Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

The hardware is final (why would they show it otherwise), they just haven't released the full specs yet.
IBIS has more heat emission and it does not have that much use for sports shooters anyway, so it would make sense to left it out in favour of internal raw recording, better battery life and a faster mechanical shutter.
Maybe the mirrorless equivalent will have it in a smaller body, smaller battery, but it will not have internal raw recording. And it will come later as they need more time to develop IBIS.

I don't disagree that no IBIS in a 1DX would be okay. My point is that there is not necessarily anything on the outside of the body that would show if it did or did not have IBIS. I agree it is unlikely, but I don't think we can be 100% certain about it.

I would guess it is more likely not there because it creates one more thing that could break down on a body that absolutely cannot break down.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
DPR's report mentioned that the emphasis might be on low light performance rather than a big mp jump. I'd be very happy with 24mp if it came with an extra stop or two of low light capability. Given number of mp and pixels size on a full frame are diametrically opposed, I have no problem with them making high ISO a priority.
You are not going to get a stop or two of low light capability unless you find a way of breaking the laws of physics. The low light capabilities are already pretty close to the maximum allowed by the statistics of photon noise.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
24 is a 120% of 20. Therefore 480mm over 400mm in your terms. It does not work as simple as in your example though.
Resolution varies as the square root of the number of pixels, and the sqrt of 1.20 is close to 1.1. Resolution is measured in lp/mm, not lp^2/mm^2. A 480mm lens vs a 400mm lens will cover (480/400)^2 more pixels and be equivalent to a 28.8Mpx sensor relative to a 20Mpx one, not a 24Mpx one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I disagree with your statement that "IBIS has more heat emission and it does not have that much use for sports shooters anyway" Any movement of the camera will negatively affect the image. I am pretty sure sports shooters are moving to keep their subject in frame, especially with longer focal length lenses. These lenses usually have IS, but adding IBIS with that helps even more to stabilize the camera and lens. IBIS is definitely on my list of wants for my next sports shooter.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Resolution varies as the square root of the number of pixels, and the sqrt of 1.20 is close to 1.1. Resolution is measured in lp/mm, not lp^2/mm^2. A 480mm lens vs a 400mm lens will cover (480/400)^2 more pixels and be equivalent to a 28.8 Mpx sensor relative to a 20Mpx one.
That’s correct. However the OP was referring to 24mp being a 10% increase over 20mp. Maths are off. On another note, I mentioned that it isn’t as simple as just resolution percentage.
But again, you are correct.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I disagree with your statement that "IBIS has more heat emission and it does not have that much use for sports shooters anyway" Any movement of the camera will negatively affect the image. I am pretty sure sports shooters are moving to keep their subject in frame, especially with longer focal length lenses. These lenses usually have IS, but adding IBIS with that helps even more to stabilize the camera and lens.
I'm not so sure. On a stationary handheld camera, maybe - but why would it be handheld if it's stationary? On a panning camera, poorly tested IBIS may introduce much heavier problems than it tries to solve. So, it's unlikely that Canon's first generation of IBIS would be introduced on a pro sports body.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Surely it will not boost the adrenaline levels of Megapixel fans. The 1D series was always dedicated to fast performance, not to highest possible resolution.
Doesn't have to be "the highest possible resolution". But as someone who shot with the 1dxii for over two years, I would welcome at least a modest boost in resolution because unlike pros with their 600mm f4 lenses, I generally need to crop. 24 to 26 would be perfect.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I am going t take back what I said about there being no way the AF on button will implement some sort of touch function. seeing more photos suggests that is exactly what it is. Maybe they have improved it or maybe they felt that also having the joystick meant that anyone who doesn't like it would just turn it off.

Upvote 0
All in all this is what the 1dxmkii should have been. I can almost guarantee that canon has been sitting on loads of tech including this camera for a while now, as for this lovely little new camera I for one hope this 1dxmkiii stays at or around 20mp's, seeing that they have improved ISO which most likely means better dynamic range in addition is the exciting thing to me. On the video side this camera should be fantastic as long as they have focus peaking and no record limit. This is canon so it will be limited somewhere. I hope the tracking will be close to as good as the Sony's and yes the Sony's are incredible if you don't thinks so you haven't used one. I am a birder and i have lots of misses with my 1dc and 1dxmkii so i hope i don't have to keep using ans adapted A9 to getting good tracking and shots with my canon glass. cant wait to see the real world comparisons between this and the mkii and all the other new cameras coming out.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
24 Mpx represents only a 10% increase in resolution over 20 Mpx, like having a 440mm rather than a 400mm lens. Better than nothing but not a game changer.

True, but of course I'd prefer a little more than 24. However, my observations of my situations and cropping suggest to me that I'm a person who would benefit quite a bit from 10%. Going 18 to 20 with better ISO performance had a reasonably significant benefit in my case but if I hadn't gone from 600mm to 800mm I would have had remorse, although my 800 does represent a compromise on speed and IQ. My main point is that I'm addicted to the higher FPS, seeing how ms can make quite a difference to a pose in a burst. Those not having the FPS may not realize this and I'm not just talking BIF. Of course it's all relative. :)

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Surely they must know the sensor size/MP at this stage, but not telling...is very telling. Probably low twenties to get those "blistering fast" frames per second
Is it conceivable they could have two modes allowing a choice? I'm not holding my breath.

Jack

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi justaCanonuser.
With a bit of luck it will be like my 10 yr old Alpine head unit in my car, I can choose red, orange, that annoying blue and a half and half combination of any of them! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Cheers, Graham.

Pretty sure there will be an option to switch it off, maybe via a customized button.

Upvote 0
The demo units at Photo Expo were operational, badged as 1DX Mark III's and looked mechanically and cosmetically finished to me. I suspect it's mostly a question of nailing down the chips and firmware at this point. I guess they could still change a few things internally but I'm guessing the chassis is final. It either has IBIS or it doesn't and since the body is practically identical to the Mark II I don't think you could physically fit a robust IBIS unit in the body I saw.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Since I taken loads of crap on this forum for having the gall to suggest that Canon's autofocus system had room for improvement, I'm taking great delight in seeing that the one thing Canon emphasized above all else in this announcement was improvement to its autofocus system.
I never had an issue with saying it could use improvement, all I ever said was it is comparable to the other manufacturers best at this point in time and people that said it had “a problem” we’re talking crap. Heck every metric can be improved, FPS, viewfinder blackout, etc etc.

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I am going t take back what I said about there being no way the AF on button will implement some sort of touch function. seeing more photos suggests that is exactly what it is. Maybe they have improved it or maybe they felt that also having the joystick meant that anyone who doesn't like it would just turn it off.

My guess is that little hole looking part on the button is some kind of sensor that tracks your finger moving over it, instead of actually moving the whole button.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I never had an issue with saying it could use improvement, all I ever said was it is comparable to the other manufacturers best at this point in time and people that said it had “a problem” we’re talking crap. Heck every metric can be improved, FPS, viewfinder blackout, etc etc.

Scott, do you see yourself upgrading? What would be things you'd like improved? Other than my typical focal length limited situations and wanting more MPs I've been pretty happy.

Jack

Upvote 0