Canon officially announces the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., September 5, 2018 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced a new EF-M wide angle fixed-focal-length lens, the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM. The EF-M lens is both compact and lightweight, serving as an ideal addition for any photographer shooting with an EOS-M series camera. Entry and enthusiast-level photographers who are passionately seeking to take their photography skills to the next-level will find this lens to be a great addition for portraiture, landscapes or general travel photography.

“As Canon continues to expand the company’s EF-M lineup, it is very important that users are provided the tools they desire for a variety of shooting situations,” said Kazuto Ogawa, president and chief operating officer, Canon U.S.A., Inc. “The new EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM lens delivers great image quality in a compact and lightweight form factor, allowing photographers to capture the images they envision when they pick up their camera.”...

Continue reading...

Apr 23, 2018
wow. Really did not expect it to be this compact. Same diameter as all other EF-M lenses and just 5mm longer than EF 28/3.5 Macro and 10mm shorter than EF-M 18-55. Plus 43mm filter thread for a f/1.4 lens! Quite amazing. Of course it will be interesting to see reviews - eg. how much corner vignetting?

USD 480 is steep, but price will come down considerably within a year, once pent-up demand is satisfied.

Canon really has designed their mirrorfree "slim" mounts [EF-M and RF] really right and is now able to "deliver the goods" and fully leverage that advantage.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Lens hood included! It's a L! :)
The EF-M 28 Macro included the hood (because it's required to mount a filter). This includes a hood and pouch. That's reserved for L lenses and select others (like the 70-300 DO).

Another break from EF-M tradition is the switch on the side – a focus distance limiter. Also, the metal mount seen in the first three lenses is back.

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
It's a bit steep here in Japan at 72,000 yen (about $650 USD). It went from a "must-buy" to a "do I really need this now that RF is the future... and at that price?" I'm sure it will be a great lens, but I'll hold off to see if the price drops. Particularly since I haven't yet figured out if I'm going to sink anymore money into EF-M.

UPDATE: Wow! It actually does call it an refers to it as 'almost' an L Lens on the Japanese press release (I haven't seen the English yet).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
The EF-M 28 Macro included the hood (because it's required to mount a filter). This includes a hood and pouch. That's reserved for L lenses and select others (like the 70-300 DO).

Another break from EF-M tradition is the switch on the side – a focus distance limiter. Also, the metal mount seen in the first three lenses is back.

Ah, i don't own the 28 macro so i didn't know that.

I was surprised that there is a focus limiter switch, but i fear that's because this lens will hunt for focus a lot and that way you can at least speed that up a bit.

B.

Upvote 0

espressino

sigh.
Feb 26, 2018
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
The product pages of Canon UK and Canon Belgium say that the lens hood is an optional accessory. So this might be a typo (I think it happened with the EF-S 35mm Macro as well where some product description sites stated that the pouch was included).
Or maybe it's different for different markets :)

https://www.canon.co.uk/lenses/ef-m-32mm-f-1-4-stm-lens/

Honestly i don't care. Most of my hoods are 3rd party as the prices for Canons originals are rediculous.

B.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The product pages of Canon UK and Canon Belgium say that the lens hood is an optional accessory. So this might be a typo (I think it happened with the EF-S 35mm Macro as well where some product description sites stated that the pouch was included).
Or maybe it's different for different markets :)

https://www.canon.co.uk/lenses/ef-m-32mm-f-1-4-stm-lens/
We'll see. Since Canon USA's press release says they're included, I'm sure they will be here. B&H lists hood and pouch as 'in the box'.

Historically, hoods have been included with 'consumer' non-L lenses in some Asian markets.

Upvote 0
The only drawback for me is the "wrong" focal length - I needed sth. around 50mm. But: It seems they done a lot of work to make it really good IQ wise with 14/8 lens elements and kept it compact. Plus the 1:4 maximum magnification is magnificent!
Funny: It shares the same concave outer surface of the front element!

So please give me (us?) a ~50mm sister lens and if it has only f/1.8 but IS for a similar price I will buy it!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Although this is apples to oranges, the MTF curves of this new lens are much improved compared to the EF 50/1.4 II or the first 12mm of the EF 35/1.4. Obviously it is much more difficult to do a full frame 35mm rather than optimizing for a 1.6x crop, but still this strikes me as impressive performance. Interestingly, the performance degrades when stopped down to f/8. Certainly a lot of aspheric magic at work here. On the crop censored M5 I have, this should be a good performer wide open as compared to the 50's on a FF body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
Repeat from an earlier thread. Next!
EF-M 17-50 f/4.0 IS

From my knothole, I think I could live with EF-M 15-60 F4 IS [quasi-L, like the 32 1.4]. An efl of 24 to almost 100 would be OK. 55 minimum on the long end. Definitely 15 (efl 24) wide. Such a lens would make sense if EF-M starts having more enthusiast-oriented bodies (although arguably the M5 with D80-like features is already an enthusiast camera). If ef-s enthusiast dslr cameras are being eventually phased out they will need to offer more ef-m lenses like this. Seems kind of inevitable.

(f4 throughout the range, please, NOT 3.5-5.6!!!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0