Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

Apr 23, 2018
Yep. But I’m not seeing the ‘significant improvements in optical capability’ and ‘substantial reductions in size/weight’ that some people claimed would be the hallmark of lenses designed for FF MILCs. The RF 24-105/4 is optically pretty similar to the EF 24-105/4 II, which is pretty optically similar to its predecessor. The RF version is a little shorter than the EF MkII, and the same size as the EF MkI.

The RF version does use a linear NanoUSM motor (good call on your part!), and it’s focus-by-wire like all the RF lenses. Do you like manual focus with FBW lenses? I have it on my EF-M lenses, and I had it on my 85/1.2L II. Personally, I think it sucks. Actually, you may not care, since you have stated you find manual focus dispensable and irrelevant.

Optically the RF is at least on par with the EF 24-105 II. And it is "a bit smaller & lighter". But "mirrorfree short FFD size advantage" apparently is not very large at 105mm focal length. Will be interesting to see whether or not Canon manages to get more size advantage for [possible future] RF 24-70/4 and 16-35/4 lenses ... and smaller primes with "moderately fast" aperture.

Focus by wire - with a "really right" implementation [lag-free, totally responsive, smooth stepless control, no "play"] I am sure it is better than mechanical gears. Hope it is done well on the RF lenses.

Personally I hardly ever use manual focusing. I prefer a good AF system doing its job. And yes, I'd buy lenses without focus ring if they were available.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Yep I've already figured the price :)

Among existing Canon FF owners, I think 5DMkIV owners won't upgrade to R (some may consider it as a secondary camera). There's no or little point to change 5D4 for R. Flip screen is the only major advantage. I think R fills the gap between 6DMkII and 5DMkIV, but it's closer to 6DMkII. So 6D or 6DMkII owners may consider upgrading to R.

For those who don't have an FF, R is a great option to start. R is more expensive than 6DMkII but so much better in all areas. If its price drops to around $2000, it'll probably kill 6DII in a while.

But I have no idea how/if it's going to compete against Nikon Z6. Apart from IBIS, Z6 is weaker, and the initial Z lenses are so-so, but it's all cheaper.

Another potential rival, A7rIII has better specs but much more expensive, it's a different category.

So my feeling is, the current price is a bit too much, but only a little bit. But Canon has much more powerful marketing department than my marketing intuition, so I bet this camera will sell well.
With a £ 750 price gap between the 6D MKII and the EOS-R then your prediction will likely not happen. Canon can afford to lower the price of the 6D MKII and still make good money. Secondly why buy the EOS-R and use an adaptor (another £ 100) when there are cheaper EF lenses than work fine on the 6D MKII without adaptors.

The EOS-R will likely appeal to new users to Canon and to pros / prosumers and less so to the value customers at this point.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yep. But I’m not seeing the ‘significant improvements in optical capability’ and ‘substantial reductions in size/weight’ that some people claimed would be the hallmark of lenses designed for FF MILCs. The RF 24-105/4 is optically pretty similar to the EF 24-105/4 II, which is pretty optically similar to its predecessor. The RF version is a little shorter than the EF MkII, and the same size as the EF MkI.

The RF version does use a linear NanoUSM motor (good call on your part!), and it’s focus-by-wire like all the RF lenses. Do you like manual focus with FBW lenses? I have it on my EF-M lenses, and I had it on my 85/1.2L II. Personally, I think it sucks. Actually, you may not care, since you have stated you find manual focus dispensable and irrelevant.

In one of the canon press clips on youtube they showed a menu on the R camera where you could reverse the focus ring and tweak its sensitivity. That combined with the option to turn on automatic zoom when doing MF sounds like an improvement over the current system.
But the proof is in the pudding :)

Upvote 0

adamfilip

Canadian with 5DM3
Jun 23, 2011
Ontario, Canada
So far I really like this announcement.
Crazy number of AF Points. GREAT!
EYE AF. Amazing. (really the only thing i wanted)
Compatible with EF lenses, Great!
Adapter isnt that crazy expensive!
Body isnt that tiny. Ive got big hands and the Sony A7.. are too small!
over 3Million EVF Points. Great!
Faster SD. Great!
RF Lens Ring for adjustment. COOL!
-6 EV Autofocus. SWEET!
So many great things in this release.

No IBIS.. ok no biggie, my 70-200 Lens has IS already, But i hardly need IS most of the Time
No Dual Card Slots.. Ive never had a SD card fail on me, dont use the 2nd slot in my 5DM3
4K Crop? I dont really shoot video. so this doesnt bother me. but i can understand why others are annoyed

Overall Great Job canon. im switching ASAP!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
It's a pass for me, I'll wait for the higher end model with IBIS, 2 card slots, and 1080p120.
These were the 3 features I needed along side eyeAF...
Do you guys know when can we expect an announcement of the higher end model ?
Probably, realistically sometime in the first quarter of 2019 - maybe mid-to-late January (at the earliest)...

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I guess you can say I've been going through a series of emotions on this camera.
First off, there were the unhappy emotions of what I did not like..
- Slow FPS
- 4K cropped video (honestly I just don't know why they do this in 2018 - if it is due to overheating, then just provide multiple options to the user (i.e. full sensor readout AND cropped video mode) - this is just THE prime example to me of Canon's "subtractive" strategy of providing less, for more cost)
- Essentially same sensor as 5D Mark IV, with possible rolling shutter issues
- The design of the camera body (just looks like a EOS 650 to me, whereas 5D and 1D look like works-of-art)
- The fact that it doesn't natively connect EF lenses
- SD card slot (it doesn't matter whether its one or two slots, but for me, I would have preferred CFexpress)
- Lack of in-body stabilization

Then I started going in-depth into the videos, and there is actually quite a lot that I DO like about this camera..
- Industry-leading AF - I want to see more tests but it looks like a win-win
- Dual Pixel Autofocus
- C-Log
- Articulating flippy screen
- Absolutely incredible RF lens selection, including 28-70 f2 and 50 f1.2

BUT, what I really find revolutionary about this camera is the user experience, enabled by the UI. First off, the UI itself is excellent - as you'd expect from a Canon. But they've really taken it up several notches with the touch-sensitive control bar and controls right on the lenses, basically allowing for enhanced control of ISO/AF/Aperture/Shutter Speed without having your eyes ever leaving the viewfinder. The ability to see the ISO changes and the way they've implemented the UI in the viewfinder is really different from how I typically use a Canon DSLR, and they've solved a ton of UX issues that I've had in general (i.e. having to take my eyes off the viewfinder and look at the buttons I'm pressing for correct selection) - I really think these enhancements make it much easier to keep your eyes in the viewfinder and make the control adjustments you need to make.

Another big thing that isn't being talked about, is the difference in size with the EF adapter versus the F adapter on the Nikon Z. Canon has managed to develop a truly slim-profile adapter that you can barely see and sits flush with the lens - I really prefer their design. I am just not sure if it is fully weather-sealed (not necessarily for this particular body but for a future pro body)

IS IT the camera for me? I would say that the R lineup is definetely for me, but in terms of the camera, I really need something with a faster FPS and full-sensor 4K output if possible. One other thing I found curious is that they call this camera the "R", with no numerical designation. What then, would the "pro" model be referred to as? An RS? RX? etc.. not sure yet.. will be interesting what Canon's roadmap reveals. But without a numbering system, I also wonder how long we will need to wait before an announcement on the next body.

I guess for me it comes down to cash - if I had the money for two cameras, I'd begrudgingly buy this now and buy a second pro body in the future. But since I can really only afford a single body at the moment, I will simply have to wait it out longer. But I do like the direction that Canon is heading into. Future is bright.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

I didn't dig as deep as to realize all the RF lenses were FBW....yuck. I'm also not too thrilled with this.

Upvote 0

Takingshots

Eos R
Feb 6, 2015
Alas, I think it is in the right step for a mirrorless FF with an adapter for my EF Canon lens. I think I will buy one. Canon should match its pricing same as Nikon Z6 and Sony A7iii. It is a little tag high when you have to add the adpater to use your lens + taxes. Canon sure know how to squeeze a few hundred more out of your pocket. Canon, if you are listening... drop your the list price with a promo. 10Q

Upvote 0
54mm vs 45.5mm
20mm vs 18mm

That's the difference between Canon's R mount and Sony's E mount. If you believe https://petapixel.com/2016/04/04/sonys-full-frame-pro-mirrorless-fatal-mistake/, Sony is currently facing challenges designing better lenses due to the small diameter and shorter flange distance.

Not much specs on the Sony comms protocol but I am sure that Canon has worked out the requirements of future lenses and given the new mount a "high-speed" protocol.

So if you are jumping off to Sony, good luck!

Upvote 0
Yep learned my lesson. Hard discounts on canon hardware ? BUYER BEWARE. Now I remember why I stopped visiting the tech and photog hardware geek sites 10 yrs ago when I first got my rebel T1i. My photography was a lot more happier and rewarding doing that. I only wish Canon would have given me at least a year with my new 24-70
2.8 II and 6DII... but even that apparently is too hard nowadays. Perhaps the best thing here is to delete my account here , remove this site’s bookmark and go back to taking photos. My old ass EF junk still works doing that , I think. ::shrugs::

It was a good 3 months while it lasted though, canon rumors.

Upvote 0