Canon officially announces the EOS Rebel SL3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
Empowering Users with an Easy Way to Express Themselves, the New Camera Delivers Stunning Photos and 4K Videos in a Lightweight Body
MELVILLE, N.Y., April 10, 2019 – Combining ease-of-use with high-image quality, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today unveiled the EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR camera, the smallest and lightest product within the current EOS lineup. Weighing just 15.84 oz1, the EOS Rebel SL3 offers users a compact system delivering high-resolution images – complete with an APS-C imaging sensor, DIGIC 8 Image Processor and 3.0-inch vari-angle LCD touchscreen as well as 4K video, a first for the EOS Rebel lineup. Compatible with Canon’s full line of interchangeable EF and EF-S lenses, along with the ability to instantly send images to compatible smartphones through Auto Image Transfer via Wi-Fi® connectivity2, the EOS Rebel SL3 is the tool needed to empower aspiring photographers to capture gorgeous shots quickly and easily...

Continue reading...

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Horray! [/sarc mode]

Some Digic 8 and some 4K, vid features, maybe - just maybe - a new/better sensor. Rest is just SL2/200D.
So nice for some vid people.
But almost nothing new for stills people. :cautious:

MRSP and availability in Germany:
649,- € MRSP for body + EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
Expected delivery April 25th

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Still, this may be a good travel or second camera for some people who don't have a small DSLR. I will be interested in sensor reports.
My SL2 was a great camera, my grand daughter now owns it. I wish it had AFMA. I had to use live view to get it to focus accurately with a couple of lenses. With my 15-85, it made a great travel camera and went quite a few places with me. I bought a EOS R to replace it, the R is a lot larger. I've been thinking a RP, but I also have a 5D MK IV and 3 bodies are too much.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
The AF system sounds like a huge improvement over the SL2's 9 point diamond.
Is your "sarc mode" on, too, or didn't you read the spec list?

If the later:
Live View AF was improved, yes! Good for vid guys or people that prefer looking at screens than reality.
Phase AF during OVF is exactly the same as it was in SL1, SL2, 5D, 20D and so on.... horrifically hoary old stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Phase AF during OVF is exactly the same as it was in SL2, SL2 %5D, 20D and so on....
You should stop lumping the 5D/5DII AF in with the 20D/etc. The 20D AF (and subsequent 9-point APS-C cameras) have just the 9 points. The 5D/5DII has 9 user-selectable AF points, plus an additional 6 ‘invisible’ AF-assist points that are used in AI Servo AF. So...not ‘exactly the same’.

Upvote 0
Only big downside is that hotshoe is missing the X sync contact which restricts the usage of 3rd party speedlights. This restricts the usage of this camera for macro shooters as otherwise its a small camera with really good sensor.
I never see this before.
Well, it was possible to save 0.5 grams and 0.00001 Dollar by removing the center pin from the flash shoe.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
You should stop lumping the 5D/5DII AF in with the 20D/etc. The 20D AF (and subsequent 9-point APS-C cameras) have just the 9 points. The 5D/5DII has 9 user-selectable AF points, plus an additional 6 ‘invisible’ AF-assist points that are used in AI Servo AF. So...not ‘exactly the same’.
Okay, corrected that in my initial post. Hope, you feel that the SL3 AF is now much more up to date :p

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Is your "sarc mode" on, too, or didn't you read the spec list?

If the later:
Live View AF was improved, yes! Good for vid guys or people that prefer looking at screens than reality.
Phase AF during OVF is exactly the same as it was in SL1, SL2 5D, 20D and so on.... horrifically hoary old stuff.
I must admit that I am surprised that the OVF has 9 AF points, even for a lower level camera I would have expected more.

Upvote 0