Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

Aug 7, 2018
The thing that shocked me most was that Canon guy saying that RF is the mount for the next 25 years. It pretty much sounded like the EF era is over, which would be really sad. I will always prefer DSLRs. When did the last EF lens from Canon come out? I am still hoping for a DSLR with IBIS, although you will not see the effect of IBIS while composing the photo on a DSLR.

The 800mm f/11 is great. Finally a somehow affordable 800mm lens. With the R5 the problem with diffraction will occur though. Diffraction starts becoming visible above f/7.1 on the R5.

For my taste a $3800 camera should be much bigger and heavier. It looks strange with a large lense mounted. I still would prefer an R1 with a weight of over one kilo and an non-removabe battery grip and enough power for at least 1,500 shots.

Upvote 0
This. Here's what DPreview has in their write-up:

"The 100-500mm is compatible with Canon's new RF 1.4x and 2x teleconverters, though the lens must be set to 300mm or longer before one can be attached. A physical hard stop prevents the user from accidentally zooming out past 300mm with these teleconverters."

This is the 70-300L with TCs all over again. Makes my decision easier -- won't have to buy TCs... for now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Did anyone read or hear something about external power of the R5/R6? For longer videos or timelapses, it would be a much welcomed feature to have the possibility to charge with a Powerbank while the camera is shooting or recording.

Also, did anyone see any raw files yet? :D I know Canon doesn't give out any specs regarding DR or ISO noise, except saying that it's "improved" which can mean a ton of things....

All pre-production units so no samples yet. One reviewer is saying 1-stop better for noise for stills.
o_O I cannot believe my eyes. That looks, dare I say, like class leading level In Body Image Stabilization. It's like a Panasonic or Olympus... but full frame.

M43 advantage is now only the lighter weight.

Upvote 0
I'm sure the IS lenses do work in conjunction with the IBIS, but apparently the image circle is a bigger factor in determining how many stops of stabilization you get. This is why the 28-70, which has no lens IS, can still get the top end 8-stops.

I am hyped about the video IBIS. Was hoping they would be on Panasonic/Olympus levels and that is exactly what DPReview enlikened it to.

We'll know for sure soon enough, but I would imagine the 8 stops with the 28-70 is only at 70mm where the image circle is largest. At 50mm it probably equals the stops of the 50 f/1.2, and at 28 is probably even less. Still amazing of course, but not sure the number of stops of stabilization will be uniform across the zoom range of the RF zoom lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Put the EVF in its 120 fps mode and it drains the battery in 220 images. I think that’s an epic fail. The batteries are hugely expensive here and they last less than 2 years before losing one of the capacity bars. And I would need 3 batteries for a day out shooting . All those epic specs and the batteries are the worst of any canon ever? Come on....

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Put the EVF in its 120 fps mode and it drains the battery in 220 images. I think that’s an epic fail. The batteries are hugely expensive here and they last less than 2 years before losing one of the capacity bars. And I would need 3 batteries for a day out shooting . All those epic specs and the batteries are the worst of any canon ever? Come on....

The batteries are improved from previous models. Mirrorless cameras all have pretty poor battery compared to anything with a OVF. The R6 has better battery life if you need it, or you can can get a grip and and four batteries to be sure and your old batteries will work too.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

What's the effective aperture at that point? f/22!! And it is designed to focus with that. (You will just need slow shutter speeds. Good for Turtle races....

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/12421...anon-rf-800mm-f11-is-stm-super-telephoto-lens show off a few samples and their settings. So if we take the worst case they have 1/1000 ISO3200 f/11 then shove a 2x converter on it we can make it an f/22 so we need to reduce the shutter or bump up the ISO. Using my Z6 as it is my best sensor atm, we can go to ISO 10,000 no problem and ISO 20,000 with as much noise as my 5DII has as ISO 1600. A little Topaz Labs DeNoise later and it is a perfectly acceptable image. Would point out though that the 2x converter is almost as much as the lens and anyone buying one of these lenses as an entry-level to wildlife is unlikely going to spend as much money on a 2x converter as they did on a lens.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I have two problems with the R5:
1) I can't afford it at the moment
2) I wish that there was 5DmarkV simialr to it. I still like to see the actual light through the viewfinder.
Just FYI, you can set the EVF to show the ambient brightness and not your actual exposure adjusted brightness of the scene. At least all the mirroless cameras I have used allow this, so I am sure the R5 will have such a setting.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
Interesting that the extenders only extend focal range from 300-500 mm on the 100-500mm lens. This is an interesting and potentially amazing advance. It will preserve the wide of 100 and 200 while extending the reach to 700-1000mm. I assume sacrifice in f stop throughout range but not sure about that as well. Would be amazing if it didn't impact f stop either until 300mm.
I don't think you can zoom lower than 300mm if you have an extender. My guess is the "extension tube" of the extender physically stops the lens from zooming all the way back in to 100 mm.

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
It is difficult to judge it given small size of JPG file. I would wait. What impresses me is the " 1120mm. 1/40th sec. ISO 1600. f/11 ". That shutter speed is insane for the focal length.
The lenses may not be for nature photog, but for photojournalists it might be the right gear given the size, weight and IBIS.
How can it still be f/11 with the 1.4X?

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
This really depends on your goal. I think most photos from the 800mm f/11 will end up on someones Facebook or passed around on a iPad. The person buying it isn't paying £40 per photo to print these images for a gallery or even for their house. Now that isn't to say put in the hands of a pro you won't be able to get pro results, the OOF area in the images certainly show you can get good separation in much the same way you can get bad separation on a f/4 lens if there is a lot of twigs behind your bird subject. But till now there was no FF 800mm lens under £10,000.
I am not as worried about separation and oof areas. If you can get some clear distance behind your subject, an 800 will create a lot of blur, even at f/11. to me the only issue is shutter speed and what iso I will have to shoot at. I do think you can still make it work in most situations, short of sunrise/ really early morning...

Upvote 0
THE ONLY THING MISSING NOW is a Canon-made RF-mount L-series 135 mm to 650 mm f/5 to f/5.6 Sports Zoom Lens within extra anti-shake tech built-in!

If it's under $4200 you would see a LOT of buyers!

if a CONTEMPORARY version (i.e. cheaper!) of the same 135mm to 650mm zoom lens at f/5.6 to f/8 at $2000 then even SIGMA would take a MONSTER HIT to the financial gonads!

With THOSE TWO CANON ZOOM LENSES, Sony would TRULY BE Dead-in-the-Water for their A9 and A7 series cameras! They wouldn't be able to catch up!

---

AND THE REASON why I want the 135 to 650mm Sports Zoom lens is that I am USUALLY carrying 35mm, 50mm and 85 mm primes in my pack with the 35mm or 50mm lens usually on Camera #1 for my up-close wide(ish) goal line face shots and I would love to have that variable 135 to 650mm reach for the across-the-field celebration shots when I switch to Camera #2!

And I am specifying 135 to 650 mm because when using the Sigma 150 to 600mm sports zoom, I tend to WISH and NEED that extra 50mm of focal length reach to go across a typical soccer pitch or American Football field. For the much smaller hockey rink sizes, I tend to use a 300mm, 400mm prime OR an 800mm prime lens for the down-ice shots! Sigma coulda/shoulda ADDED an extra 50mm to their sports zoom lens! CANON CAN NOW FIX THAT by giving me an extra 50mm on the long side and extend it DOWN to 135mm for some on-field team celebration "portraiture-like" work using a single lens!

For my wildlife/outdoor shots, I can leave one camera home and just take the 50mm, 85mm primes and the 135 to 650mm sports zoom lenses!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
The 85's MTF map is very similar to the 35's, and seeing how small its pupil entrance is compared to other 85mm f/1.8 lenses, it's fair to expect heavy vignetting and lots of cat's eyes when shooting wide open. Thankfully, there are no aspherical elements in the formula, so no onion rings on bokeh balls. It looks tack sharp wide open, with very good contrast, and smooth enough focus transitions.

R6, f/2, 1/125 sec., ISO 100
85-sample-1.jpg

R6, f/2, 1/8 sec, ISO 100
85-sample-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The thing that shocked me most was that Canon guy saying that RF is the mount for the next 25 years. It pretty much sounded like the EF era is over, which would be really sad.

The EF era is definitely over, and it's not hard to see why. I'm sure many people were sad to see film go too, but that's mainly nostalgia talking. A camera is merely a tool, and people will buy the tool that gives them the best results. With mirrorless you can preview your image in the EVF as it will actually appear when you release the shutter. That is a massive advantage over DSLRs. Mirrorless can also have AF points all around the sensor, instead of having to clump them all in the middle.

Upvote 0