Canon officially announces the development of the EOS-1D X Mark III

Apr 25, 2011
We do not know what the 20fps is right? That might be jpeg only.
If Canon really wants to troll everyone, 20fps will be animated GIF only.

I would be very surprised if the Mark III can shoot RAW at 20fps.
Why? Every digital photo camera shoots RAW at any frame rate. They may record the results in lossy compressed formats if the recording medium is not fast enough, but in these particular cameras, that's what the frame buffer is for.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I would hate a crop mode. I hated the 1D-1D MkIV, I buy FF cameras to be FF cameras not overpriced APS-C cameras or worse, why would I pay over $2,000 for an 11-24 that is heavy as a brick doesn't have IS and I can't filter for it to become a modest 16mm lens I can get in a better design in the 16-35 f4 IS?
Seems that's like saying I'd hate to have a race car that was capable of being driven in a parade, on occasion. The 1D4 was very nice, in size and functionality. I loved it except as a dated camera it had too few MP and did not have good high ISO like the 6D that was in my possession at the time. FF for wide and crop for long is potentially useful, to me. Easily filtering the 11-24 is a big deal and I give Canon full credit for giving the ring adapters for the R series.

Jack

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Seems that's like saying I'd hate to have a race car that was capable of being driven in a parade, on occasion. The 1D4 was very nice, in size and functionality. I loved it except as a dated camera it had too few MP and did not have good high ISO like the 6D that was in my possession at the time. FF for wide and crop for long is potentially useful, to me. Easily filtering the 11-24 is a big deal and I give Canon full credit for giving the ring adapters for the R series.

Jack
Good analogy Jack, to which I would say 'are you a parade poser or a real racer?' ;) If its a race car I want a non existent clutch and I can do without the cooling capacity to run it at idle for longer than the start line dictates...:)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I know what you mean. Canon Canada does a great job of cleaning the sensor, but after an outing or two the sensor goes back to being a filthy mess.

I won't be purchasing another 1D DSLR after now having had both the 1DX and 1DX2. I've had more problems with the 1D series than I ever have had with the 5D series.

Once a mirrorless version is ready for prime time I'll re-examine the situation. I won't be an early adopter, though.
I've owned 1D, 1D MkIIn, 1Ds MkII, 1Ds MkIII and 1DX MkII. Far and away the worst for oil were the 1Ds MkIII's, my 1DX MkII's I don't have any oil issues with.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I've owned 1D, 1D MkIIn, 1Ds MkII, 1Ds MkIII and 1DX MkII. Far and away the worst for oil were the 1Ds MkIII's, my 1DX MkII's I don't have any oil issues with.

People like Art Moris were looking for oil like they were explorers in the Gulf of Mexico. I have the odd spot that sometimes shows in the sky and if it/they do I blot them out in short order. Mind you I only have about 55k activations.

Jack

Upvote 0
People like Art Moris were looking for oil like they were explorers in the Gulf of Mexico. I have the odd spot that sometimes shows in the sky and if it/they do I blot them out in short order. Mind you I only have about 55k activations.

Jack

I doubt this. I’ve seen Results from over 40 different Mark II’s and every single one of them has atrocious oil splatter.

In my experience, those that claim that there’s no oil on their sensors are either in denial, or don’t stop down often enough to notice.

Upvote 0
I view my photos on a quality 30"4K monitor and am pretty fussy. Not a big problem at all. I don't shoot much landscape, which would tend to be more problematic. Of course you're welcome to doubt.:)

Jack

I will continue to doubt! :)

Especially since, by admission, you don’t shoot much landscape.

I've kept my 1DX2 because it's an awesome camera in every other regard, from focus speed to durability. However, it isn't without its glaring flaws (namely, the oil splatter). I hope the 1DX3 addresses the problem, but I'm not holding my breath. I won't be another early adopter -- I was with the 1DX2. I had the CFast corruption issue, and I found sensor problems on early production units of the camera, prompting Canon to replace sensors where strange sensor lines were present on final images.

I'll look at the 1DX3 after it's been out for half a year or so, and any kinks are worked out.

Attachments

• 1dx-oil copy.jpg
    1dx-oil copy.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 303
  • Dehaze screenshot.jpg
    Dehaze screenshot.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 294
Upvote 0

What is the root cause of the oil splatter and is it cured by a sensor cleaning?

Upvote 0
What is the root cause of the oil splatter and is it cured by a sensor cleaning?

I assume the root cause is the mirror mechanism is flinging oil as it moves up and down rapidly.

The sensors can be cleaned. The oil returns after a few hundred frames, however. The amount of accumulation can be minimized by not shooting at the full burst speed of 14 fps. If you tend to be a single shot shooter, you likely won't notice the problem for some time.

Upvote 0
In my experience you have to stop down quite a bit and then crank the presence on a blue sky to see oil spots with 1DX Mark II. Price you pay for 14 fps in my opinion. The few times I've noticed it I didn't have any problem correcting. Hardly a major issue for me but YMMV.

edit; I guess if I was shooting air shows with slow or stopped down lenses I'd probably get tired of cleaning up the spots. I expect Canon would have elimited the oil by now if they could so it's probably not getting much better in the Mark III at 16 FPS. If Air Shows were my main thing I might consider a mirror-less instead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
Jack, my camera gets lots of oil spots. Not as bad as R7 D1. I sent my camera off to CPS for the CMS before my big France trip recently and like the second or third day I noticed the spots were appearing. There are so many spots in my trip pictures now that I'm pretty upset. Even f5.6 pictures have them. After I got back I sent it back to CPS and had them clean it again. It seems better now...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The root cause seems to be the lubrication they put on the mirror mechanism. It seems that it was occasionally over applied in the factory and generally isnt stable enough for the job. But it is inconsistent, some cameras seem to be badly impacted by it and some dont seem to have any issues at all. Having said that nothing Canon have ever done or I have ever seen comes close to the issues Nikon has had in the past with the D600 being so bad it was banned from being sold in China!

Sensor cleaning is nothing but a short term ‘fix’ especially for cameras that seem prone to the problem. The solution is to send it in to Canon who will clean out the lubricant and reinstall it to factory specs.

Upvote 0

Jim Corbett

Man-eaters' Nightmare
Oct 11, 2019

I've kept my 1DX2 because it's an awesome camera in every other regard, from focus speed to durability. However, it isn't without its glaring flaws (namely, the oil splatter). I hope the 1DX3 addresses the problem, but I'm not holding my breath. I won't be another early adopter -- I was with the 1DX2. I had the CFast corruption issue, and I found sensor problems on early production units of the camera, prompting Canon to replace sensors where strange sensor lines were present on final images.

I'll look at the 1DX3 after it's been out for half a year or so, and any kinks are worked out.
Man, this is bad! You've just killed my GAS for the mkIII.
Just like A9II, and very likely D6, there is a big chance 1DxIII is just a copy of mkII - rushed and redressed with bells and whistles for the Olympics. I, like you, am not going to be the lab mouse.
If the AF of the 5DmkV will at least be 90% the accuracy of the upcoming 1Dx, I'm going with it.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Upvote 0

I get exactly the same mess on my images. It's horrendous and the camera has been back to Canon three times. I give up on sending it back now and have learned to clean it myself.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Oil splatter is a major issue. 95% of what I shoot is wide open, but I do shoot airshows where it is a nightmare. Both my 1DX11 bodies have the issue...
How long was it since you cleaned it? Are we going to blame Canon for the hair on there too?

You do know the difference between dust spots and hair (Canon not responsible for) and oil spots (Canon are responsible for)?

Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 8.56.24 AM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0