Canon officially announces the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM Macro

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
There is no place for this lens in your bag, but that doesn't mean there is no place for it on the market…
Exactly!

Right now, of all the cameras in the Canon lineup, the one that appeals to me the most is the M6II. It is small and light! Sometimes that counts more than everything else. Yes, for some people F2 primes are the way to go, but others either can’t afford them, or don’t want to carry the extra weight. An R camera with this lens makes a reasonably sized and priced alternative. Yes, there is a hit to image quality, but it is still head and shoulders above a cell phone

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Exactly!

Right now, of all the cameras in the Canon lineup, the one that appeals to me the most is the M6II. It is small and light! Sometimes that counts more than everything else. Yes, for some people F2 primes are the way to go, but others either can’t afford them, or don’t want to carry the extra weight. An R camera with this lens makes a reasonably sized and priced alternative. Yes, there is a hit to image quality, but it is still head and shoulders above a cell phone

It is MUCH better than a cell phone.

Having not made the jump to full frame yet, I can attest it's an excellent camera. The only reason to stop and think about buying it is if you want to both use the viewfinder AND run an external flash. (My other gripe is no flip screen, but that's not an absolute show stopper even for me. I just hope nothing dings up the display.) The sensor is no slouch when it comes to resolution. I put an 100-400 LII on an adapter and got very good results at a zoo the other day (first serious use of that lens, for me); in fact the crop probably helped me in many cases with shooting through fences, etc., because at max zoom I could shoot through the "diamond" in a chain link fence and not capture any of the fence itself.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
LOL the 7.1 comments popping up all over the interwebs are hilarious. I shoot at f/8-22 all the time. Ever do macro? Landscapes? A long tele with a TC? What happened to the film rules which still hold true about f/8 and be there. the sunny f/16 rule. This lens is not an L series piece of glass and is consumer grade with an appropriate focal length and aperture spread for the price. It is super compact, versatile and probably wonderful optics (we shall see) Any early dismissals are purely internet knee jerk spec sheet bravado. It's clearly not for everyone but it will be a wonderful addition to many peoples kits.

These days people can only shoot with 100 megapixels, 15 stop IBIS and F0.5 aperture lenses.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Yes, I'm sure many forum dwellers think that 7.1 is 2 stops slower than 5.6 - rather than only 2/3rds of a stop. And with lens IS, you won't have any trouble shooting on a cloudy day. Somehow, in the film days we shot at f/8, on ISO 100 film with no lens or body stabilization. We must have been geniuses!
We didn't print very large back then.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Somehow, in the film days we shot at f/8, on ISO 100 film with no lens or body stabilization. We must have been geniuses!
I started on ASA 10 color slide film and then upgraded to ASA 25. No ISO back in the 1950's. There was faster B&W film. My use of mostly slow slide film turned out to be a good choice, that Kodachrome film has not faded over the years.

I think I used lenses that were f/2, or f/2.8, so that helped. I wanted the Canon 7 viewfinder body with the f/0.95 lens, but could not justify the cost since I was just starting on my first job after college, and buying a house was first priority. I did get a Canon FTb in time for my firstborn, using that 50mm f/1.8 lens in a dark hospital with ektachrome ASA 64 film was a problem. I had built a dark room in a corner of my garage / workshop and developed it myself. The emulsion cracked a little, but I still have the film. I need to find it and scan it, its buried in boxes of old photos and slides not yet scanned.

Upvote 0