Canon officially announces the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Bah, 32Mpix at 10fps is a lot of data to move, though I would have expected a larger difference between UHS-I and UHS-II cards. I expect the buffer flushing time to be noticeably faster with UHS-II, however.

Anyway, when shooting action I see no reason not to use C-RAW; the loss of information really is minimal. 39 C-RAWs at 10fps is quite impressive and should be enough for anyone considering this camera.
That additional 1 frame gain from UHS-II SD card doesn't inspire confidence. High end UHS-II cards are capable of delivering write speeds in excess of 240MB/s so wondering if the UHS-II controller used for this camera doesn't support half duplex(312MB/s) and restricted it to full duplex(156MB/s). Even with UHS-I standard it was only with release of 80D that Canon was able to support the fastest write performance(SDR104) and it was lagging behind competition in that aspect for the longest time. This camera already has AA filter so wondering how much more detail we are going to lose from using compressed C-RAW format in order to gain additional buffer depth.

Found an unboxing video of this camera:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The EOS M6 Mark II is a replacement for both the EOS M5 and EOS M6.
Has this been confirmed by Canon, or is it a summation based on them bundling the hotshoe EVF with some of the kits? This would be a shame IMHO, I do like my M5 with built-in EVF. I guess that in the brave new world of decreasing camera sales, Canon need to rationalise their products lines and reduce development costs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Regarding buffer depth I just saw the JP preview vid and he noted it was a pretty decent buffer on the 90d. Up to 8sec of shooting. So there seems to be some mixed msgs here and it might be better to wait for more details.
Even I watched the video, Canon's own website has put out quite lowly buffer figures. Even with those mixed messages overall 90D has been crippled on purpose(Micro-B connector instead of Type-C on USB-2.0 controller, single SD Slot instead of two, according to official specs very low buffer and UHS-II slot just there as a checkmark on specsheet rather than being something that will make difference in day to day use) just like many other products in Canon's line-up.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Even I watched the video, Canon's own website has put out quite lowly buffer figures. Even with those mixed messages overall 90D has been crippled on purpose(Micro-B connector instead of Type-C on USB-2.0 controller, single SD Slot instead of two, according to official specs very low buffer and UHS-II slot just there as a checkmark on specsheet rather than being something that will make difference in day to day use) just like many other products in Canon's line-up.
Yet it will still be better than the best Sony DSLR. And better than all but the 3k plus sony mirrorless bodies from the looks of things. At least you will be able to hold it without hurting your hands.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Even I watched the video, Canon's own website has put out quite lowly buffer figures. [blah blah]

The 90D has double the data rate compared to the 80D while keeping the maximum burst the same for lossless RAW. Additionally there's a completely new option to store minimally lossy C-RAW which doubles the maximum burst. Only a very special person would call that "crippling".

The 90D has a single card slot, just like every other x0D model in history, and just like every comparative model from other manufacturers. Again, it takes a very special person to call that "crippling".

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Yet it will still be better than the best Sony DSLR. And better than all but the 3k plus sony mirrorless bodies from the looks of things. At least you will be able to hold it without hurting your hands.
Ergonomically definitely it is far better than any Sony MILC on market, I use 180mm OS Macro from time to time and with Sony A7 III(with adapter) it was painful after a short while. In future when I switch to MILC it would be either Canon or Nikon never going to buy Sony camera. I still cannot understand why would Canon not use Type-C port on 90D but it is present on cheaper and smaller M6 mk II.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Ergonomically definitely it is far better than any Sony MILC on market, I use 180mm OS Macro from time to time and with Sony A7 III(with adapter) it was painful after a short while. In future when I switch to MILC it would be either Canon or Nikon never going to buy Sony camera. I still cannot understand why would Canon not use Type-C port on 90D but it is present on cheaper and smaller M6 mk II.
It does seem strange. My guess is it saved production costs as there would have been less change from the 80d body. Less cost equals higher profits

Upvote 0
The 90D has double the data rate compared to the 80D while keeping the maximum burst the same for uncompressed RAW. Additionally there's a completely new option to store minimally lossy C-RAW which doubles the maximum burst. Only a very special person can call that "crippling".

The 90D has a single card slot, just like every other x0D model in history, and just like every comparative model from other manufacturers. Again, only a very special person can call that "crippling".

To your last paragraph - not unless there is 7D III or M5 II coming. Which, most probably, don't. Those who want to upgrade from either the 7DII or the M5, are losing some features. And without those features being replaced, OP has the right to call it whatever, even the crippling.

Upvote 0
In short, the complaints are mostly about why Canon is not selling a 7D3 for $1200...

No, the comlaints are mostly about why Canon dismissed the 7DII and M5 replacements ... if, for e.g. there is so many Rebel lines noone can ever count them :) ....

Upvote 0

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
No, the comlaints are mostly about why Canon dismissed the 7DII and M5 replacements ... if, for e.g. there is so many Rebel lines noone can ever count them :) ....
Already explained, the contracting market necessitated a reduction in number of product lines. If there was an upcoming 7D3 you won't be getting 10FPS in this one, simple as that.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
1199$ for a camera that don't do 24fps 1080p video? what is this? 2008? hahaha!

I have to admit, the missing 24p is baffling. It simply cannot be to protect the cinema line. There are so many other features that distinguish and separate Canon's cinema cameras. What is Canon thinking when it comes to 24p? Are they thinking it will push people to the R?

These are nice cameras but missing 24p is going to drive some sales to other brands. It makes no sense to leave it out.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yet another reminder that this forum is not representative of the general camera-buying public. Here, it’s 7-series > xxD and M5 > M6...but Canon knows which models sell best.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0