Canon officially announces the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
South Florida
Made this before work this morning for what it's worth. Looking forward to putting it through its paces this weekend though:

It is a very unscientific first look at the lens.
Thanks for that! I've done very little video and never even considered doing any at night. Your night-time footage turned out remarkably well. I will most certainly be picking up this lens when the price settles down. By then there should be some quality second-party lens hoods available as well. It is certainly disappointing that Canon chose to not include weather sealing in the M series, but that's the market.

neuroanatomist

Spends too much time on this forum
Jul 21, 2010
Any first thoughts other than "damn there's no pouch or lens hood"?
So far, I'm impressed. Very good IQ, even wide open. Build is good (lack of weathersealing notwithstanding), similar to the first three EF-M lenses (18-55, 22, 11-22). Only complaint so far is that the manual focus throw is seriously long.

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
South Florida
So far, I'm impressed. Very good IQ, even wide open. Build is good (lack of weathersealing notwithstanding), similar to the first three EF-M lenses (18-55, 22, 11-22). Only complaint so far is that the manual focus throw is seriously long.
Glad to hear it looks good wide open. This is more important since Canon chose to not include IS. Interesting comment about the long throw though, since that's usually reserved for manual focus and macro lenses. Is the the lens fast to AF? I suppose that's why they felt the need to include the focus limiter switch. I don't know if I'm more excited about this lens or that EF-M 53 f/1.8 IS that Canon will announce soon...

neuroanatomist

Spends too much time on this forum
Jul 21, 2010
Glad to hear it looks good wide open. This is more important since Canon chose to not include IS. Interesting comment about the long throw though, since that's usually reserved for manual focus and macro lenses. Is the the lens fast to AF? I suppose that's why they felt the need to include the focus limiter switch. I don't know if I'm more excited about this lens or that EF-M 53 f/1.8 IS that Canon will announce soon...
AF is actually reasonably fast. It's maybe just slightly faster than the M22/2. With STM lenses and their focus by wire nature, focus throw is what the camera/lens firmware says it should be. Many newer M lenses have a variable throw where if you turn the ring fast the throw is shorter than if you turn the ring slowly. The M32 seems to lack that feature (which admittedly takes some getting used to), and that makes the throw seem even longer. It's something Canon could change with a firmware update if they want.

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
South Florida
AF is actually reasonably fast. It's maybe just slightly faster than the M22/2. With STM lenses and their focus by wire nature, focus throw is what the camera/lens firmware says it should be. Many newer M lenses have a variable throw where if you turn the ring fast the throw is shorter than if you turn the ring slowly. The M32 seems to lack that feature (which admittedly takes some getting used to), and that makes the throw seem even longer. It's something Canon could change with a firmware update if they want.
Faster AF than the 22 is quick enough for pretty much anything I'll be using the M5 for. I have the first four M lenses and haven't noticed the variable throw feature, either because they are too old, I am too old, or I just don't MF very often. That does bring up an interesting thought though. Any camera/lens combo that is FBW could have firmware introduced enabling complete customization of the action of the focus ring. Not really of interest to me, but it may be for some. I prefer to pick the focus point and let the lens do the rest. Just lazy I guess. Still, this combination should make for a formidable street camera.