Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

The vlogging choices I gave are based on using the camera without a crop, so the 1080 mode or a 4K camera with no or little crop. It's always best to move the camera as far away from you when vlogging, but the tighter the focal length(or equivalent), the shot will have more camera shake. To me, the crop is annoying because I wouldn't want to pay the extra for a full frame and not be able to use it, plus you'd have to change lenses when switching from photos to video. For some like yourself, it may not be a problem.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Upvote 0
"This system is a marketing tool to enforce customer brand fidelity, not made with the photog in mind at-all. This system is a self-defense system for Canon. The new enhanced lens communication that facilitate the extra control ring on the lens is actually made to make you as a user more dependent on the canon line. Once you start getting used with this control system you will find harder to use other systems and psychologically a conditioning will occur to become a canon conservative. Next is the lack of IBIS and as i noticed no mention of focus peaking. Without these features you won't be able to easily use any full manual lenses either vintage or lenses like Samyang, Laowa, or Mayer Optics and Zeiss on the more expensive side. Even if you can use them your life will continue to be harder... so you will tend to keep using Canon lenses. With this approach, Canon probably also want to secure that they can justify the extra money they charge for the lenses, the extra control ring is an exclusive feature, also they can still justify and sell the IS in each lens since no IBIS. As a side-note is interesting to see if Canon will allow 3rd party lens manufacturers like SIgma or Tamron to implement the new control ring, also is questionable if that will be even profitable for Sigma and Tamron, since those lenses would be Canon only... I think in the long run this road is a bad one for Canon, since for creators on a lower budget like myself, or young creators who want to step up their game, Sony offers a solid system, where they can start with cheap good full manual lenses, possibility to adapt almost anything efficiently, offering also a growing collection of high-end lenses. I am really disappointed by Canon. I was really open to change my plans from buying a Sony. My first conclusion would be: stay away from Canon if you value gear versatility. Even if i own 6 Canon lenses and i plan also adding one of the more advanced film EOS camera to my kit, I think in respect of full frame mirrorless a Sony camera would fit much better as a versatile workhorse, allowing me to easily use and experiment with a huge range of lenses out there in the wild, many at much lower prices, yet delivering very good image quality."
(Actually i wouldn't be surprised if Sony execs now are rolling on the floor laughing)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
...I don't think this is intended to compete with the a7RIII...

Lord, I hope not. It's not even really competing with the A73, despite being $300 more.

...I am betting on a higher resolution version which has more of the features expected in a 5D series camera...

My hope as well. The EOS R isn't by itself going to be enough to retain the customer base. I'm already going to have to buy a body, with the EOS R, and adapt all my current EF L glass. Since adapting is a given, there's nothing to say that other platforms wouldn't be a better long-term option.

Holding for the next Canon announcement, but honestly my dollars will go to whomever offers the best solution when it's time, despite my fondness for Canon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Focus by wire - with a "really right" implementation [lag-free, totally responsive, smooth stepless control, no "play" I am sure it is better than mechanical gears. Hope it is done well on the RF lenses.
I’m not convinced it’s better than a mechanical coupling, if nothing else because of the lack of tactile feedback. There’s a reason we’re seeing more haptics in touchscreens. Implementation is also key. For example, the MF implementation on some STM lenses (e.g. the M18-150) has a variable focus throw – if you turn the MF ring rapidly, the focus throw is much shorter than if you turn it slowly. That’s hard to become accustomed to, particularly without the tactile feedback (Basically, you don’t develop the muscle memory).

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
Might be like the “D” in 5D. The 5R, perhaps?
More likely R5... like M5.
I doubt it.. it is not like Canon released a DSLR called the "Canon D". Something tells me this is a bit different - had Canon called this a R5 or R10 or whatever then it would've made sense, but this is different for sure.
My guess is that they will use a different naming scheme than before, perhaps aligning to Sony, and calling a "pro" version an R-X and a "sport" version an R-S

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I think in respect of full frame mirrorless a Sony camera would fit much better as a versatile workhorse, allowing me to easily use and experiment with a huge range of lenses out there in the wild, many at much lower prices, yet delivering very good image quality.
(Actually i wouldn't be surprised if Sony execs now are rolling on the floor laughing)

I think some underestimate the giant Canon marketing machine. They may not be laughing for very long...

Anyway, more competition is always a good thing. And it appears that each system brings its own unique set of strengths and weaknesses that appeal to different groups of photographers. Especially now with both Nikon and Canon users needing to invest in a new lens system regardless, for those ready to leap, there’s probably no better time than now to look over at what the other systems offer and evaluate the best fit for you as a shooter. Gonna be an interesting next few years.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
This seems to be a very solid offering. It won't replace my 5DIV, but at about $1,000 less, I wouldn't expect it to. Looks like Canon made reasonable compromises to keep the price competitive without sacrificing anything really important to the majority of users. I didn't really think I'd be interested in a mirrorless camera, but this has me thinking that at some point in the future I might consider moving in that direction.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I didn't really think I'd be interested in a mirrorless camera, but this has me thinking that at some point in the future I might consider moving in that direction.

Agreed. But there are still major cons to MILC that will have me sticking with DSLR (at least as my primary camera) for the foreseeable future:

1) AF tracking ability
2) FPS
3) Battery life
4) Shutter lag, especially in low light

Fix these 4 items and I will consider moving on. Item number 4 in particular is bothersome to me and I’ve missed shots on numerous occasions with my M6/M10 because of it. Does the new R address this problem?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
It's interesting that the EF-EOS M adapter, which is basically an extension tube, is $199 US,while the basic EF-EOS R adapter, which may contain electronics, is half that price. Of course the reason may be that EOS M cameras typically don't have the power to drive the larger EOS lenses so Canon wants to discourage the use of the M adapter.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
I think many of us here want a 5D level body with the advantages of a mirrorless, and this isn't that camera so it's tough to talk about what's right and wrong about it.
I'm looking for better studio flash tricks.The slower sync speed and loss of the PC port are problems.
I don't see information indicating whether it'll support 2nd curtain sync with 3rd party triggers or if that's artificially restricted to canon branded speedlights.
I don't see mention of support for something like electronic 2nd curtain to boost effective sync speed, though that is the sort of thing a firmware update could add if Canon decided to allow it. The other options suggest the hardware could do it.
I think I'll need to sit on the fence for now.

For all the talk of Sony switching - the specific situations I'd like a better tool for don't demand fast focus at all. It's tempting to buy something that metabones can adapt my EF lenses too and use that body for only those situations without investing in any glass on the other system - so I can get the shots I'm after now without having to wait. (I'm interested in pics more than gear - but I need the gear that'll make it happen) I'd continue using the 5D for everything else. Then make a call about the future once I can see Canon's direction with the bodies. (I'd hate to switch from EF - lots of money in the lenses/speedlights and I'm not a pro - just an enthusiast who got carried away)

Anyone who has tried adapting to get a second body have any luck? I've got a friend out of town with an A7RII and my adapted lenses seemed fine over a couple day visit, but that was a limited test.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
"This system is a marketing tool to enforce customer brand fidelity, not made with the photog in mind at-all. This system is a self-defense system for Canon. The new enhanced lens communication that facilitate the extra control ring on the lens is actually made to make you as a user more dependent on the canon line. Once you start getting used with this control system you will find harder to use other systems and psychologically a conditioning will occur to become a canon conservative. Next is the lack of IBIS and as i noticed no mention of focus peaking. Without these features you won't be able to easily use any full manual lenses either vintage or lenses like Samyang, Laowa, or Mayer Optics and Zeiss on the more expensive side. Even if you can use them your life will continue to be harder... so you will tend to keep using Canon lenses. With this approach, Canon probably also want to secure that they can justify the extra money they charge for the lenses, the extra control ring is an exclusive feature, also they can still justify and sell the IS in each lens since no IBIS. As a side-note is interesting to see if Canon will allow 3rd party lens manufacturers like SIgma or Tamron to implement the new control ring, also is questionable if that will be even profitable for Sigma and Tamron, since those lenses would be Canon only... I think in the long run this road is a bad one for Canon, since for creators on a lower budget like myself, or young creators who want to step up their game, Sony offers a solid system, where they can start with cheap good full manual lenses, possibility to adapt almost anything efficiently, offering also a growing collection of high-end lenses. I am really disappointed by Canon. I was really open to change my plans from buying a Sony. My first conclusion would be: stay away from Canon if you value gear versatility. Even if i own 6 Canon lenses and i plan also adding one of the more advanced film EOS camera to my kit, I think in respect of full frame mirrorless a Sony camera would fit much better as a versatile workhorse, allowing me to easily use and experiment with a huge range of lenses out there in the wild, many at much lower prices, yet delivering very good image quality."

I agree on much of your points here, apart from the Sony-parts. Personally I would never invest in Sony. They made a big mistake when they chose their FF lens mount, which is too narrow. It will be a big problem for them, and I believe it will be their loosing factor.

Personally, I find the Nikon Z release to be better than Canons. IBIS is a big deal, and their lenses are more reasonably put together with regards to size and weight. Nikon released a road map for planned lenses, which I also think was a smart move.

As a Canon user, I don’t see much reason to invest in the RF line in addition to the EF line I am invested in. GAS for RF killed by lack of IBIS and small and lightweight lenses.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
FWIW I think it should be possible to adapt FD lenses to R, something that was not really possible with EF.
I'm surprised they didn't include an R-mount ultrawide in the announcement. Such a lens stands to benefit most from the new mount format.

You can put FD lenses on EF. I’ve done it. The adapters unfortunately have added glass that is sub par compared to the lens glass. I had one of my FD lenses sent off and converted to a hard EF mount recently. It works great for a film look. There are a few places that will convert them. I have an adapter for the EOS-M mount as well for some of my other FD glass, thankfully no added glass elements are needed in the FD - EOS M adapters. Hopefully they will make an adapter that doesn’t need added glass elements in it for the RF mount.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
I doubt it.. it is not like Canon released a DSLR called the "Canon D". Something tells me this is a bit different - had Canon called this a R5 or R10 or whatever then it would've made sense, but this is different for sure.
My guess is that they will use a different naming scheme than before, perhaps aligning to Sony, and calling a "pro" version an R-X and a "sport" version an R-S

God I hope the Mark 2 of this thing is called R2-D2.... :p

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Buy the control ring adaptor and you'll have the same user experience as the RF lenses. Done.

Upvote 0