Canon officially announces the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Nothing is amusing me more than the forums over at a certain famous website that specializes in digital-photography reviews.

In a 90D post, the posters over there are gleefully picking apart a series of 90D sample images that were posted online.

Are they picking apart DPReview's sample images? Because those images are mush. Not sure why or what happened in the processing chain.

JP was at the same event shooting the same models and his DNG files look great.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Or maybe M5 / M6 was an experiment – let the market decide which was preferred. Develop only that line going forward.

That was my thinking. And now with the wording of the marketing materials, and the simultaneous release of the 90D and m6 II, i cant help but wondering if this the same test.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I'm not sure it is about being close and getting a similar look: 25p may flicker in North American lighting without the right shutter speed. 24/30/60 shouldn't flicker under north American lighting at any shutter speed, 25/50 shouldn't flicker at any shutter speed under European lighting. I'm no video pro, but that's what I've understood is the reason people care about the distinction between 24 and 25.
Its not just Europe but also all the countries using PAL. In India as well for me videos shot indoors at 30fps flickr.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Here you go, it doesn't take long when Sony-king of horrible ergonomics releases new cameras on same day as Canon.

I actually watched part of this video until I couldn't handle it any more. Pure narrative. Canon and Nikon were barely innovating and then along came Sony to save us! Yeah Tony, let's just ignore:
* The first digital SLRs.
* First FF sensors.
* Year over year progress in resolution and high ISO.
* Year over year progress in lens designs and features.
* Constant tweaking and improvement in ergonomics and AF.
* First hybrid still/video cameras.

Nope, nothing changed in the 2000's. Why a camera from 2002 was virtually identical to one in 2010. I mean really the 90D is practically the same as the D30. Sony innovation is best innovation, and CANON. IS. DOOMED.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I recall on release of the 5D4, their market research showed that people using a DSLR for video do so in short bursts to supplement their stills and that people serious about video buy a video camera.
Now it seems to me that Canon are pretty smart on their market research so maybe they know more than the forum-dwelling Peter Jackson/Stalney Kubrik wannabes.

Yep, after Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit at 48p, 24p will be so passe in 2020.

Yes, he did. But back at those days, I have also read some articles, about how it was perceived and that they had to apply some tricks to make it look more natural to the eye of an occassional viewer?

Upvote 0
Nothing is amusing me more than the forums over at a certain famous website that specializes in digital-photography reviews.

In a 90D post, the posters over there are gleefully picking apart a series of 90D sample images that were posted online.
In a M6 review article, the editors were praising the image quality of the M6 samples.

*How much different can these images really be*

Time will tell if the 90D/M6 is truly worthy successors to the current cameras.
Honestly, I don't think we will know the truth for awhile. All the current comments are either uninformed, hopelessly biased, or both.
I can wait. . . .I won't even be able to get software to process the RAW images from the new cameras for a bit. That's a more pressing problem.

- - - Frankly looking for an 80D "upgrade", so I don't care if it lacks 7DII features.
- - - Most interested in DR improvement. Don't need improved resolution.
- - - I would like improved AF, but frankly not super critical for me. AF through the mirror box is great in my mind. The dual-pixel AF on the current cameras does, however, need much improvement. Too slow.

- - - The M6 doesn't interest me, because I personally am not excited about buying a whole new collection of mediocre lenses.

I'm good with the prices being discussed. If the quality is there.
the AF on the eos R ist the fastest AF ever made by canon. Have you never got a try?

Upvote 0
My take on this: The M6 mkII replaces both for now. It seemed odd when the first two came out that the only differentiator was the EVF. I think it makes sense to widen that gap. So I think the M5 mkII will come next year, hopefully with a real step up, new sensor tech, flip-out LCD monitor, headphone jack, very slightly bigger form factor, better EVF than the add-on -- and maybe even 24p and an intervalometer? Just speculatin'
I'm hopeful this is the case, and not read too much into a comment from 'someone at Canon' and it be taken as gospel that there won't ever be an M5 mkII. Does anyone have sales figures for M5 vs M6 - would be interesting to see the split? I seem to remember reading a rumour that the M5ii and M6ii were being developed simultaneously but the M5ii wasn't going to be ready in time. If it does appear, I can't see it being that different to the M6, but with the 3.69 million dot EVF from the EOSR shoehorned in.

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
the AF on the eos R ist the fastest AF ever made by canon. Have you never got a try?

So - The EOS R has a 60% price premium over a 90D, right? That’s assuming I mount my existing EF glass, and don’t start buying $2000+ replacement glass. ( -and you KNOW you want to buy more glass for the new mount)

Is the R dual pixel AF superior to the “viewfinder” AF of the 90d?

Because that’s what I will compare it to.

I know the whole point of the R is to lose the mirror and viewfinder (actually: I think the point is to encourage me to replace all my lenses); but if spending $ compromises my ability to take pictures -> not interested.

No – I have not actually physically tried one of the new mirrorless SLRs. Takes a fair bit of effort to do that where I live. Considering the cost implications, I am not motivated to go the effort.

I see the highly biased reviews touting the FF image quality but not viewfinder caliber AF; therefore I presume it’s not there yet.

I may be wrong. I would welcome correction if I am.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Or maybe M5 / M6 was an experiment – let the market decide which was preferred. Develop only that line going forward.

I did some checks on Amazon, and the M5 sells better than the M6, at least in Western countries, don't know about Asia, and both are outsold by the M50 which has a built-in viewfinder. Sure, Amazon is not the overall market but should give a rough idea anyway.

Will the M50 lose the built-in viewfinder as well? Could Canon at least make an add-on viewfinder that integrates better with the camera body, not the actual design which I'm afraid will get into anything if you try to put the camera away in bag or pocket? And maybe with a flash shoe on top of it, or on the left side?

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Yep, after Peter Jackson shot The Hobbit at 48p, 24p will be so passe in 2020.

And his decision backfired. A lot of people didn't like the image "look" at 48fps. There's a reason also why Canon delivered its Sumire Prime lenses.

Human eye is the same it was in 1920 and probably will be the same in 2120. Evolution needs some more time to change things.

He also multiplied a short book in three whole movies, but that's another story... even if it's still an evidence about trying to aim to the wrong result just because you think you can.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Terrible news about this replacing M5 if true. Ad-on EVF is not that great, I would have hoped the M5 II would bring several improvements including a much better integrated EVF, higher res rear screen, bigger grip, 4K24p and few other improvements.
No, it won't. It's currently at the top of the M line due to it's specs but will only be holding that place until the M5 Mkll comes along. Let's hear something official before we start believing conjecture from the likes of DPR writers and forumites.

Upvote 0