Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

But, for tracking priority' mode in AF-C, the frame rate drops to just 3 fps.
I saw that as well. I'm more curious about how well the AF can handle fast-moving subjects regardless of the burst speed. I think one of the videos noted that it was very capable for a stationary subject which was moving around, but I am not sure about something more demanding such as birds in flight.

Upvote 0
I was seriously hoping the camera/lens/adapter package would be around 3k. Looks like it's at least 3500 instead.

The a7III is looking pretty good at this point. More realistically I'll be looking at upgrading my prosumer camera setup in the spring. The a7IV should be out by then with even more refinements. I guess I'll have some serious thinking to do. At least it looks like I could use a few of my ef-s lenses on this camera, with much less resolution. The FPS leaves much to be desired if the subject is moving, and looks worse than the 80D I'm currently using.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The R is not an "upgrade" to the 6 or 5 body. It's a different camera altogether. I don't think there will be much issue there. Apart from sensor resolution, the R specs are on par or better than the A7R3 and comes in for $1000 less (plus you get Canon color science which is still better than Sony's). Also there is a yet to be seen second Canon Mirrorless FF body rumored to be revealed early/mid next year that would be an even higher end model than this. I think the price is pretty much dead on. It's much more akin to the 5D4 than the 6D2 and it's only about $400 more than the 6 but $1000 less than the 5. To me it's a steal. But you have to be willing to either use adapters (for those of us who already have extensive EF libraries) or you pick up new glass (which is what I may do)

I don't mind using adapters as long as Canon claims they're going to work flawlessly. But as I stated in one of my previous messages, I can't find major benefits in upgrading from my 5DMkIV to R. It doesn't even look like an upgrade. Flip screen would be nice to have and that's all. I lose dual card slot and GPS and I'm not sure if R is weather-sealed better than 5D4.
Dual card slot is a kinda borderline that makes R the same class as 6DII, not 5D4.

I think Canon will never release 6DMkIII or 5DMkV. We'll have something like 5R to continue 5D line.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 380306

Seems like there is some type of IBIS. At least for video. Is this what others understand to be true?

Yes it seems if you attach older lenses without IS then you have the advantage of using the camera’s 5-axis electronic Image Stabilization however as you point out that is for video only. It a shame it's not for stills as many of us were counting on the IS feature for our older lenses...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't mind using adapters as long as Canon claims they're going to work flawlessly. But as I stated in one of my previous messages, I can't find major benefits in upgrading from my 5DMkIV to R. It doesn't even look like an upgrade. Flip screen would be nice to have and that's all. I lose dual card slot and GPS and I'm not sure if R is weather-sealed better than 5D4.
Dual card slot is a kinda borderline that makes R the same class as 6DII, not 5D4.

I think Canon will never release 6DMkIII or 5DMkV. We'll have something like 5R to continue 5D line.
It's the weather sealing that I am still curious about, but obviously that's pretty hard to validate. A bit troubling that they have some different language on weather sealing than used previously (although I think that was in the leak information to be fair). Further, I haven't seen anything regarding how well that weather sealing works with the adapters, so even as a second body I'd be a bit concerned to use this as a backup to my 5D IV considering what I put that through.

Upvote 0
Looks like I'll finally upgrade my 5d mk2 and Panasonic GX80. Or maybe not, as I have some vintage lenses that get stabilized on the GX80 IBIS. Electronic stabilization, though fixing shaky footage, tends to introduce blur when used with standard 180 degree shutter speeds (at least on 25/30 fps video). But well. Difficult decisions. Maybe wait for the FF Panasonic?

Upvote 0
I suspect Canon will continue to build EF lenses for a long time. Especially for the "big white" category, it will make sense to focus on EF and use an adaptor. It primarily makes sense for Canon to initially focus on the smaller lenses which will be the ones that users who value a more compact system will be looking for.

The people who should probably be more concerned are the owners of EOS M systems. The bit about support for EF-S lenses almost seems to imply that the EOS R system will have include APS-C bodies. What will happen to the EOS M range and EF-M mount?

I don't think that EOS M users need worry. The reason why EF-S is supported is because EF-S is pretty much EF, but restricted. Once you use the EF adaptor on the EOS R, the restriction on the EF-S lens goes away. So the addition of EF-S lenses is a freebee, other than cropping the image down (which is done in software.

The EF-M lens mount is a totally different mount from the EF-M and Canon will have to create a totally separate EFM to R adaptor. Canon would obviously not rush to do that as the EF-M selection is small and not a whole lot of M lenses are out there compared to EF, and they might also not want to do it for segmentation purposes. Or they might just release the EFM to R adaptor later.

In any case, I don't think EF-M is going away.

Upvote 0
...I'd have to think long and hard about moving over to a native RF set of lenses...

Yep. Right now, I know that if I need to jump systems, my EF L glass can reasonably be adapted to other manufacturer's bodies. I don't think there'll be the same incentive for them to adapt RF glass, as that might risk a reverse migration to Canon.

Think I'll be sitting on my current lens purchases for the next 1-2 years to see how this lays out.

Upvote 0
"Better" is highly subjective. For me, it comes down to:

Stay with Canon:
pros
- get full use of my EF lenses
- get full use of my flash accessories
- menu system that I'm comfortable with
- tilty-flippy screen
cons
- lower FPS than I wanted
- eye AF limited by modes
- no dual card shooting

Move to Sony:
pros
- better FPS
- better eye AF
- dual cards
cons
- gimps my EF lenses (or costly trade to Sony lenses)
- ~30% premium on future Sony lenses
- menu system that is a pain in the rear (to me)
- limited screen articulation (close to useless to me)

Look at the features you actually use and make your choice. For me, Canon's made a bold commitment toward the future offering that sensor at the stated price. They have convinced me they're very serious about FF mirrorless. Now they just need to make the big-boy version of FF mirrorless. I don't even care if loses a bit of resolution. And please, Canon gods... leave that tilty-flippy touchy screen magic right where it is on the next one.
The biggest question for me is how the new camera would drive the old EF-s lenses not only in means of photo resolving ability but also AF speed. Even with native lenses (the prices of the lenses are higher than Sony), AF is limited at servo mode. This is a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
But, for tracking priority' mode in AF-C, the frame rate drops to just 3 fps.
This is the biggest negative for me, and pretty much eliminates this camera from action shooting like BIF. However, there are plenty of other uses for which I think it would be a great option. I would really like it for landscape shooting.

Upvote 0
Yep. Right now, I know that if I need to jump systems, my EF L glass can reasonably be adapted to other manufacturer's bodies. I don't think there'll be the same incentive for them to adapt RF glass, as that might risk a reverse migration to Canon.

Think I'll be sitting on my current lens purchases for the next 1-2 years to see how this lays out.
Hi,
I think Canon will still develop new EF mount lens because EF lens can work on EF/RF mount and the drop in filter is really useful.... only those special lens that can take advantage of the close flange distance will use RF mount.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Hopefully they read the full sensor for both 4K and 1080p, no line-skipping. That's Sony's secret sauce for high quality video without moire and aliasing.

That's correct. Now I believe the 5D IV(and likely this camera) crops the sensor down to the point of 1:1 for 4K, just like Magic Lantern when recording at a custom resolution. Sony still struggled with sensor readout speed even with their secret sauce for the first couple generations of the A7R, hence why it performed better in the Super 35 crop mode, and it's part of the reason why they made the lower resolution A7S.

Oddly enough, the D850 performs better than the A7R III, despite starting off with a similar Sony Sensor. Nikon spends most of their R&D building off the already developed Sony sensor and redesigning the pipeline, resulting in a better readout and better color. I wish Canon would follow a similar approach instead of being the jack of all trades and designing almost everything from the ground up.

Upvote 0
This is the biggest negative for me, and pretty much eliminates this camera from action shooting like BIF. However, there are plenty of other uses for which I think it would be a great option. I would really like it for landscape shooting.
Hi,
IMHO, this is not a sport and wildlife camera... it's basically a 6D2 with C-Log 4K. I personally will wait for the next EF or RF mount 7D3 or whatever.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0