Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

Jethro

EOS R
Jul 14, 2018
Yes, but it's not that easy at all that a company improves the firmware of several cameras to make customers happier.

There must be a LOT of buzz/complains/bad reviews/etc. to achieve that.

Fortunately it happened, and Canon took the right decision. (Obviously, not only to make people happier, but to sale more & keep loyalty at some level)
Actually firmware updates seem to be a relatively regular occurrence with newer cameras, both to add new features (maybe developed after the initial release), to fix bugs etc and (yes) occasionally to add features that weren't included in the original menus. The best way to get them to do it seems to be to tell Canon Support directly - they seem to take more notice of that than endless threads in discussion sites.

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Actually firmware updates seem to be a relatively regular occurrence with newer cameras, both to add new features (maybe developed after the initial release), to fix bugs etc and (yes) occasionally to add features that weren't included in the original menus. The best way to get them to do it seems to be to tell Canon Support directly - they seem to take more notice of that than endless threads in discussion sites.
No, it's not right that it's a "relatively regular occurrence". That might be the impression due to this particular but "abnormal" event.

Firmware updates are almost always only released to fix bugs ("phenomenons" on specific situations), "sometimes" (I remark it) to improve AF (LOT more common to improve sensitivity of central AF points on Optical Viewfinders of high-end DSLRs), to improve Compatibility with newer lenses, etc.

But VERY, VERY seldom to add a new feature.

This is especially true for Canon. I'm really old on this matter, and worked a lot about that. That's why I know it very well... Deeper than I ever expected.

I do hope Canon changes and opens mind, but it's a big Company (always seeking better sales and "protecting" different product segments).. and a VERY rigid managed one. (Don't confuse Canon USA with Canon Japan. ALL decisions are taken by Canon Japan)

This time we were VERY lucky indeed... Addition of 24p + improved AF on G7X III (I hope they also improve AF on G5X II)

Last edited:

stevelee

FT-QL
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I thought I posted this the other day, but it didn't show up here. As we left Venice just after sunset I took pictures from my stateroom balcony. This one was made at 1/20 sec at ISO 3200, handheld from a moving ship. I reduced noise in the sky a bit. I probably could have cut back on the highlights slider to reduce the flare from lights. It probably wouldn't blow up that great, but I still think it is a nice shot under the circumstances. I took another one that I might like a little better, but it was at ISO 6400, so a little noisier from the small sensor. I reduced the noise too much on the JPEG I did, so I'll probably go back and redo it.
IMG_2984.jpg

Reactions: PVCC

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I thought I posted this the other day, but it didn't show up here. As we left Venice just after sunset I took pictures from my stateroom balcony. This one was made at 1/20 sec at ISO 3200, handheld from a moving ship. I reduced noise in the sky a bit. I probably could have cut back on the highlights slider to reduce the flare from lights. It probably wouldn't blow up that great, but I still think it is a nice shot under the circumstances. I took another one that I might like a little better, but it was at ISO 6400, so a little noisier from the small sensor. I reduced the noise too much on the JPEG I did, so I'll probably go back and redo it.
View attachment 187556
Great beautiful shot considering the situation!

I'm sure you could have lowered the shutter speed if you were on the ground, thanks to the image stabilization, hence decreasing ISO too.

The I.S. is a must have nowadays...

I have the Canon EF 24-70 2.8L II and still miss it a LOT to shoot handheld static subjects/landscapes in low light without needing to increase ISO, even when I have very good technique & use self-timer, etc

Reactions: stevelee