Canon officially announces the EOS RP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Press Release:
New Super-Compact and Ultra-Lightweight EOS RP is Ideal for Users Looking to Graduate to Full-Frame Mirrorless Camera at an Affordable Price
MELVILLE, N.Y., February 13, 2019 – Responding to the demand from amateur and advanced amateur photographers for an entry-level, full-frame mirrorless camera, Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the second camera in the EOS R lineup, the EOS RP. The EOS RP is designed for photographers looking to step up from Canon’s APS-C cameras: the EOS Rebel, EOS M and the EOS 80D, into the world of full-frame mirrorless photography. Weighing in at just 17.29 ounces, the EOS RP camera is lighter than a 500ml bottle of water and smaller than Canon’s popular APS-C DSLR camera, the Canon EOS Rebel T7i, coming in at approximately 5.0in (w) x 3.77in (h) x 2.36in (d). With optics at its core, the EOS RP takes full advantage of the complete line up of RF lenses and is compatible with the existing...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Did anyone count how many times he said Full Frame, I lost count after 23.

I didn't count, but the video definitely illustrates that this is a concerted move by Canon to persuade amateurs and enthusiasts shooting APS-C to make the move to full-frame. At this price point, I anticipate the effort will be wildly successful.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Not that I care about video but the 4K doesn't have DPAF, only contrast AF.
Gordon Laing review on YouTube.
Also, didnt notice this from the full specs originally, but the Gizmodo review pointed it out.
The EOS RP also has an oddity when it comes to video resolutions because while it can shoot 4K video at 24 fps, when set to 1080p, you only get the choice of 30 or 60 fps. Weird.
What a weird set of choices from Canon. 4k/24 with no DPAF, and then either 1080/60 or 1080/30 w/ DPAF, though at fairly low bit rates. You'd think this camera would be a big hook for vloggers, and yet they've removed some of the key features they'd need...

Upvote 0
In the Adorama video, it looked like the sensor was exposed when the lens was changed. Does it not have the closed shutter feature of the EOS R to protect the sensor? Kind of a bummer if it doesn't...

Yes, it seems to miss on that feature too. I thought it is one of those distinctive features, which will differentiate Canon from the others, being available on all FF MILC bodies. The same as we have DPAF on all sensors and hopefully tilty-flippy on all future bodies.

Upvote 0
I was all excited to hear from Rudy Winston. John did well, though. :)

Now for the hands-on reviews!

... like

While I am intrigued by the concept of that camera the missing of DPAF in 4k and FHD with EF-S lenses is a big compromise because I wanted to use this camera for some video. No 120 fps mode is another caveat because I need it for some situations - so I will stay with M50 for the moment.

Maybe at 1150 EUR without grip and EF adapter - I am not interested in the standard EF adapter but the control ring adapter.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Check out Jared Polin review, it is the best out there from the ones that came out with the launch of the cameras.
Thanks for the link: a well made review from Jared (as always) - with eye AF: I would have liked to see a direct comparison between EOS RP and a SONY (same lighting , same model, same FL etc.). IMO the movements of the model were very erratic and had wide amplitude.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Thanks for the link: a well made review from Jared (as always) - with eye AF: I would have liked to see a direct comparison between EOS RP and a SONY (same lighting , same model, same FL etc.). IMO the movements of the model were very erratic and had wide amplitude.
Yes, seeing other videos it seems that my initial assessment was rushed, it is safe to say that it works ok, but not nearly as well as Sony's current models.

I wonder if DPreview will come out with a video soon or they got left out, because of their fairly negative take on the EOS R.

Upvote 0