Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

razorzec

700D
Sep 16, 2016
Mars
Having seen the Official photos the camera is a stunning, solid looking, well designed and true to the EOS DSLR look which I love so much.

24-105 with 5 stop IS sounds really good of a compromise for the lack of IBIS which the fanboys over the Sony forums were (expectedly) harping in every comment section. since this is the kit lens, it also matches the need amongst vloggers who are expected to get this in kit.

While 5655 Selectable AF points is already overkill compared to the competition, I thought Canon could go even further the top with the AF points because the nature of Dual Pixel AF. Since with 100x80% coverage that's several millions worth of AF points available.

Cinema EOS style Focus guide is genius, way better approach than just relying on Focus peaking alone

Of the three adapters announced alongside the new camera, I find the one with Control ring the most useful. RF lenses have them built in. but mounting an EF lens with the control ring adapter on the EOS R makes the legacy lens behave like an RF lens. I guess that's what Canon was telling us about when they said the adapter gives existing EF lenses even more capabilities than it would otherwise with their Native mount.

Video specs handily surpasses the 5D IV, couple with that Cinema EOS style AF guide, it's like a Mini C100, And for $2299, it's a relative bargain. Youtube vlogggers definitely has found their best vlogging camera yet.

As expected, Everyone was going crazy with the 4K crop and the lack of IBIS but completely misses the good points on the camera that was revolutionary in its on. Funny how SonyAlphaRumors made sure to enumerate all its "cons" and make sure it could list alot more of it than its pros.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This is a step in the right direction, but I still can't shake the feeling that we are still years behind the competition. What I am looking for is like some of the rest here, including 1080/120p, and IBIS. The A6500 includes both and is literally half the price. Is it twice the camera because it is full frame? My only solution now since I've been waiting for an announcement is the 6D MKII. I love Canon, and I love their lenses but I am hopeful this changes in the near future. I'm sure it will but at what cost?

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
Yes sadly all the new lenses are FBW which actually make me suspect Canon might allow a EF to RF mount conversion on these new EF 400 and 600 Version 3

FBW sounds scary, but then manual focus on AF lenses never felt great. The turning angle is just too small.

I hope they made their homework. If the ring feels good and the focus follows without lag, it might actually be an improvement over manual focus on EF lenses. I just learned from this video that the focus sensitivity is adjustable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So there is eye-detect AF. And no crop in 4K.
Good stuff, pity there's no IBIS, dual card and - slightly disappointing - no GPS. Still sounds like a better option against Z6, considering the lenses and AF.

But what's the price?

The price is $2.299 and eye-AF only works in AF-S mode. The lenses are very expensive and the camera itself is also expensive taking into account that it doesn't have IBIS, a very low battery life, single card slot, 1.6 crop in 4K.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
It will have the latest firmware at the time of release.

That's not what is implied in the line in the press release. Otherwise, that silent shooting feature in continuous shooting mode would have been mentioned in the specifications from the outset.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
... mounting an EF lens with the control ring adapter on the EOS R makes the legacy lens behave like an RF lens. ....

The control ring doesn't change the EF lens at all. Manual aperture control for instance is done on the EF body now, then on the control ring in the R setup. But I appreciate the concept.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
no disadvantages for EF lenses compared to their LiveView performance on a current DP-AF DSLR (eg. 5D IV)

But EF lens performance likely not as good as native RF lenses in any aspect that needs faster communication / 12-pins. e.g. the "enhanced IS" - needs gyrosensor in lens + faster communication channel. EF lenses don't have it. They are "legacy" as of today in relation to RF mount cameras.

I agree but if the new 400 & 600 lenses are EF only, then this would seem to indicate they are not intended for ‘heavy duty work’ with the R body. DSLRs might be better suited at this point...

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
I wonder if the touch-and-drag AF point will work while the camera is up to your eye? I can do this on the Panasonics and it makes moving the AF point across the screen a lot quicker.

Based on one of the videos, you can use the touchscreen AF pt. selection even with the eye-level VF.

Upvote 0
FBW sounds scary, but then manual focus on AF lenses never felt great. The turning angle is just to small.

I hope they made their homework. If the ring feels good and the focus follows without lag, it might actually be an improvement over manual focus on EF lenses. I just learned from the video at https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?bookmarks/confirm&content_type=post&content_id=740984 that the focus sensitivity is adjustable.

Adjustable focus speed is only for the 400 and 600 (I remember that one of the videos showed external switches on the big whites) or indeed for all RF lenses?

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Mar 5, 2013
Adjustable focus speed is only for the 400 and 600 (I remember that one of the videos showed external switches on the big whites) or indeed for all RF lenses?

It's a setting on the body, so it should be for all RF lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's a pass for me, I'll wait for the higher end model with IBIS, 2 card slots, and 1080p120.
These were the 3 features I needed along side eyeAF...
Do you guys know when can we expect an announcement of the higher end model ?

Well said, more hype etc etc , I wont be selling all my EF Sport big whites or my 1DX2's either ..........

Upvote 0
Quick reference guide for the trolls:

No IBIS - must have feature in 2018
No dual card slot - another must have
Cropped 4K - suddenly became the most important factor
f2 zoom - too expensive, too heavy, no IS, blah blah blah
DPAF - PDAF is fast enough
Canon colors - can always achieve that in post-processing
Canon menu - can get used to it
5655 AF points - makes AF too complicated, not user-friendly
3.6M dot view finder - single biggest reason why battery life is so poor

Conclusion - another crippled offering from Canon, will be out of business soon. Better sell off all gears before it's too late!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

razorzec

700D
Sep 16, 2016
Mars
Quick reference guide for the trolls:

No IBIS - must have feature in 2018
No dual card slot - another must have
Cropped 4K - suddenly became the most important factor
f2 zoom - too expensive, too heavy, no IS, blah blah blah
DPAF - PDAF is fast enough
Canon colors - can always achieve that in post-processing
Canon menu - can get used to it
5655 AF points - makes AF too complicated, not user-friendly
3.6M dot view finder - single biggest reason why battery life is so poor

Conclusion - another crippled offering from Canon, will be out of business soon. Better sell off all gears before it's too late!!!

+ It's using the inferior Canon sensor, it can't push shadows at +5EV
+ No Joystick to select all those AF points.
+ Cannot shoot 20FPS, what's the use of all thsoe over 5000 points?
+ only 30fps at Internal 8bit recording. Oh my gosh, A7S3 will shoot at 4K60 with 10bit 4:2:2!
+ Obligatory Canon is crippling this camera to prevent cannibalizing their Cinema EOS line

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0