Canon officially announces the EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
That's fine. Lets just stop pretending that Canon doesn't intentionally reduce the functionality of it's lower cost products. That's their choice and hopefully the market will respond accordingly.

Or is it that Canon doesn't add a bunch of extra features to their low cost cameras?

Your argument might have a leg to stand on if all they did was reduce the functionality of a product. I did product development in hi tech for 40 years. Products aren't typically built by taking your highest end product and reducing the feature set to get under some cost. They are built by starting with a baseline and building up till you reach a shippable product within a particular budget. Often the budget doesn't change from release to release, but the priority of the things you add to the baseline does change. Maybe they decided some of the newer features merited inclusion versus those no longer present. There are typically power, memory, and testing constraints which prevent you from keeping everything that was ever in a prior product.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The M6 looks great. A small corner EVF would make it perfect to compose and review images in bright light.

Well, so I am not alone who would prefer pop-up viewfinder instead of flash? :) Well, for the target audience though, the built-in flash migt still be preferable. I have created myself a hard to resolve equation - while I prefer M6 style (over M5), I would also occassionaly welcomed to trigger our Elinchrom hi-sync portable strobe (ELB 400), Direct sunlgiht might be a problem.

And then I found this and almost spitted my coffee on my monitor. Did not know it might even exist :)

1567173611510.png

Well, some view-finder for such rare cases might still be an option though, but preventing touch&drag focusing otoh ....

1567173806545.png

... but it would most probably look even more weird, than accepting the M5 design I don't like, but would be practical for my purposes :) ....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And then I found this and almost spitted my coffee on my monitor. Did not know it might even exist :)
View attachment 186263
That's nice, but doubt it would work for the EVF. Check out the contacts on the Canon EVF and the M6 hotshoe. Somehow I doubt those are replicated on the splitter pictured above.

EVF hotshoe.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Would it be OK if Canon dropped Av, odd numberred shutter speeds, ISO 800 or f8 from the M6II. From the perspective of a video orriented user that's what we're talking about. No other brands are dropping 24P at this price point. It's just a stupid way of annoying potential users of higher end gear that rely on 24P as their standard framrate.

Nobody is shooting a movie with a 90D or a M6II but they might want to use them as cheap supplemental cams and now they can't. Calling it anything else is just a smokescreen.

It's not that complicated.

edit: I like the M6II. I think it's a nice little camera which I'd happily recommend to stills orriented shooters and vodeo shoters who don't care about the framerate issue. I just seems like another pointless shot in the foot for Canon in a tough market. Why give their critics the ammunition. I think Canon needs to take a hard look at their decision making process. Time for a shake-Up IMO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Yes I do tend to LOL when I see a YouTube video or read a forum post when someone's world is coming to an end when a camera is released that doesn't shoot 23.976p, but does shoot 25p.
Most youtube videos are basically a person in front of a camera talking and it really doesn't matter if its 24 or 30p.....a youtube vlog or basic review or tutorial is not a Hollywood theater production made to be seen on the big screen hoping for an oscar! LOL. Even some of the best youtube videos are watched on a phone and the person watching it most likely can not tell if its 24 or 30p.
Then again, if there wasn't something to always complain about then everything would be perfect and boring....
Plus by the time the video has been processed by YouTube, you’re not going to see a lot of subtleties.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So - The EOS R has a 60% price premium over a 90D, right? That’s assuming I mount my existing EF glass, and don’t start buying $2000+ replacement glass. ( -and you KNOW you want to buy more glass for the new mount)

Is the R dual pixel AF superior to the “viewfinder” AF of the 90d?

Because that’s what I will compare it to.

I know the whole point of the R is to lose the mirror and viewfinder (actually: I think the point is to encourage me to replace all my lenses); but if spending $ compromises my ability to take pictures -> not interested.

No – I have not actually physically tried one of the new mirrorless SLRs. Takes a fair bit of effort to do that where I live. Considering the cost implications, I am not motivated to go the effort.

I see the highly biased reviews touting the FF image quality but not viewfinder caliber AF; therefore I presume it’s not there yet.

I may be wrong. I would welcome correction if I am.

the eos R is full frame the 90d isn't.
it doesn't make sens to compare eos R's AF and 90d AF.
Neither have I tried the 90d, so I can't tell you the af performance comparted to eos R. I compared eos R and 5d mark iv side by side and in my holy opinion the eos R with rf 24-105 performed much better than the 5d mark iv with ef 24-70 2.8

Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019
the eos R is full frame the 90d isn't.
it doesn't make sens to compare eos R's AF and 90d AF.
Neither have I tried the 90d, so I can't tell you the af performance comparted to eos R. I compared eos R and 5d mark iv side by side and in my holy opinion the eos R with rf 24-105 performed much better than the 5d mark iv with ef 24-70 2.8

Well - - > yes. one is Full Frame; One is not.

The point I was making that it was not really clear to me how Autofocus in the mirrorless cameras compares to SLRs.
I know how "live view" in the current 80D compares to the viewfinder on the 80D. . . .it's horrid. SURE, it can take a shot, but it just doesn't seem responsive. For action shots, I find I have to use the viewfinder.

So for me, a step up to an "R" (or even a step down to a "M") is discouraged because of the glass options. Not understanding AF performance makes it much harder to go in that direction. Image quality for Full Frame (in an "R") would be a known benefit (although, I do like the reach of the APS-C with a good piece of long glass).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'll be getting the 90D tomorrow about 2 pm. Timetable is first to AFMA with 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II. Then, compare resolution using charts with 5DSR and 5DIV. If time, check out any shutter shock. Maybe time to report back here. Saturday, local bird reserve with hopefully a few birds around as it is a lean time of year, and further reporting.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I'll be getting the 90D tomorrow about 2 pm. Timetable is first to AFMA with 100-400mm II and 400mm DO II. Then, compare resolution using charts with 5DSR and 5DIV. If time, check out any shutter shock. Maybe time to report back here. Saturday, local bird reserve with hopefully a few birds around as it is a lean time of year, and further reporting.

Great, looking forward to a real review of this new camera.

Upvote 0
Looking forward to your opinion on this camera; I'll likely pick one up next year sometime.

Upvote 0