Canon Officially Announces the EOS 6D Mark II

nightscape123 said:
I really hope that DPR is full of it and they didn't purposefully gimp the sensor. I'm hesitant to pre-order now. I guess i'll wait for more reviews at this point.

I for one was fine with the dynamic range of previous canon sensors; this would not give me pause at all. Besides, we have no real tests done yet.
What gives me pause is the pathetic state of my wallet :'(

Upvote 0
Tangent said:
nightscape123 said:
I really hope that DPR is full of it and they didn't purposefully gimp the sensor. I'm hesitant to pre-order now. I guess i'll wait for more reviews at this point.

I saw that in DPR as well and it has given me pause. I shoot a lot of landscape; the absolutely most important ask from me for the 6D mkII was improved sensor performance in DR, and weakening or removing that nasty AA filter.

If the 6D mkII does not have the improved DR of the 5d MkIV and 80D but retains older sensor technology with less DR that would be a major disappointment. The samples so far seem unimpressive in DR and the fine detail looks strongly AA'd. Just samples from beta, yes -- I will wait and see, but my early impression is that this is a very useful upgrade in many respects but a disappointment where it matters most: the sensor.

I sure hope it proves out otherwise.

100% agreed for me. I have the current 6D and the dynamic range improvement is my biggest desire - everything else I'd like to improve about the old 6D was by far secondary. I could justify the 6Dii if it was literally the old 6D with a big boost in sensor quality. I was really really hoping that the 6D II would continue the trend and show at least equivalent DR as the 5D IV if not an improvement (as was the case between the 5Diii and the 6D). I was 100% on board with pre-ordering until I saw the DPR review.

I really don't think this issue would slow sales of the 6Dii so I understand Canon's decision, but for me that means I now have to think 5D IV or 5DSR II (if that ever materializes). Only thing left to do is see some real world tests and DR measurements I guess.

Upvote 0
Canon 80D (UHS-1): Write Speed 81mb/s
Canon T6i/T6s (UHS-1): Write Speed 71mb/s
Canon T7i (UHS-1): Write Speed 81mb/s
Canon 5Ds (UHS-1 SD SLOT): Write Speed 71mb/s
Canon 5D4 (UHS-1 SD SLOT): Write Speed 79mb/s

Speed needed for 4K: 35/40 mb/s.

¿Why are you all whining?

"I hope the 6D2 Features a better AF System"
-Here, have 45 All crosstypes Af Points. (27 Cross in F/8) compared to 1 AF Point (4 Assisting) in the 5D3.

That's what they do. They improve the 6D, surpass the previous 5D's but without giving (not directly) something to leave the 5D4 a step ahead.

We all know it'll have a better noise performance and DR than the 5D4 it does have 4mpx less...

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Wait let me get this straight. So some person over on DPR claims that the 6DII has less DR than the 5DIV based on JPEGs? And now it's being touted around like it's fact that the 6DII has the same DR as the 80D?? This is all based on what scientific method may I ask? I don't see any links to any hard numbers or graphs.

People are actually canceling pre-orders over this? Hmmm maybe wait until some sensible data comes in, perhaps?

To be fair, DPR said the following in their review:

"According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV."

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8979194861/the-same-but-different-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-shooting-experience

If that comment truly comes from a canon rep (and not judgement of jpgs), then I don't blame people for waiting to see some real world results rather than preordering if dynamic range is the most critical feature to that person. I may be in the minority, but if I choose the 6D ii it'll be because I think the 6D ii is the best tool for what I'm trying to accomplish. For me, sensor quality is the most important criteria and if it is compromised I'll look at the 5D IV. I think there was reason to expect that the 6D ii could outperform the 5D IV in DR since that was the case in the 6D vs 5D III comparisons. Since that is not guaranteed at this point, I think holding off on pre-ordering is probably a good idea for people with that need.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
bandido said:
dexstrose said:
bandido said:
No headphone jack? Why? Canon Why? :(

Its not a radio. :eek: ;D
The 80D is not a radio either, but they included a headphone jack. Go figure ???

I hate the way people throw around terms like "nerfed" but in this case, I believe it's a legitimate criticism. Having a headphone jack is very important for shooting video and it is a feature that was added to the 80D (although not on the 70D). I totally understand and have always defended product differentiation and I have no problem with Canon not adding 4K to this body, but not having a headphone jack for a camera that has a lot of other video-friendly features just seems kind of chintzy.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
amorse said:
Zv said:
Wait let me get this straight. So some person over on DPR claims that the 6DII has less DR than the 5DIV based on JPEGs? And now it's being touted around like it's fact that the 6DII has the same DR as the 80D?? This is all based on what scientific method may I ask? I don't see any links to any hard numbers or graphs.

People are actually canceling pre-orders over this? Hmmm maybe wait until some sensible data comes in, perhaps?

"According to Canon representatives, the 6D Mark II should outperform the original 6D (which it very evidently does) but may not offer the same kind of dynamic range and absolute resolution of the EOS 5D Mark IV."

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/8979194861/the-same-but-different-canon-eos-6d-mark-ii-shooting-experience

If that comment truly comes from a canon rep (and not judgement of jpgs), then I don't blame people for waiting to see some real world results rather than preordering if dynamic range is the most critical feature to that person. I may be in the minority, but if I choose the 6D ii it'll be because I think the 6D ii is the best tool for what I'm trying to accomplish. For me, sensor quality is the most important criteria and if it is compromised I'll look at the 5D IV. I think there was reason to expect that the 6D ii could outperform the 5D IV in DR since that was the case in the 6D vs 5D III comparisons. Since that is not guaranteed at this point, I think holding off on pre-ordering is probably a good idea for people with that need.

This is a dangerously reasonable response. I'm not sure if you belong on the Canon Rumors forum. :)

Just to add a few comments.

I have been urging caution among those who were certain that because the 6D had slightly better sensor performance than the 5DIII that it was a given the 6DII would be better than the 5DIV. Anyone who has compared the 1DxII and the 5DIV should know that there simply isn't a lot of room between those two sensors for a 6DII sensor to slide between.

I don't understand the science behind it, but clearly the number of megapixels is no longer as big of a factor in determining sensor performance that it once was.

Also, people need to keep some perspective here. Given the current state of the art when it comes to sensor performance, it would be healthy if we all recognized that we are deep in the realm of theoretical, rather than practical, differences.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Zv said:
And now it's being touted around like it's fact that the 6DII has the same DR as the 80D??

In other words, the 6DII has better low ISO DR than Nikon's flagship D5. :p

Why do you keep bringing facts to what is clearly an entirely-emotional argument? ;)

I'd worry if the IQ of the camera matched the IQ of some posters. Ah, but it's just emotion; that helps, thanks, I have to try to be more tolerant. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
I have been urging caution among those who were certain that because the 6D had slightly better sensor performance than the 5DIII that it was a given the 6DII would be better than the 5DIV.

People have short memories. I wonder if anyone remembers this little camera from Canon called the 5DIII, and how compared to its predecessor, it improved on many things – AF, fps, metering, etc. – but IQ really wasn't one of those things and saw only a very modest improvement. Anyone see an analogy here? Anyone? Bueller?

giphy.gif

Upvote 0
Reposting this now that the camera has been officially announced:

I think I am the ideal target for this camera. I started out with an SL1 and learned the ropes of DSLR's with that camera. I now am ready to upgrade to a FF camera. To me, 4K video would've been nice, but I don't really care too much. I care about fantastic pictures, and the 4K timelapse feature sounds like a lot of fun to me!

I was hoping some experts here could help me out deciding between this 6D II and the Pentax K-1. I travel a lot, and love getting great travel shots, landscapes, and I am dying to do astrophotography. Those are my main uses. What are the opinions here on the pros and cons of these 2 budget-friendly (sorta?) cameras for me?

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
LonelyBoy said:
neuroanatomist said:
Zv said:
And now it's being touted around like it's fact that the 6DII has the same DR as the 80D??

In other words, the 6DII has better low ISO DR than Nikon's flagship D5. :p

Why do you keep bringing facts to what is clearly an entirely-emotional argument? ;)

Tried to bite my tongue, but when you called a statement that is blatantly misleading without proper context a fact, I had to chime in.

Here are some unvarnished facts relevant to your assertion:

Fact: the D5 is Nikon's flagshp PJ and action camera and as such isn't designed for great DR. For this camera's users, speed matters far more than DR and resolution. Why, many or most PJs shoot jpeg, that's how important DR is to the target audience for this camera.

Fact: Nikon's flagship IQ camera is the D810. Its DR is ranked number 1 on DXO.

Fact: And this may be the most relevant to this discussion. In terms of IQ, the D5 ranks 26th among Nikon cameras. The D5's DR ranks behind every Nikon DSLR released since 2008 and even behind a Nikon Coolpix compact camera. It need not be said, but I'll say it anyway, I and very few others look to the D5 as the industry standard for best possible IQ or DR.

Fact: In a list of Canon and Nikon cameras, the 80D ranks 23 in DR, a full 1.5 stops behind the D810. It ranks behind 11 Nikon APS-C cameras.

Therefore, it may be factual that the 80D has better DR than Nikon's flagship PJ camera. However, that gets you to a ranking of 26 in DR for Nikon cameras, behind some cameras that are almost nine years old. More importantly, it puts the 80D 2.5 stops behind the SOTA D810's industry leading 14.8 stops of DR according to DXO.

Whereas, I like my 80D, and its DR is much better than any Canon camera I've previously owned, I frankly would rather have a FF camera perform closer to my D810 in DR.

Why, I'd be happy if the 6DM II even had DR that was as good as any APS-C camera on the market. Is that really asking too much? ;)

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
amorse said:
Zv said:

This is a dangerously reasonable response. I'm not sure if you belong on the Canon Rumors forum. :)

I have been urging caution among those who were certain that because the 6D had slightly better sensor performance than the 5DIII that it was a given the 6DII would be better than the 5DIV. Anyone who has compared the 1DxII and the 5DIV should know that there simply isn't a lot of room between those two sensors for a 6DII sensor to slide between.

I don't understand the science behind it, but clearly the number of megapixels is no longer as big of a factor in determining sensor performance that it once was.

Also, people need to keep some perspective here. Given the current state of the art when it comes to sensor performance, it would be healthy if we all recognized that we are deep in the realm of theoretical, rather than practical, differences.

There are a few practical differences. For instance the new 16-35 f/2.8 has 4 stops of vignetting that extends a third of the way into the frame. That means every single shot you take with that lens will need to have the shadows pushed 3-4 stops. The DR becomes incredibly important when shooting with that lens.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
@ ShootTheStars12 I moved to Canon (only superficially attached to Nikon) for various reasons, a main one being glass and once significantly attached to and loving the glass, that seals it for me, especially since I love, for example, the 400DO II (wildlife). If I was primarily landscape and wide I'd certainly be more seriously considering other cameras (but keeping in mind ergonomics, servicing, batter life etc.) Small/light matters little when using big lenses but when walking for many hours shooting wide, light becomes desirable. Others will have more to say.

Jack

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
nightscape123 said:
unfocused said:
amorse said:
Zv said:

There are a few practical differences. For instance the new 16-35 f/2.8 has 4 stops of vignetting that extends a third of the way into the frame. That means every single shot you take with that lens will need to have the shadows pushed 3-4 stops. The DR becomes incredibly important when shooting with that lens.

If I recall correctly, the 3-4 stops of vignetting are at 16mm and F2.8, not surprisingly, and the amount of vignetting decreases rather quickly zooming in from 16mm and stopping down from F2.8. While the vignetting is clearly not desirable, I am not sure that I would say that it is incredibly important to eliminate all vignetting at 16mm and F2.8 with a 3-4 stop shadow push. It is simply not true that every single shot you take with that lens will need to have the shadows pushed 3-4 stops.

Upvote 0