250 MP/s​

2 gens ago:
1DX1 = 18 x 14 = 252 MP/s
5D3 = 22 x 6 = 132 MP/s​
6D1 = 20 x 4.5 = 90 MP/s​

The idea that we can slice the max throughput of the line-leading model into attractive combos we'd rather own is what Sony and Nikon do. Historically, Canon doesn't.

Now, if there was a 1-series high res, I'd like to see that math. But Canon hasn't married high res + 1-series in.... what, 13 years? Not holding my breath.

- A
nuh, this is all new sensor, processor and upgraded internal bus.
Canon would not hold on tech this time around. The gap between 1D and 5D series is wider than ever now. 9fps and 30-40Mp jack of all trades camera is no longer an issue from product line differentiation point of view. 20mp fast shooting camera is a thing in its own.
9fps won’t get sport photogs or PJs excited.
Current tech is:
20Mp at 20 FPS. 400Mp/s throughput.
65Mp at 6fps is within the current throughout limit.
5DV will sport at least 9fps. Let’s revisit this subject when 5DV was announced ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
1. Do we know what the new AF spread looks like in 1Dx III?
2. Any indication of presence of the DPRAW option ?
For #1, the AF spread doesn't look good at all. See Gordon Laing's video on YouTube (@4:13). They're all bunched up in the center, just like before...:-(

Upvote 0