Canon Officially Announces The PowerShot G1 X Mark III

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Jopa said:
The G1-3 is a little bigger than the RX100, I wish they would make it a fraction bigger but put a 1 stop brighter lens, it would be an instant pre-order from me.

Ja, the f/5.6 is strangely faster than the EF-M 15-45 but even still seems too slow vs. the compacts. Most of the premium fixed lens rigs with smaller sensors miraculously jam fast glass in there, but I'm guessing that may have been problematic for APS-C.

What the smallest APS-C zoom anyone has ever seen? Would f/4 on the long end have made this collapsible lens design impractical or too large?

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
ahsanford said:
Jopa said:
The G1-3 is a little bigger than the RX100, I wish they would make it a fraction bigger but put a 1 stop brighter lens, it would be an instant pre-order from me.

Ja, the f/5.6 is strangely faster than the EF-M 15-45 but even still seems too slow vs. the compacts. Most of the premium fixed lens rigs with smaller sensors miraculously jam fast glass in there, but I'm guessing that may have been problematic for APS-C.

What the smallest APS-C zoom anyone has ever seen? Would f/4 on the long end have made this collapsible lens design impractical or too large?

- A

An f/4 would be da bomb :)

IMHO all Canon needs is to make this lens https://www.sony.com/electronics/camera-lenses/selp1650 but good quality. Put it on an M6 and all problems solved.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
Looking at several comments and general reaction, it seems to me the APS-C sensor is not a big deal for a potential group of audience who looks at this camera. From lens speed to zoom range it's compared to classic compact camera ecosystem where the largest sensor you may have is 1". On the other hand, it does not have the retro range finder look that Fuji X100 offers. It's a somewhat new offering and I'm curious how will it be received in the market.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Thom Hogan's take on the G1X III ... http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/another-canon-aps-c-option.html

I totally agree with his assessment, why the G1X III has such #Canon-fugly llooks
The G1 X Mark III is a bit of an ugly duckling. The proportions don't look right, with a large EVF+flash up top and the declining size, multi-stage power zoom lens looking very odd together. It's also unclear why the right hand grip is as shallow as it is, given that the collapsed lens still sticks out further.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Thom Hogan's take on the G1X III ... http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/another-canon-aps-c-option.html

I totally agree with his assessment, why the G1X III has such #Canon-fugly llooks
The G1 X Mark III is a bit of an ugly duckling. The proportions don't look right, with a large EVF+flash up top and the declining size, multi-stage power zoom lens looking very odd together. It's also unclear why the right hand grip is as shallow as it is, given that the collapsed lens still sticks out further.

I disagree. I read it like as if there was nothing to talk about at this point, so why not wrote it is ugly.
To be honest, I've been waiting for this camera since Mark II was out.
Where else can you find this camera with these features. And Canon made if possible.
1. I wonder if a camera exist with APC size that is small enough?
2. I want it to have vari-angle so I can take selfie.
3. I want it to have touch screen and DPAF so I can ask some one take photo of me, and easy for them.

How else can you mount flash and EVF. It should be on the center - this is the specs and they made it right.
Why would you want hand grip to be thicker? - we want it to be small factor.

And to compare it with Eos M5. LOL. Does the eos M5 has vari-angle screen?
The question is, if the G1x M3 is as capable as M5, why buy the M5, if you don't change lens as much?

And Really.. You want to debate manufacturer about pricing?

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
eninja said:
AvTvM said:

I disagree. I read it like as if there was nothing to talk about at this point, so why not wrote it is ugly.
To be honest, I've been waiting for this camera since Mark II was out.
Where else can you find this camera with these features. And Canon made if possible.
1. I wonder if a camera exist with APC size that is small enough?
2. I want it to have vari-angle so I can take selfie.
3. I want it to have touch screen and DPAF so I can ask some one take photo of me, and easy for them.

How else can you mount flash and EVF. It should be on the center - this is the specs and they made it right.
Why would you want hand grip to be thicker? - we want it to be small factor.

And to compare it with Eos M5. LOL. Does the eos M5 has vari-angle screen?
The question is, if the G1x M3 is as capable as M5, why buy the M5, if you don't change lens as much?

And Really.. You want to debate manufacturer about pricing?

i don't debate. i observe, comment, criticize abd applaud. and yes, i am entitled to do so. :)

E.g. that fully articulated LCD on the G1X III just highlights how stupid Canon's half-assed implementations of the flip-flap LCDs on both EOS M5 and M6 really is.

and i would prefer the EVF placed as pop-up in top left corner of camera, not in a hump. much better for the clear majority of right-eyed users like me.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
As far as pricing goes, Canon's only competing against itself it would appear:

EOS M5 + 15-45 kit = $1049

G1x3 = same as above + leaf shutter + smaller footprint + slightly brighter lens + non-modular mount (for getting into events/sports) = $1299

Seems about right in that light. Both are overpriced, of course, but I see why a G1x3 would have a higher price than the M5 kit.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
ahsanford said:
eninja said:
I meant the author of the article, in the end he insist Canon explain to him for the high price. :)

Questioning Canon pricing is tantamount to wondering why a dog licks its stuff.

- A

Wow, I never knew... Dogs think that licking their stuff is how they squeeze the most of you? :D

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
AvTvM said:
not questioning each and every supplier's pricing for each and every product ... is ... plain stupid. :)

Why?
See the product, try it out, look at the price...are you willing to pay.
Knowing the cost model they used will not change the fact whether it is worth buying. On that basis, non-one would buy Apple gear.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
AvTvM said:
public questioning of prices or business practices often is surprisingly effective ... probably more so than just quietly making a personal buy/no buy decision. Every business is fully dependent on trust and reputation. Even infallible Canon. ;-)

I disagree. You see lots of "public outcry" over things like Lightroom pricing, or iPhone ##, iPad ##, Galaxy S# yet those products are smashing commercial successes by every metric that matters to the company (like profits, growth, marketshare, and mindshare).

At the end of the day, the ratio of people who buy things (or not) and are passionate enough about that decision and prefer to spend their time to post about it online versus the number of people who just buy things (or not) is really tiny. And, the people who go online are often strongly set in their opinion, and are difficult to sway either way.

Also, as much as we love to think that price is a priority, for people who buy luxury items or work tools, price often is only a superficial priority. Someone might SAY price is very important to them (even a determinant factor), yet when push comes to shove, they buy what they want and justify it, rather than an alternative.

The way to convince a company that product that it's too expensive is to not buy it. It's unlikely that the price will change in the short term (among other things, large companies are not nimble), but long term, or a future generation product may see a change.

The other way to convince a company that price is very important or how relatively determinant price is, is to participate in surveys, focus groups, round tables (especially the latter two) and bring along well-thought points. Usually, that will require you to be a professional in its target market.

Upvote 0
Talys said:
AvTvM said:
public questioning of prices or business practices often is surprisingly effective ... probably more so than just quietly making a personal buy/no buy decision. Every business is fully dependent on trust and reputation. Even infallible Canon. ;-)

I disagree. You see lots of "public outcry" over things like Lightroom pricing, or iPhone ##, iPad ##, Galaxy S# yet those products are smashing commercial successes by every metric that matters to the company (like profits, growth, marketshare, and mindshare).

At the end of the day, the ratio of people who buy things (or not) and are passionate enough about that decision and prefer to spend their time to post about it online versus the number of people who just buy things (or not) is really tiny. And, the people who go online are often strongly set in their opinion, and are difficult to sway either way.
... SNIP...
The other way to convince a company that price is very important or how relatively determinant price is, is to participate in surveys, focus groups, round tables (especially the latter two) and bring along well-thought points. Usually, that will require you to be a professional in its target market.

The marketing guys usually get it right ... there are many reasons why you price and spec a product a certain way not least to fill a gap in the market to capture a certain kind of customer, act as halo product etc.

Take the iPhone X ... CLEARLY over priced for most, but there are a sufficient number of well-healed customers with fat wallets who are prepared to pay almost ANYTHING to get the latest greatest Apple product. The marketing team knows this and doesn't care that the rest of the market is not interested, they only want to maximise profit and brand.

Upvote 0
merefield said:
The marketing guys usually get it right ... there are many reasons why you price and spec a product a certain way not least to fill a gap in the market to capture a certain kind of customer, act as halo product etc.

Take the iPhone X ... CLEARLY over priced for most, but there are a sufficient number of well-healed customers with fat wallets who are prepared to pay almost ANYTHING to get the latest greatest Apple product. The marketing team knows this and doesn't care that the rest of the market is not interested, they only want to maximise profit and brand.
The price of the G1 X Mark III matches the Fujifilm X100F

Canon EOS M5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 15-45mm Lens is $1,049 but is heavier, larger and has a slower lens than the G1X Mark III. Both cameras share the same focal length range and APS-C image sensor.

The PowerShot isnt primarily targeted at people who need an ILC.

Its for people who want as small and light a camera possible that provides superior image quality to supplement and connect to their smartphone.

To further assert this position that there is a market for the G1X Mark III on October 12, 2017 Canon manufactured it's 90 millionth EOS body and 130 millionth EF lens.

That comes out as 1.4444 lenses for every 1 body.

This tells me that the majority of body owners probably own 1 lens. This lens is probably the bundled kit lens hence the popularity of body kits from as high as a the 5D series to the entry 200D/SL2.

The minority own more than 1 lens.

I vaguely remember that the 1-Series bodies make up 1% of the annual production run of EOS bodies of Canon. I have never seen a 1-Series body kit bundle offered since I kept track of dSLRs in 2003.

This would be similar to Nikon as well.

So at most 1-Series bodies will not exceed 1 million units in its whole production run.

This is the same as the iPhone X. It might appeal to the top 1% or top 10% of iPhone users.

Upvote 0