Canon officially announces the EOS Rebel SL3

Well, this is largely a US centric site....and in the US we don't commonly use the metric system, so, it shouldn't come as a surprise for us to use non-metric measurements in non-scientific situtations.

For instance, I would have no idea in my head without looking it up, as to how to dress if the weatherman on morning TV said it would be 20C outside....but if he said 20F outside, I'd know to bundle up as that it was really really cold out.

The US isn't likely to change anytime in the near future, so, no need to get on a soapbox, and try to sound sophisticated and holier than thou about it all.

And I do believe the US aren't the only ones to still use non-metric measurements, I even understand that in some EU countries they occasionally still use imperial units of measurements for some common every day things....pints of beer, etc?
I would have replied to your message, but my previous post resulted in a draconian 12 hour ban so I know when tom keep my mouth shut about passionate things that are dear to my heart as PhD in biochemistry and being a upper secondary level biology and chemistry teacher teaching science .. I got the message no passion for science allowed on this site:eek:

Upvote 0
i wish theyd do like apple did with the 5 SE and 6S being the same internally and make the insides of the t7i(or close as possible) in the SL size camera, since mirrorless is still sooo much smaller/lighter, unless you go for FF.

since thats not happening, I still have the xsi but the 18-55 kit is broken. I still use the 75-300 and it works for what it is. So of course the SL3 is a step up, but I'd like to find a tad better/faster option that the kit lens, and a 50mm and a 55-250. Any options are arent much more expensive for those listed at options on amazon(https://www.amazon.com/EOS-Rebel-SL...sl3&qid=1555090934&s=gift-cards&sr=8-6&th=1)? Before I just pick one of their selected options, any input would be great.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
EOS RP or SL3 ? Arrgh !~

I would definitely go the rp out of those two. As a compliment to my 7d2 it would make far more sense than another aps c body. And if i remember correctly from your past posts you shoot a 7d2 aswell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I would have replied to your message, but my previous post resulted in a draconian 12 hour ban so I know when tom keep my mouth shut about passionate things that are dear to my heart as PhD in biochemistry and being a upper secondary level biology and chemistry teacher teaching science .. I got the message no passion for science allowed on this site:eek:

My undergraduate degree was in Biochem....

But still, outside of the lab, I've never found a real use for the metric system in every day life in the US.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
My undergraduate degree was in Biochem....

But still, outside of the lab, I've never found a real use for the metric system in every day life in the US.
I’m winding down a career in a research lab. Almost everything that we do is metric, except when dealing with our neighbours to the south.

Outside the lab, I buy maple syrup in litres, our flour in grams, drive kilometers to get home on a nice 20C day, and bake things in the oven in F.

Upvote 0
Is it just me, or does it seem like this update might have been less about "Canon wants an updated SL" and more about "Canon wanted to put the Digic 8 in the SL, and that meant they could easily add some video features and call it a day"? That was the only hardware upgrade I can see, and the feature upgrades are video features that match other Digic 8 cameras. Now the SL3 can soldier on into the future after the Digic 7 stops being produced.

Or maybe coffee hasn't kicked in enough.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Is it just me, or does it seem like this update might have been less about "Canon wants an updated SL" and more about "Canon wanted to put the Digic 8 in the SL, and that meant they could easily add some video features and call it a day"? That was the only hardware upgrade I can see, and the feature upgrades are video features that match other Digic 8 cameras. Now the SL3 can soldier on into the future after the Digic 7 stops being produced.

Or maybe coffee hasn't kicked in enough.
It has been the same with Canon's cheaper cameras for many years, so it is nothing unusual or unexpected.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
New camera models for entry level users are typically minor changes, but when you look at the big picture, they add up. 1800 shots per battery charge, thats amazing for a DSLR, and that's with a LP-17 that is unchanged.

First time buyers want the latest and greatest, they do not want a 2017 model, they want a 2019 model. Its the same with many products. Automobiles, the same car with a new model year and a few tweaks, why does this surprise anyone?

Upvote 0
I would definitely go the rp out of those two. As a compliment to my 7d2 it would make far more sense than another aps c body. And if i remember correctly from your past posts you shoot a 7d2 aswell.

Thanks for the great advice !
I am aiming for the 1DX2 and another travel friendly option - EOS RP !~

Upvote 0