Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

May 11, 2017
Unfortunately, if mirrorless = smaller as most people imagine and want, then that means less real estate for buttons and dials. And the smaller the button the more squidgy and harder hit right especially with gloves on. So that means a reliance on menus and multi-function buttons.
Of the mirrorless, I like Fuji (not shot with one but it is the look of them) and Pana (which I do use) but even Pana has issues with the firmness of the button push.
It isn't just about cameras getting smaller, they are also getting more complicated to set up, with more options, and the ability/need to reprogram keys etc. The good news is there is more flexibility, but the bad news is that you may need to put in some work to set the camera up the way you want it. More good news is that there will be setup suggestions available on the web for the new cameras. For example, Brian Carnathan has suggestions that I used to set up my 5DIV, which I found with a google search. Once I got the camera set up with custom modes and menus, the touchscreen controls work very well.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
How can you look at the A7 III or just announced XT3 and say that with a straight face?

Do you know how many Canon wedding photographers would be adding an R to their kit if the R had video features similar to the A7 III? Canon wouldn't be able to make enough of them.

No Sony for me for video for one simple reason, they still don't AF well from what I've been told. Lot's of small hunting while trying to focus. According to some, Canon with DPAF still wins on that front. I don;t have a Sony, so can't say for sure, but have compared my Canons to other mirroless brands. So, it all depends on what video features and aspects are most important to each person. For me, fosusing trumps all the codecs, bitrates and everything else where Canon is supposedly inferior.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Drama is the theme of the times we are in for sure!

With all the specs on this camera I'm sure it'll will work just fine for video for 95% of the folks out there....sheesh, if you want a high end video production rig one just needs to go and buy one, this is a stills camera with "better than average" consumer grade video capabilities.

Many just hunt and thrive on things to complain about!

I do all my Youtube video's with a 2015 T6i using a 10-18mm STM lens, the IQ looks just fine to me......

Completely agree. I plan on doing some how-to videos for YouTube and my M5 does an excellent job. While there are obviously some video folks who are doing high-end stuff, but my guess is that most of the complainers here are essentially wannabes. The read about the latest tech and feel like if they are using it, that makes them "pros." There stuff could easily be done without 4K, without anything but the standard codecs and at 30 fps. There are so many folks who just want to boast and show-off.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
Unfortunately not quite because that is 1.5x(slightly wider than Canon's APS-C size), it is more like 1.8x, so a pretty big difference. A 1DX II at 1.4x is just much better, but it's huge, heavy, uses expensive cards and batteries and has features that most people simply don't need and of course it will never get C-Log (and yet they still buy it for video, because it is still great).

I'm kind of pissed that Canon won't put c-log on the 1DX2 (as a 1DX2 owner)

Upvote 0
Am I alone thinking, that Canon overdone it with the buttons, modes, etc.? Looking at some videos it seems like you need 3 hands and 2 brains to remember all the possible combinations and nested modes :)

Yeah I agree. I downloaded the manual and gave myself a stomach ache trying to figure it out. Basic stuff like setting the ISO or drive mode is buried out of sight. I don't know if my brain can program the C1 mode. Really getting nervous about this now that the initial excitement is fading…….

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That seems to be a running issue with mirrorless cameras and may come about by the push for smaller sizes - smaller size means less real estate to put buttons and dials and what buttons you do use are either large with a positive action or small and squishy. So they usually end up with a reliance on menus with ability to program a few buttons in a way that suits the user (aayhay! look how customisable it is) I think Fuji have got the balance best but it can't be easy to design

Upvote 0