Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

There is no good reason why EF lens performance should degrade on a RF body, but EF lenses will not inherit new features that depend on the RF mount. (faster AF protocol (?), closing aperture blades when camera off, ... (?) .
More than that, they gain parameter functionality with ring control. Beautiful, innovative and most of all useful!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Some of the specs that I had to comb through various pages

X-Sync 1/200
AF at up to f/11
When using the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens with the EOS R, the camera can focus in as little as 0.05 seconds with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
5,655 manually selectable AF points
Yes, any combination of RAW + JPEG possible, separate formats to separate cards possible including Dual Pixel RAW +JPEG
MF peaking
Eye Detection AF
Flicker Reduction
Shutter it says silent shutter but does not say electronic shutter
3.69 million dots EVF
4K Movie Frame Grab
4k30p 10bit 4:2:2 HDMI output
Focus Guide
Focus magnification of two to ten times — enabled in 15 steps — is easily accessed from a button on the body, and magnification steps can be quickly changed with double taps to the LCD screen.
Focus distance display setting during manual focus
Sounds like almost all buttons and dials are customizable
Most can even be assigned one function for still shooting and another during movie recording — and when you switch between still and video, the saved button customization automatically follow.
4k crop like 5D4
Movie Digital Image Stabilization - supports 5-Axis with an IS enabled lens

Overall this is a pretty decent camera for the price and can be vloggers go to camera because of the DPAF, variangle touch screen plus Canon amazing touch screen implementation

Yes 4k is cropped but I was expecting it in a prosumer camera also to differentiate the cinema line of cameras
EF-S lenses can be used even for 4k recording
5655 AF point manually selectable is a shocker for me. I have not seen any MILC so far that you can select individual AF points.
I wasn't expecting 4k30p 10bit 4:2:2 HDMI output
Focus guide will be an amazing aid for manual focusing I wasn't expecting Canon to add this in a prosumer camera
C-Log is a welcome addition

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
The reality is that Canon (and Nikon) are about 10 years late with mirrorless.

Well considering that full frame DSLRs are only about 10-13 years old, I’d say your ‘10 years late’ doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Still, they definitely have dragged their feet but I am convinced that the true 5D replacement will come in early 2019. There are several other powerful capabilities that Canon can introduce that will make people forget about their old 5D. As for the 1D, I wonder whether Canon will update the DSLR model one final time before bringing their mirrorless version to the market. Interestesting strategy question that might depend on how well Sony’s a9 is received in the short term.

Upvote 0
Coming from a half Canon, half Sony set up, Canon have done a few good things here, and a few where it looks like they dropped the ball - the next body will be a good indication of what Canon are able to do really.

The AF looks impressive but the fps lets it down from the fine print. 4k is great, especially with 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi out, but it's heavily cropped, so kinda limits things overall. Rolling shutter sounds like it is an issue too?

The faster card slot is great, but only a single. Eye AF, but only in single shot. All the good bits seem to have a 'but' attached, at least from a features point of view.

Upvote 0
If the EF adopter offers rear drop in lenses, then rear dropin lenses are not possible on the new RF lenses - might future RF lenses want to offer rear drop in lenses?
Great question... It is almost as if they finally solved lens filter questions but at the same time created the problem once again!

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Sounds like there are 3 different EF Lens adapters sold with 4 different options
Simple adapter for $99
Adapter with control ring for $199
Adapter with Drop in CPL filter for $299
Adapter with Drop in ND filter for $399
The drop in variable neutral density (ND) filter allows density to be controlled from ND3 – ND500 which is equivalent to 1.5 – 9 f-stops.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
EOS R initial price of $2299 (available late October)
EOS R with RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM Kit initial price of $3399 (available December)
RF 50mm F1.2 L USM initial price of $2299 (available late October)
RF 28-70mm F2 L USM initial price of $2999 (available December)
RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM initial price of $1099 (available December)
RF 35mm F1.8 MACRO IS STM initial price of $499.99 (available December)
Speedlite EL-100 initial price of $199.99 (available late October)
Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $99.99 (available late October)
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $199.99 (available late October)
Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (CP) initial price of $299.99 (available February 2019)
Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter EF-EOS R (ND) initial price of $399.99 (available February 2019)
Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM initial price of $479.99 (available late September)
Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III USM initial price of $12999 (available December)
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS III USM initial price of $11999 (available December)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The AF looks impressive but the fps lets it down from the fine print. 4k is great, especially with 10 bit 4:2:2 hdmi out, but it's heavily cropped, so kinda limits things overall. Rolling shutter sounds like it is an issue too?
Well since the top and bottom lines of the 4K crop are quite close together, one would expect significantly less rolling shutter than if the entire sensor were used. While it is annoying to have such a heavy crop, the crop does effectively reduce rolling shutter and may be an artifact of Canon’s sensor design not being able to output data fast enough. This will likely improve in the near future!

Upvote 0
Well since the top and bottom lines of the 4K crop are quite close together, one would expect significantly less rolling shutter than if the entire sensor were used. While it is annoying to have such a heavy crop, the crop does effectively reduce rolling shutter and may be an artifact of Canon’s sensor design not being able to output data fast enough. This will likely improve in the near future!

Yeah - I'd be keen to see improvements in this in the future (and hoping the initial reports are incorrect). I wonder if this is one of the reasons for the crop in the first place, if it is due to a slow readout.

All in all, this is closer to what I thought the 6dmk2 was going to be. So likely a decent camera, but it does seem to be done at a certain price point. I had hoped they would pull out all the stops for the first release

Upvote 0
Some of the specs that I had to comb through various pages

AF at up to f/11
When using the RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens with the EOS R, the camera can focus in as little as 0.05 seconds with Dual Pixel CMOS AF
MF peaking

The expanded AF aperture range was a definite feature as LiveView already worked for f/11. Nice to see it be announced all the same!

As for the lenses, I am confused whether all but the 24-105 are non full-time manual focus... One of the CanonUSA videos clealry explains how the focus ring direction can be inverted which would indicated that focus occurs by wire as is the case on the new 400 and 600s.

Finally, MF peaking and focus direction assist looks incredible. Coupled with the auto zoom to the area selected for focus, vintage lenses will be very interesting to adapt.

Thank you for the resume!

Upvote 0
This will likely improve in the near future!

A tad over-optimistic I feel. It will happen at some point undeniably (if only because 8K video demands will result in a convergence between photo and video tech on sensors). But if the 5DIV's readout speed is the best Canon do in late 2018 at a $2300 price tag, it ain't going to be significantly improved any time soon.

Upvote 0
Shutter it says silent shutter but does not say electronic shutter
According this it looks like fully electronic shutter to me http://learn.usa.canon.com/resource...r-whatsnew-silentshutter.shtml?categoryId=121

What the EOS R does differently when you activate Silent Shutter is that the mechanical shutter blades remain fully open, and do not move. Instead, the shutter itself electronically stops actual image recording, scanning its surface again after the initial scanning action has begun capture of light and image detail. Because this is happening within the CMOS image sensor, it can be totally silent.
But to achieve this, the EOS R has some distinct limitations, and EOS users who work with the camera need to be aware of them. If you activate the Silent Shutter, there are some things no longer possible (turning Silent Shutter to “disable” makes all the following available again):
  • No continuous shooting (single-frame shooting only)
  • Flash photography is impossible, even with Canon Speedlites; third-party devices like radio triggers will not receive a sync signal from the camera’s hot shoe, or from the PC socket on the accessory Canon battery grip for the EOS R
Finally, the nature of how Silent Shutter’s in-sensor scanning takes place means that you can encounter some visual distortion with fast-moving subjects. So Silent Shutter images may work well for capturing that instant when a golfer’s back-swing reaches its apex, with the club wound behind the golfer’s shoulders. But if you instead try to capture the moment when his or her club is at full speed, striking the ball, the club’s shaft and possibly even the golfer’s arms may appear distorted. Obviously, reverting to ordinary shutter operation by disabling Silent Shutter will help minimize or eliminate any such problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'll just mention a couple things that stood out like focus peaking and display of distance information. My big unknown now is: DR at ISO 100 for stills.

...but with what I see here I'm starting to think that the mirrored dslr is going to be phased out quicker than I thought...

I can't see canon repeating the 6dmk2, especially where the sensor looks like it is similar to the 5dmk4, that should be a good base to start from.
All in all, this looks like it could be a great little timelapse camera, if the silent shutter is electronic rather than mechanical - any confirmation on this? Throw an adapted prime ef on there with an nd in the adapter and you're good to go

Upvote 0