Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Exciting times! I undershot my U.S. price guess by 99 bucks. But this is great news in my book... This implies to me that there will be a pro model that is almost sure to have dual cards. This price also shows a huge commitment to FF mirrorless and the RF mount.

The thing that will nag me like a bug under my skin until the pro model is out is... will they yank that sweet flippy screen away from me? Will they have the nerve to ask 3,500 for a camera and have a fixed lcd screen? Man. That rascally Canon.

Depending on reviews (and then a rental) between now and end of year, I may be getting this first model anyway. My wife would love it unless there's some usability issue that isn't obvious yet.

And I think this price, combined with the mediocre EF refreshes, tells me where Canon sees the future leading, and that future has an RF mount on it.

I can't imagine what the "pro" model would look like. Already have 30MP, 8fps, 5000AF points via DPAF, Magnesium body... What else is there? 60MP? few more FPS? 60fps slo-mo in 4K? There IS a debate to be made that the next model would be the more dedicated video machine, where we see a LOWER res sensor than this. Time will tell!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Indeed. Why is this "the ONLY feature that was REALY important"?

Because of the calculations involved to convert a 30x2 (DP) megapixel image to 4k. They require power, and this power is dissipated within the camera, heating it.

Jeah well, its not realy the ONLY feature that could have been a dealbreaker. At least we can use EF-S lenses, so we can achieve wide-angle-4k-images. (Which was totaly impossible on the 5d iv)
I hope the rolling shutter is not so insane (and unusable) as on the 5d IV. Than it could be a decent video camera.

I certainly like the way that canon is going and I do understand the problems that arise from a fullframe 4k readout (this is why I dont ask for 60fps at all) but at least a less insane crop factor would have been nice(like the 1,3 on the 1dx).

Upvote 0
Since there are a lot of IS lens around, I'll trade IBIS with better AF if I am a photographer. Video is a different ball game that I don't quite understand yet.

Yeah AF seems to be a very strong point here. It looks like it'll outperform all other vlogging cameras. But I mostly shoot stills. I wouldn't mind super fast new AF but it's already great on my 5D4.

But I don't understand how people discuss and review it as if it were a pure video camera. Like in this review quoted above:
- that review is practically useless to me to be honest. Ok the guys who reviewed it might be concerned specifically about video, but so are commentators below. And so are many people in this thread.

Upvote 0
Yep I've already figured the price :)

Among existing Canon FF owners, I think 5DMkIV owners won't upgrade to R (some may consider it as a secondary camera). There's no or little point to change 5D4 for R. Flip screen is the only major advantage. I think R fills the gap between 6DMkII and 5DMkIV, but it's closer to 6DMkII. So 6D or 6DMkII owners may consider upgrading to R.

For those who don't have an FF, R is a great option to start. R is more expensive than 6DMkII but so much better in all areas. If its price drops to around $2000, it'll probably kill 6DII in a while.

But I have no idea how/if it's going to compete against Nikon Z6. Apart from IBIS, Z6 is weaker, and the initial Z lenses are so-so, but it's all cheaper.

Another potential rival, A7rIII has better specs but much more expensive, it's a different category.

So my feeling is, the current price is a bit too much, but only a little bit. But Canon has much more powerful marketing department than my marketing intuition, so I bet this camera will sell well.

The competitor of Z6 and EOS R is not A7r3, it is A7iii which is much better in almost every aspect than z6/EOS R (and the $1.999 price tag).

Upvote 0
It's been noted in the reviews, and is not at all surprising given the slow readout of the sensor. 120 fps topping out at 720p is a good indicator of sensor readout. It's basically the same sensor as the 5D mark IV. The reason Nikon and Panasonic have had access to faster readout sensors is because they focus their resources on fine tuning Sony sensors instead of trying to build the entire sensor from the ground up. Though, none of them are still as advance as the 5 year old Samsung DSLR.
Hopefully they read the full sensor for both 4K and 1080p, no line-skipping. That's Sony's secret sauce for high quality video without moire and aliasing.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
- it doesn't call it the same as the 5D IV, but it looks pretty darn close. I could have sworn I read it somewhere, but I can't remember where. I'll touch back if I find it, but for now the Canon marketing video gives you a pretty good idea.
On the bright side, the camera will take an EF-S lens and if you use that to film 4K you will have a near full APS-C equivalent readout. It's certainly not the best option, but it is better than the 5D IV's implementation of 4K.

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
The competitor of Z6 and EOS R is not A7r3, it is A7iii which is much better in almost every aspect than z6/EOS R (and the $1.999 price tag).
"Better" is highly subjective. For me, it comes down to:

Stay with Canon:
pros
- get full use of my EF lenses
- get full use of my flash accessories
- menu system that I'm comfortable with
- tilty-flippy screen
cons
- lower FPS than I wanted
- eye AF limited by modes
- no dual card shooting

Move to Sony:
pros
- better FPS
- better eye AF
- dual cards
cons
- gimps my EF lenses (or costly trade to Sony lenses)
- ~30% premium on future Sony lenses
- menu system that is a pain in the rear (to me)
- limited screen articulation (close to useless to me)

Look at the features you actually use and make your choice. For me, Canon's made a bold commitment toward the future offering that sensor at the stated price. They have convinced me they're very serious about FF mirrorless. Now they just need to make the big-boy version of FF mirrorless. I don't even care if loses a bit of resolution. And please, Canon gods... leave that tilty-flippy touchy screen magic right where it is on the next one.

Upvote 0