Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R system

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Canon did and it ships next month. The EOS R shoots 4K at 10-bit 4.2.2 vs the Sony A7III oversampled 4K at 8-bit. I’ll take the extra dynamic ranger and color data for a midrange digital stills camera.

You're using "oversampled" as a negative. It very clearly and visibly was a positive in the videos I looked at on YouTube. Which is contrary to what you claimed earlier. The A7 III footage was sharp and detailed.

FF 4k is also positive in terms of DoF (obvious) and a huge positive for high ISO video. Now throw in 1080p/120.

There are things to like in the EOS R. Heck, despite higher specs in the Nikon Z7 I think the R is fundamentally the better body. Nikon blew it on some key points. But the R's video specs simply fall short.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The HIGHER RESOLUTION option that the processor is limited to is cropped. .

This!

One advantage of a crop factor is that if the stuff you want to video is small, like a bird, it behaves like, well, a crop camera :) I mean, who says you always want to shoot wide?

But anyways, I'm talking out of my rear, because I've shot probably less than 60 minutes of video on a DSLR since it was possible, and have no desire to with a mirrorless. I do own thousand-dollar-ish camcorder that we use for family video type stuff, which my wife far prefers it for casual videos than camera format device. But these days, most casual videos we just take from smartphones anyways.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
For many the 10-18mm stm will be just fine on this R camera. Of course it's not a high end video production lens but for average joe videos and vlogging it's a great lens IMO. I've actually got some pretty decent landscape shots with this lens stopped down a bit and I think the color and sharpness is rather good. (not perfect).

My guess is that 95% or more of those that actually buy this camera will not be high end production video makers, pro photographers, or major pixel-peepers and this camera will be great for them. (even with a 10-18 stm lens)

My other guess is that this EOS R will be one of Canons biggest sellers, perhaps of 2018 and surely going in to 2019. Can't wait to see what their higher end version will be!

This is actually the first Crop or FF Mirrorless that has really caught my attention.....(but I'm 100% happy with my current gear)
I think the EFS 10-18 is a fantastic lens for the .price and it's super light. It's a fraction of the price of the 16-35, and takes beautiful photos. It's one of my favorite EFS lenses for 80D.

I think the EOS R will be a great seller for Canon, simply because it's different. There are a lot of Canon enthusaiasts who would like to spend some money on something that isn't just another iteration of their xxD and xD collection with a bunch of spec bumps. I mean, even though I had my issues with the Sony A7R3, I certainly had a lot of fun playing with it, and mostly because it was so different.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You're using "oversampled" as a negative. It very clearly and visibly was a positive in the videos I looked at on YouTube. Which is contrary to what you claimed earlier. The A7 III footage was sharp and detailed.
[..]

For me 'oversampling' means sampling more than you will use in the output, but I've seen it being used to describe pixel binning and lineskipping as well. In the case of using the full sensor readout and scaling it down to 4k the algorithm used also matters. Nearest-neighbour isn't that much better than pixel binning and lineskipping. Have a look at wikipedia: Comparison gallery of image scaling algorithms

If Canon would give us full sensor readout with something akin to bicubic downscaling and not turn it into mush with a poor video codec a lot of people would be very happy.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Yes, for videographers wanting the latest 4K technology, the EOS R is underwhelming. Canon tries to sell the crop factor as an advantage for wildlife photography, but everybody knows that they simply try to protect their Cinema EOS pro series. So, I think, Sony is still where to go for those wanting the best video in a compact body.

For me personally, this is no real drawback, since I prefer to shoot stills and do video only occasionally. For stills I am sure that the EOS R is a solid offering - not really for action such as sports or wildlife. But I decided now to wait if the prices for the EOS R camera may drop a bit. It's the new RF lenses that attract me, the fast 50 and the mouth watering 2/28-70.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The White paper contains a lot of good information. Especially on the RF lenses ... comparing them to EF lenses ... in surprisingly clear language. Not seen such clean cut "direct comparison to other Canon products" before in a Canon White paper. Recommended read.
https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/misc-pages/eos-r/pdf/canon_eos_r_white_paper.pdf

@neuroanatomist you may want to have a look at p. 22ff ... the new "Thin-type" Nano USM AF drive implemented in the RF 24-105 and optical performance compared to EF 24-105/4 L IS II and EF 24-105/3.5-6.3 :)

Thank you, fullstop, this is really interesting to read.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Another question for those wanting some of the new RF lenses in combo with a Sony A series camera for better video will be: are 2 mm flange distance difference enough for a working adapter? Simple mechanical solutions such as the Leica M mount to M39 adapters are no problem but for an adapter providing full electronic lens-camera communication that could be a challenge. Interesting to see if Metabones & Co will be able to come with a satisfying solution...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Another question for those wanting some of the new RF lenses in combo with a Sony A series camera for better video will be: are 2 mm flange distance difference enough for a working adapter?
Not with a mount as narrow as Sony's.

Even if the flange distance difference were enough to accept bayonet tabs and electrical contacts (which it isn't), the mount throat by itself could cause vignetting with RF lenses.

Upvote 0
One advantage of a crop factor is that if the stuff you want to video is small, like a bird, it behaves like, well, a crop camera :) I mean, who says you always want to shoot wide?

+1

I don't do video really, but if I did, it'd be mostly birds, and the crop factor works in our favour here. Given there are ways around it for the wide stuff (I know it's not ideal, but there are FF lenses going to what? 8mm? And in this case with EF-S lenses wider options aren't *too* expensive), I find the wailing and gnashing of teeth a bit much - but I accept I'm in a minority here.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
This!

But anyways, I'm talking out of my rear, because I've shot probably less than 60 minutes of video on a DSLR since it was possible, and have no desire to with a mirrorless. I do own thousand-dollar-ish camcorder that we use for family video type stuff, which my wife far prefers it for casual videos than camera format device. But these days, most casual videos we just take from smartphones anyways.

Let's not start glorifying this feature (why not buy an M50 then, it has an even better crop factor). One the one hand, almost all the Cinema line uses a sensor size not too far away from that, and now it (finally) accepts EF-S lenses, so not being able to shoot wide is less of a problem than with a 5D IV. So it is a workable limitation. Changing the Cinema 4k 1.74x to UHD 1.8x is just Canon screwing with customers, because in other aspects, this camera is so much better featured.

But just because you have crop mode, it does still lack the availability to use senses with the same field of view for stills and 4k video and FOV difference between them is really big. That's actually very annoying.

With the Sony you have perfectly usable FF AND APS-C modes(now with a touch of a button), not the mention the Clear Image Zoom, which is implemented really well - yes, in the right mode, it does make zooming with a prime possible with no quality loss at all. Of course they have many other flaws, but in this regard, they are simply better featured.

The rolling shutter not really being improved is probably an even bigger disappointment.
But even with all this crippling, it is actually a great camera for video, where whatever works that's been 'kept', it does so really well...

It's like a deserted tropical island, with a slowly growing number of more beautiful trees. But others are building forests.
Canon has one too, but it is located in a place called the "C" but they do also have a lot of EF wood populators under their disposal which can sometimes serve to the competition as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm not arguing your point about Canon but I don't think Apple is a good counter example.

Apple is a closed ecosystem, even more so than Canon. There are many features not in a iPhone that are in competitors--for example a head phone jack and removable SD card. They don't include those features because they don't think that they are needed. They have an idea on what the Apple experience is and they don't care if Samsung or another competitor offers features they don't agree are necessary. They are "Apple" and they know what their customers want and need. Canon is much the same way. They don't think IBIS is necessary. The internet commenters think that's BS. They don't really care so long as they get the market share their are hoping for. Since Canon usually dominates any market it enters, expecting them to change is likely wishful thinking.
Apple doesn't what the people need. Everyone individual is different. Companies like that do a low level brainwashing. They make you think what you need and dont need with flowery speeches and cool advertising. Then when they add something the competition had for years, the loyal users get amnesia of how they bashed that item or feature. I am an android and windows user for that reason. Cameras are more of a tactile tool so I stick with Canon. But we don't tell a company to tell us how to think especially when the "inferior" competition shows that the number one brand is capable of so much more plus the fact that they have so much money to do so(Canon mainly for the latter.) At the end of the day some brands are more concerned about profit and not giving us the best but most reasonable offering possible and it wont change as long as people defend business for being business.

Upvote 0
After all the rumors, the leaked specs, the official release, the videos, white papers, etc. all I can say is...

Meh.

I'm looking for a FF backup to my 5Ds. I held off to see what Canon's new FF MILC would be like. If it had checked certain boxes at $2,300 it would have been an easy preorder. Instead I have no interest. Worse, I find myself wondering if Canon really is screwing up like the shills have been screaming.

When it comes to video the EOS R is dead on arrival. Reading more about it the 4k crop is closer to 1.8x than 1.7x. At that point you might as well shoot a GH5 or BlackMagic PCC. It can't do 4k/60p, it can't do 1080/120p, and it can't do 4:2:2 internal. The ONLY video feature it has going for it is DPAF. That's it.

What about stills? It does deliver the 5D4 sensor at $2,300. That's a good sensor at a good price for someone who wants Canon glass and a USA warranty. But if my backup is for stills only I can gray market another 5Ds or 5Dsr, get considerably better IQ, and save a couple hundred. Or spend a bit more on a gray market 5D4 and get higher fps. What does the EOS R bring to the table? EVFs are inferior to OVFs. I don't need Eye AF. It doesn't have IBIS for adapted glass. What does it offer me on stills? Nothing really. Don't get me wrong, it will be a solid stills camera. So if it had solid video specs it would be an easy buy. But with crippled video there are simply better options.

Right now I'm in a situation where I might as well split my kit between stills and video. Do I get an A73 since I can adapt all my EF lenses and it can serve as yet another stills backup in a pinch? (Even though I hate Sony color science and ergonomics.) Do I get a Fuji XT3 and have a Canon FF stills kit and a lightweight Fuji crop stills/4k video kit? Will Panasonic win me over with their new FF camera? I don't know. But I do know there's a high probability I will be adding non-Canon equipment soon. And that is entirely Canon's fault.

There's no excuse what-so-ever for crippling the video features on the R. I don't want to hear "but the 5D4." You know what would happen if the R blew the 5D4 away on video? 5D4 owners would add the R and keep shooting both, just for different things. And Canon might feel some pressure to bring out a 5D5 sooner. That would be a good thing.

For the record: I love my 5Ds and my L glass. The 5Ds model is now three years old. Go ahead and show up with a brand new D850 or A7R III. Talk about DxO scores all you want. I'll make prints all day long that match or beat them on IQ, from the lowest to the highest ISO. The IQ off that 50mp sensor with Canon's best glass in front of it is jaw dropping. It beats 6x9 film, holds its own against MF digital (in the same resolution class), and can even hold its own against 4x5 except at really huge print sizes. It's phenomenal. Even at high ISO (contrary to many reviews).

And Canon's lens library? Awesome. Best in the business.

So why did they insist on blowing it when it came to their first FF mirrorless?
Canon has released an entry level mirrorless camera and and in your opinion have blown it. Do the entry level mirror slappers satisfy you? Consider waiting for a higher end model, or move on to your dream brand camera. This is the current state of things and no amout of tears or gnashing of teeth is going to change anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
All I want is a silent shutter for wildlife photography , I hope the Pro version fulfils my needs. Sony A9 does 20 fps RAW in silent mode , but 8+ would do me.
Any ideas when the Pro version specs will be announced ?
Thanks
What you need for that is a rolling shutter with a really fast readout. When you are photographing action more fps is not enough if you have a ton of rolling shutter in your images. It is for animals standing reasonably still where there might not be a huge need to that many fps so after they come up with the promised EOS R firmware update to enable silent continuous mode not sure how many fps, but it will be usable up to a point withing its limitations (again, not for action).

Currently they have the 1DXII sensor which could be updated to this, but it is not going to be hugely better than the EOS R there is still going to be rolling shutter, just less of it and if we (very vaguely) suppose the readout to be 1.5x faster because of less megapixels, so silent continous fps can be increased a bit, but not a lot.

There will be stacked sensors later on of course, but not now, this (or generally wow-ing customers with anything groundbreaking) does not seem to be a priority at this moment.

In short, if this is the one and only feature that you need, you may need an A9 because everything in it was designed with this one feature in mind.
Not only it has the stacked sensor, but the readout method uses four lines in one go, so the shutter runs at 1/160 speed which is not far off from the mechanical shutter, and coupled with the help of internal processing called "Anti-Distortion Shutter" makes it work with minor limitations for almost every situation as the AF was also designed to work together with all of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Another question for those wanting some of the new RF lenses in combo with a Sony A series camera for better video will be: are 2 mm flange distance difference enough for a working adapter? Simple mechanical solutions such as the Leica M mount to M39 adapters are no problem but for an adapter providing full electronic lens-camera communication that could be a challenge. Interesting to see if Metabones & Co will be able to come with a satisfying solution...

In all likelihood not possible. RF are for 54mm throat width, Sony E-mount is too narrow, especially with only 2mm FFD difference.

Upvote 0