Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Jan 12, 2011
two different cameras with two different intents. I own both of those as well. Perhaps, like you, I also bought the Eos R for its video feature set (And to replace my aging and moisture damaged 5D3) If all the Dx3 will be (so far as video) is an Eos R in a bigger box, then keep the R. I dunno what sort of video work you do, but mounting and balancing the DX2 on a gimbal (i have the Ronin M) is a PAIN In the butt compared to the R. Even if I were to upgrade to the DX3 from my DX2, I’d still keep the R. Might wanna think on it too.

All that said, There’s a lot of sizzle here in this release with no steak yet (so far as more detailed specifics go). If the sensor goes to 24MP and some sharp improvements in the higher ISOs, then it may be worth the plunge.

otherwise this will be a great upgrade to the original 1DX users out there.

Maybe Neuro finally upgrades?

I need a second R. Care to donate? ;)

Haha, awesome. Glad to know Canon still values high quality video, at least in their flagship stills cameras.

Since a ton of people have blown a gasket on here for suggesting that Canon put 4K video in a stills camera, I just have jump the gun and say:

(*Sarcasm alert*)

"Wait a second- Why would ANY stills camera need 4K 60p and 10-bit? Professional video makers should just use dedicated cinema video cameras for their projects, not stills cameras, cough, cough, vitriol, vitriol...Canon doesn't have the capability anyway...get off this forum, you troll."

(*End sarcasm*)

Just a reminder: I've been on the forum 8 years. Still not a troll. And glad Canon is still on the 4K video train. This camera should show folks that they do indeed have the capability to put awesome video in a stills camera, when they want to impress. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I know, it is still impressive as you have to read the sensor to calculate AF. Sony can do 10fps, even Olympus with its smaller shutter can run AF at 10fps although the shutter can do 15fps.
It's a matter of both shutter speed and image processing performance. The Olympus E-M1 Mark II can do 10fps CAF, 15fps SAF, with the mechanical shutter, 18fps CAF, 60fps SAF with electronic shutter. The mirror + shutter is the physical limit, and while that's slowly increased, they're probably close to the limits for these by now. Canon's unlikely to skimp on image processing power in a flagship camera, of course. And their PDAF sensors are getting huge these days, to allow for some of the mirrorless-camera image processing tricks. `

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Absolutely! It is a tank. Would you drive a tank on daily basis?

I wish! (do you have one for sale?)

The way drivers drive today, with their cellphone at one hand? I would wish I had a tank to drive, at least I won't be worried from those drivers that "sail" on the road while texting!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When they mention "Deep Learning" I wonder if that means some kind of machine learning? That requires a lot of processing power, so it sounds like they really upped the power in this thing.
Probably something like the Olympus OM-D E-M1 X autofocus system. It's got deep learning AI models for various kinds of vehicles. So you're shooting an auto race, you put in "automobile" mode, and the camera basically just knows what a car is and locks on. This is not about the camera itself learning, it's based on an AI model built from analysis of many thousands of images. If it's got that AI processor built-in, it's likely they'll have new deep learning models for additional subjects as the software is improved... at least that what you'd expect from a mirrorless company. Not typical for Canon, but they do need to adapt to the market of today.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Just a reminder: I've been on the forum 8 years. Still not a troll. And glad Canon is still on the 4K video train. This camera should show folks that they do indeed have the capability to put awesome video in a stills camera, when they want to impress. :)
The 1D line seems to be the one place Canon does that. The 1DXII had 4k60 and 1080_120, which is something that 3.5 years later still hasnt trickled down to their other cameras. If this is shooting RAW internally, even at 1080, that'd be a damn impressive upgrade too

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
What a beast! The IBIS rumour was (predictably) wrong. And a new DIGIC. No word on the sensor specs.

I'm not familiar with the HEIF file format - I'll have to look it up.

It’s been a shooting option on the iPhone for a few years, now. It’s a compressed image file format, that’s supposed to be better than JPEG and more efficient.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Wait 20fps with mechanical shutter and tracking? That is mad!
It is probably even more amazing: "up to approximately 20fps ... electronic shutter"! If this works truely with active AF and full resolution, Canon has really made a huge leap in developing very fast read-out of sensor data. So, the electronic shutter would be mature - finally. Now, throw out every mechanical parts including camera supersizing IBIS from a future ML body (with electronic IS implemented like in a smartphone) and you get the first true digital camera with a big sensor.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
When they mention "Deep Learning" I wonder if that means some kind of machine learning? That requires a lot of processing power, so it sounds like they really upped the power in this thing.

It's machine learning, yes, the deep convolutional/recurrent/whatever neural nets that have been all the rage for a couple years now. Beating humanity in Go and Starcraft and hallucinating shoggoths and now powering Google Translate and what have you.

But it is almost certain that the network in the camera is not going to be learning anything; it's been pre-taught and is basically just a big spreadsheet that you pass image data in and get some sort of feature classification data out that you can then use to figure out which part of the image the AF needs to track.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
It is probably even more amazing: "up to approximately 20fps mechanical or electronic shutter"! If this works truely with active AF and full resolution, Canon has really made a huge leap in developing very fast read-out of sensor data. So, the electronic shutter would be mature - finally. Now, throw out every mechanical parts including camera supersizing IBIS from a future ML body (with electronic IS implemented like in a smartphone) and you get the first true digital camera with a big sensor.
I somehow feel that it won't be quite as fast as you hope (or it has other limitations, like only 12-bit readout (or even lower, say 10-bit)), and that's why the mechanical is mentioned separately.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Illuminated buttons. Curious there is mention of the new sensor but nothing about megapixels yet.
Surely it will not boost the adrenaline levels of Megapixel fans. The 1D series was always dedicated to fast performance, not to highest possible resolution.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0