Canon officially announces the PowerShot G5 X Mark II and PowerShot G7 X Mark III

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
So both, the G7X II and G5X II have 4cm outer diameter on the lens housing (the most extended "tube", where Cacon printed the zoom range and maximum aperture)?
Yes.

Do you set the camera so that it never turns itself off? I would expect the automatic retraction of the lens would not be good for the lens mechanism or the attachment if that happened.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
Yes.

Do you set the camera so that it never turns itself off? I would expect the automatic retraction of the lens would not be good for the lens mechanism or the attachment if that happened.

I carefully check the images of the filter dialog snd it seems the lens can retract and close without problems because the adapter is glued over the part of the lens where is printed the lens focal lenght & max aperture.
And that part of the lens is not covered for the lens "protection curtains" that close when you turn the camera off.

So IF the INNER diameter of the most extended part of lens of both G7X II & G5X II is the same, since the external on both is 4cm, then the adapter should wourk..

Could you please check the inner diameter?

If you can attach a picture of the G5X II when turned off, showing that part of the lens, to see if it remains at same level or over the lens ring/housing, that should be great too.

I checked online pictures but couldn't tell with certainty if the lens border is "over" or "below" the lens ring when the camera is turned off and facing upfacing up.

Sorry if my explanation sounds a bit confusing, I don't know the exact words in English to do it better

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'll try to do this in the next day or two. I have a lot going on.

The area you are talking about retracts into being flush with the ring around the lens. There is less than a millimeter clearance, it looks like, around that portion, once retracted. The inner rectangle is covered by the built-in lens cap that covers the whole circle around it. I can't imagine any sort of attachment that you could leave on with the lens retracted. By default, the lens will retract on its own after a minute of not being used. The G5X II and the G7X II work the same in this regard.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
The rounded rectangle of both models is close to 21 x 28mm.

Turned off the G5X II looks like this:
View attachment 186356

Hi!

Great info and picture!

- I'm sorry to ask, if you can take the same picture of the G7X II?

- And also I have this doubt: the printed brand and lens focal info look bigger on the G7X II (from pictures I found on internet).
Are those front lens borders circles still the same width/size?
That would help a lot to compare if the recessed lens is about the same amount on both cameras.

On the G5X II picture, it looks like the lens is a bit more inside than the ring border.

The filter adapter has a bit raised space to keep the filter ring over the whole camera lens housing, so the G7X II can be turned off without inconvenience

If it's too bothering, don't worry and don't do it (I know you already took lot of time to do this, and I really thank you for that!)

Screenshot_20190905-215448_Gallery.jpg

51RR+p6KgeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
It appears that the ring might be as much as 1.5mm narrower on the G5X II:

View attachment 186389

Great comparison!!
Thank you so much, it was imposible to get a picture like that on internet...

I think the filter adapter should work on the G5X II, so far I didn't find any other option.

You've been so kind and helpful.
Thank you very much once again!

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
And here are the cameras turned on, and with the lenses extended, but not zoomed in:

View attachment 186392
Thank you!

I think I'll take the risk buying that another if I don't find another option to attach filters.

Hopefully it won't make any vignette since the inner diameter is 1.5mm narrower on the G5X II

I also hope the lens recessed when camera G5XII is turned "off" is the same as G7X II and enough to allow the adapter to be just over the lens ring.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Hey!

One question: Does G5X II have some internal memory or you MUST insert a SD Card to take pictures?
There is no storage other than the SD card. The store had the 128 GB card on sale for only $10 more than the 64 GB card, so that's what I bought. I've been using a 64 GB card in the G7X II and haven't come close to filling it up on recent trips. I normally reformat the card in the camera after I transfer pictures to the computer. On a 12-day trip this summer, I took 900+ Raw pictures and one short video, and didn't come close to filling up the card. I haven't erased those pictures from the 64 GB card, and the camera says I can still shoot another 1100 Raw shots or 82 minutes of video in the remaining space.

All that said, perhaps one should not put all the eggs in one basket. So a lot of folks would rather carry several smaller cards than one 64 or 128 GB SD card.

Also, some older cards may not work in the camera. On an extensive trip right after I got the G7X II, I also took my S120 along, in case there was a problem with the new camera or I might want to take the slightly smaller S120 out some days. (I still didn't know whether I preferred the new camera in all circumstances.) It turns out that I never used it. When I filled up the memory card in the G7X II, I decided to take the 32GB card out of the S120. It was older, but rated a 10 in speed and works fine in the S120. The G7X II wouldn't recognize it at all and wouldn't format it, so I put it back in the S120 and got the spare 4 GB card out to use, and then bought another card (the 64 GB that I've been using since) when I got to a town.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
There is no storage other than the SD card. The store had the 128 GB card on sale for only $10 more than the 64 GB card, so that's what I bought. I've been using a 64 GB card in the G7X II and haven't come close to filling it up on recent trips. I normally reformat the card in the camera after I transfer pictures to the computer. On a 12-day trip this summer, I took 900+ Raw pictures and one short video, and didn't come close to filling up the card. I haven't erased those pictures from the 64 GB card, and the camera says I can still shoot another 1100 Raw shots or 82 minutes of video in the remaining space.

All that said, perhaps one should not put all the eggs in one basket. So a lot of folks would rather carry several smaller cards than one 64 or 128 GB SD card.

Also, some older cards may not work in the camera. On an extensive trip right after I got the G7X II, I also took my S120 along, in case there was a problem with the new camera or I might want to take the slightly smaller S120 out some days. (I still didn't know whether I preferred the new camera in all circumstances.) It turns out that I never used it. When I filled up the memory card in the G7X II, I decided to take the 32GB card out of the S120. It was older, but rated a 10 in speed and works fine in the S120. The G7X II wouldn't recognize it at all and wouldn't format it, so I put it back in the S120 and got the spare 4 GB card out to use, and then bought another card (the 64 GB that I've been using since) when I got to a town.

Thank you!

Yes, it's always good to carry a spare card. I usually do it, especially when traveling (better to be on the safe side), but I didn't know if the G5X II has a bit of internal memory, just in case.

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I’m traveling with the G5X II. It is taking a little more effort to get used to than I expected, given that I’m used to the G7. Somehow it seems to reset to the mode of using the screen as a shutter button, so I get pictures of my feet and of the floor. I’ll write more of my experience as I get more adjusted. So far the pictures I take on purpose look good.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
I’m traveling with the G5X II. It is taking a little more effort to get used to than I expected, given that I’m used to the G7. Somehow it seems to reset to the mode of using the screen as a shutter button, so I get pictures of my feet and of the floor. I’ll write more of my experience as I get more adjusted. So far the pictures I take on purpose look good.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's weird. Maybe some settings not adjusted properly?

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In the week I have used the G5 on the trip, I have taken 1081 pictures including the ones of my feet and the floor. I leave it set on the page where the menu button takes me directly to the page to turn off the touch shutter “feature.” It doesn’t happen that often, now that I know what is happening.

I was waiting outside the Uffizi Gallery. As I sat, the camera fell out of my jacket pocket on to the pavement. The battery door came open, but the camera seems to be no worse for wear, even cosmetically.

Upvote 0

PVCC

Arts & Engineering
Jul 5, 2019
In the week I have used the G5 on the trip, I have taken 1081 pictures including the ones of my feet and the floor. I leave it set on the page where the menu button takes me directly to the page to turn off the touch shutter “feature.” It doesn’t happen that often, now that I know what is happening.

I was waiting outside the Uffizi Gallery. As I sat, the camera fell out of my jacket pocket on to the pavement. The battery door came open, but the camera seems to be no worse for wear, even cosmetically.

Ugh..!!
I will have a pouch and slim strap or lanyard. I hope mine never fall out

BTW, did you use the flash? If yes, what is your opinion about it and how long can be the range?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Ugh..!!
I will have a pouch and slim strap or lanyard. I hope mine never fall out

BTW, did you use the flash? If yes, what is your opinion about it and how long can be the range?

Thanks!
I’ve never tried the flash or thought I needed it. Also, I am touring in places where flash is not allowed. I did try out the flash one time on the G7 just to see how its spring would let you do bounce. I assume this flash works the same way.
With a f/1.8 lens, image stabilization, decent high ISO IQ, natural light is almost always more than adequate. As for fill-in flash, the “shadows“ slider in ACR almost always works well for that.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
One thing to watch, this camera, like my old one, has an exposure compensation dial around and below the mode dial. I like that, but it makes it easy to turn the dial by accident. I did that yesterday and made a few over-exposed shots before I noticed it. They’ll probably be fine in post anyway, and we’re not of anything too important to me.

Upvote 0