Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
I'm very much questioning if a 5D Mk V will materialize at this point, especially if the EVF on the R5 is everything it's supposed to be.

I honestly can't fathom a V would be released. IMO Canon is moving away from DSLR and focusing on mirrorless. Look at all the lenses and now 4 camera bodies - with a R1 rumored on the horizon. The roadmap looks pretty clear.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I honestly can't fathom a V would be released. IMO Canon is moving away from DSLR and focusing on mirrorless. Look at all the lenses and now 4 camera bodies - with a R1 rumored on the horizon. The roadmap looks pretty clear.
I my mind, we are in the transition, industry-wide, of moving to mirrorless. Really no other way to look at it. Just like we saw the paradigm shift from film to digital, we are now in the midst of the shift from DSLR to Mirrorless. DSLRs will persist for a long time as film cameras have, but the "norm" will be mirrorless as technology keeps on its inexorable march forward; like it or not.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Rivermist

Mirrorless or bust.
Apr 27, 2019
Houston
Did anyone read or hear something about external power of the R5/R6? For longer videos or timelapses, it would be a much welcomed feature to have the possibility to charge with a Powerbank while the camera is shooting or recording.

Also, did anyone see any raw files yet? :D I know Canon doesn't give out any specs regarding DR or ISO noise, except saying that it's "improved" which can mean a ton of things....
You can use the LP-E6 power source that has existed for some years, the original product is the Canon AC Adapter Kit ACK-E6, unlimited power for video and time lapse applications.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So far my only disappointment is the 24-105 L f/4 kit not giving you any kind of price break.

I suppose it's possible they'll throw in a no-control-ring adapter for "free" and thereby make the bundle a bit better than a push, but at this point I'd rather have the hundred bucks, since I bought two control-ring adapters from the refurb department already. (Or, alternatively, offer to swap the no-control-ring adapter out for one with control ring for $100, which is the price difference between the two at retail.)

I put in a pre-order (and paid $1000 down) a couple of weeks ago at a brick-and-mortar place. So I should have my R5 pretty close to the 30th.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I'm not one of the guys that bashes other manufacturers (though I've always been partial to Canon...I will surely admit their shortcomings)...but my best buddy is a Sony shooter, and I will definitely be giving him a hard time about this. And when Sony releases the A7 IV, I'm sure I'll get what's coming to me. :)

Or maybe you won't. It's going to be tough to outdo this.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I'm sure the IS lenses do work in conjunction with the IBIS, but apparently the image circle is a bigger factor in determining how many stops of stabilization you get. This is why the 28-70, which has no lens IS, can still get the top end 8-stops.

I am hyped about the video IBIS. Was hoping they would be on Panasonic/Olympus levels and that is exactly what DPReview enlikened it to.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I think battery life could become a talking point. Just as well the new battery has an increase in power - Gordon Laing's review mentions getting around 320 (he may have said 360?) shots when using EVF from one battery and more like 490 using the screen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the camera - just think the grip may be less of an 'optional extra' and more of a 'required accessory' (at least for me).
Battery life was suppose to be a big deal on the R and I have never really had any issues, I tend to take the shot(s) and switch the camera off. When recording video I mostly shoot short 5 min max clips and again never really had issues.

I have spare batteries but mostly because I read about the need for them and that just never really panned out for me. Sounds like you can power the Camera using a PD powerbank not just charge so that will help with any power issues if true.

Upvote 0
Battery life was suppose to be a big deal on the R and I have never really had any issues, I tend to take the shot(s) and switch the camera off. When recording video I mostly shoot short 5 min max clips and again never really had issues.

I have spare batteries but mostly because I read about the need for them and that just never really panned out for me. Sounds like you can power the Camera using a PD powerbank not just charge so that will help with any power issues if true.
Good to hear - thanks.

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
No go back and read it again. It’s say up to 8 stops when used in conjunction with IS lenses.

In one of the Canon promo vids I could have sworn I heard someone say they can hand-hold for 4 seconds using the R5/IS lens combo. That seems to good to be true. But she repeated it several times and seemed pretty adamant.

I guess we'll see.:unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
In one of the Canon promo vids I could have sworn I heard someone say they can hand-hold for 4 seconds using the R5/IS lens combo. That seems to good to be true. But hey repeated it several times and seemed pretty adamant.

I guess we'll see.:unsure:
It was the portrait photographer that was shooting the dancer. She handheld a four second shot with the model moving and the room still. Looked pretty cool but you couldn’t analyze details to be sure.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

It will be interesting now to see what the R1 will bring. I think battery life to keep the EVF at 120FPS and instant On are going to be the killer 1 series features. A fully gripped camera. Also very interested to see the Z6s and Z7s compared to the R5 and R6, if the second processor and extra memory will be enough to bring them in line.

Upvote 0