Canon officially announces the Canon EOS Ra astrophotography camera

It would have been interesting if Canon managed to produce a few batches of sensors that dosen't have a color filter array at all. So basically a black&white sensor and also remove use an IR and Moire filter at all.
Then a Dual Pixel Raw file would be a really interesting file to play with.
The EF-RF adapter with drop-in filter would be an interesting tool to use different filters for several important wavelengths that are important for Astro photography (besides the h-alpha like) like UV and certain visible wavelength. But maybe this limits the use only for use with telescopes and tracking system but not for example night-sky shots.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
So this is a good use of Canon's development resources but a dedicated mirrorless body for Video is too much of a "niche" product. :rolleyes:
They have plenty of dedicated mirrorless bodies for video. It's called the cinema range. I am surprised you haven't heard of them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It would have been interesting if Canon managed to produce a few batches of sensors that dosen't have a color filter array at all. So basically a black&white sensor and also remove use an IR and Moire filter at all.
Then a Dual Pixel Raw file would be a really interesting file to play with.
The EF-RF adapter with drop-in filter would be an interesting tool to use different filters for several important wavelengths that are important for Astro photography (besides the h-alpha like) like UV and certain visible wavelength. But maybe this limits the use only for use with telescopes and tracking system but not for example night-sky shots.

I'd be very interested in this too. There are a lot of people who would love a high resolution no-compromise mono sensor camera with IR capabilities. IR cut filter in an RF-EF adaptor would be super. But this is even more niche than astro, so it's probably just better to wait for the EOS R II to come out and get my EOS R modified by a third party.

Still, even then it's not perfect because the RAW conversion assumes the pixels are RGBG, so you'd really need a new raw converter that understood each pixel was a grey pixel of equivalent luminosity.

Upvote 0
I'd be very interested in this too. There are a lot of people who would love a high resolution no-compromise mono sensor camera with IR capabilities. IR cut filter in an RF-EF adaptor would be super. But this is even more niche than astro, so it's probably just better to wait for the EOS R II to come out and get my EOS R modified by a third party.

Still, even then it's not perfect because the RAW conversion assumes the pixels are RGBG, so you'd really need a new raw converter that understood each pixel was a grey pixel of equivalent luminosity.

There is actually a really powerful and customizable RAW converter. The interface can be a little overloaded but for special stuff I think it's great:

Edit: sorry I meant RawTherapee

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
A neutrino oscillation sensitive sensor technology would be nice - c'mon Canon!
Been there, done that, but it only has 9600 pixels and is not very portable. On the plus side, if you want to take neutrino pictures 6500 feet below Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, the gear is there!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Been there, done that, but it only has 9600 pixels and is not very portable. On the plus side, if you want to take neutrino pictures 6500 feet below Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, the gear is there!

Yeah, the portability is definitely an issue.
And the images you get are not really usable.
Imagine a photo shoot with a model and all you get are one or two pixels of exposure a day... But not from your model as all neutrinos pass just right through her.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is something that I really don’t understand....

Oly has all models sealed, including the bottom of the lineup. Why is this absent on so many cameras from so many manufacturers?
Wish I knew. They say Canon's R isn't very well sealed either. My wife's Olympus E-M5 Mark II got really soaked at a splash pad, and I mean drenched. No problem whatsoever. That's one thing I can say good about Olympus. I thought for sure it would be ruined as it took a direct hit from a torrent of water. Nope. It never missed a beat. I love the build quality of the Olympus Pro lenses. I just wish Olympus made FF and could sort out their nightmare menu system. I'll never worry about the Oly getting wet. Not ever.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Wish I knew. They say Canon's R isn't very well sealed either. My wife's Olympus E-M5 Mark II got really soaked at a splash pad, and I mean drenched. No problem whatsoever. That's one thing I can say good about Olympus. I thought for sure it would be ruined as it took a direct hit from a torrent of water. Nope. It never missed a beat. I love the build quality of the Olympus Pro lenses. I just wish Olympus made FF and could sort out their nightmare menu system. I'll never worry about the Oly getting wet. Not ever.
Yes!

Canon really got the user interface and menu system right. They were awful slow to the game with touchscreens, but when it finally arrived , the first rendition beat the competition.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

Not only that but Olympus has an M5 mark II!!! :p

Upvote 0