Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Nikon Z6/Z7, Sony A7III/A7RIII/A9 & PanasonicS1/S1R can all do FF 4K without a crop but with line skipping, pixel binning or oversampling.
I think it was meant that producing a good quality video (i.e. good detail, better noise handling, better moire handling, better color reproduction, less artifacts, less aliasing) from full-frame readout using the three existing methods (i.e. line skipping, pixel binning, oversampling) has not been proven to do any better than cropping except that in crop the field of view will be changed. Perhaps electing to use cropping is by choice, like any other three techniques, and not by force.

Oversampling is the way to go. You get even more detail than 1:1 4K. It's the 4K method Z6/A7III/S1employ.

However the severe rolling shutter in 4K seems to indicate EOS R is struggling to do even 1:1 readout.

Anyway, producing good quality video in camera, among other factors, depends on resolution power of the lens, less aberration and less focus shift and according to Canon it seems that this new RF 85mm will be good for it.

True..perhaps Sony/Nikon/Panasonic video users should rejoice at the perspective of adapting this lens to their systems in order to fully benefit from the lenses FoV & resolving power.. Because for us Canon video shooters it is but a non-stabilized $2700 153mm F2 which is a lens nobody was asking for AFAIK!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Oversampling is the way to go. You get even more detail than 1:1 4K. It's the 4K method Z6/A7III/S1employ.

However the severe rolling shutter in 4K seems to indicate EOS R is struggling to do even 1:1 readout.

True..perhaps Sony/Nikon/Panasonic video users should rejoice at the perspective of adapting this lens to their systems in order to fully benefit from the lenses FoV & resolving power.. Because for us Canon video shooters it is but a non-stabilized $2700 153mm F2 which is a lens nobody was asking for AFAIK!
I must have missed the marketing surveys. Fortunately, Canon doesn't make these cameras exclusively for the video folks, none of which (according to you), were asking for this lens. That being the case, I have no idea why video people would have any feeling one way or another about the lens. ;) It really was a struggle when I was younger, but I had to learn that just because I
like or don't like something it doesn't mean the whole world is marching down the same path I am. "Everybody, nobody, everyone, the whole world, all people, etc." are words I try to avoid when talking about my personal preferences, likes, and dislikes.

I'm 100% sure, though, that there will be at least one video person somewhere that is ecstatic about this lens whether he/she asked Canon to build it or not.

BTW: The lens is still f/1.2 whether cropped or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must have missed the marketing surveys. Fortunately, Canon doesn't make these cameras exclusively for the video folks, none of which (according to you), were asking for this lens. That being the case, I have no idea why video people would have any feeling one way or another about the lens. ;) It really was a struggle when I was younger, but I had to learn that just because I don't like or don't like something it doesn't mean the whole world is marching down the same path I am. "Everybody, nobody, everyone, the whole world, all people, etc." are words I try to avoid when talking about my personal preferences, likes, and dislikes.

I'm 100% sure, though, that there will be at least one video person somewhere that is ecstatic about this lens whether he/she asked Canon to build it or not.

BTW: The lens is still f/1.2 whether cropped or not.

Ironically it is so typical of still shooters to completely disregard the needs of others (i.e "video folks").

Why does it surprise you EOS R hybrid/video shooters have an opinion on a new native lens release? Does our voice not count?

85mm is a popular prime lens focal length both in photography & cinema. 153mm isn't. simple as that.

Again I was just surprised to see this lens advertised for video in the promo, considering the severe 4K limitations.

Canon really need to step up the 4K specs in their upcoming body if they expect to sell these to more than "one video person".

Even still shooters seem shocked by the price, so imagine how hybrid/video people feel about a $2700 153m f/2.

BTW: The lens remains a f/1.2 at aperture value however the DoF becomes closer to a F/2 on a crop sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Ironically it is so typical of still shooters to completely disregard the needs of others (i.e "video folks").

Why does it surprise you EOS R hybrid/video shooters have an opinion on a new native lens release? Does our voice not count?

85mm is a popular prime lens focal length both in photography & cinema. 153mm isn't. simple as that.

Again I was just surprised to see this lens advertised for video in the promo, considering the severe 4K limitations.

Canon really need to step up the 4K specs in their upcoming body if they expect to sell these to more than "one video person".

Even still shooters seem shocked by the price, so imagine how hybrid/video people feel about a $2700 153m f/2.

BTW: The lens remains a f/1.2 at aperture value however the DoF becomes closer to a F/2 on a crop sensor.
Your comment is completely valid however there has been so much chatter about Canon and 4k on this forum for the past few years, the stills community tires of the talk. You can understand, right? Canon has an amazing line of video gear, it's just not the dslr's.

I'm a stills only guy myself, I just try to tune out the video talk and filter for what pertains to me. However, when the responses to personal wants vs needs not being met and how Canon is doomed because of video features on dslr's arises, I am a bit put off.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Your comment is completely valid however there has been so much chatter about Canon and 4k on this forum for the past few years, the stills community tires of the talk. You can understand, right? Canon has an amazing line of video gear, it's just not the dslr's.

I'm a stills only guy myself, I just try to tune out the video talk and filter for what pertains to me. However, when the responses to personal wants vs needs not being met and how Canon is doomed because of video features on dslr's arises, I am a bit put off.

I understand, but you have to realise Canon once dominated video back in the DSLR FF revolution started by the 5D2/5D3.

Many of us are still with Canon and are patiently waiting to finally get FF 4K (the only option for that in the cinema line costs $37,000).

Every other company is doing it, including Nikon who doesn't even have a video line/department so it's kinda frustrating.

Even more so when you see Canon advertising their pricy new lenses for video, which is the only reason I'm calling them out here.

I'm a EOS Cinema line owner btw. But like many, we also want to use mirrorless for B-cams on gimbals, sliders etc.

Anyways, better video specs will improve lens sales which in turn will help the EOS R system grow.

It's a win-win even for still only shooters, so keep an open mind towards our "complaints". ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is that because you believe your opinion represents that of the majority of video and/or hybrid shooters? I supppse that could be true, but I highly doubt you can support that claim with evidence.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

First you say nobody asked for this lens. Disregarding the needs of stills shooters? I don't think you do. However, you can get the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS for your video needs... with zero hit to image quality when using the adapter.

Not surprised at all. Sure your voice counts. As much as anyone else's.

Not true. The lens is 85mm no matter what you mount it on. Crop is in the camera, not the lens. 85mm lenses aren't popular in Cinema? Then why does Canon sell exactly that focal length for it's Super 35 Cinema camers? ($4,000) And where do you get 153mm? It is more like around 127mm.

Again, Canon sells $4,000 85mm cinema lenses for their Super 35 cinema cameras. The lens has zero 4k limitations. You are talking about the camera again, not the lens.

:rolleyes: Guess what? Not everybody shoots or wants to shoot in 4K

The price is high. Yup. But then there's the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS for $1,000 less. How people "feel" about the new lens is a personal choice.

:cry:So? Sounds like you need a Sony a7S. What the heck have you been doing up until now? In 1080p the lens is f/1.2. That is most probably the resolution most people use. You don't really own Canon, do you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not true. The lens is 85mm no matter what you mount it on. Crop is in the camera, not the lens. 85mm lenses aren't popular in Cinema? Then why does Canon sell exactly that focal length for it's Super 35 Cinema camers? ($4,000) And where do you get 153mm? It is more like around 127mm.

85mm x 1.8 crop = 153mm

Please read more carefully, I said 85mm lens IS popular in cinema. 153mm IS NOT.

Again, Canon sells $4,000 85mm cinema lenses for their Super 35 cinema cameras. The lens has zero 4k limitations. You are talking about the camera again, not the lens.

Super35 is a standard. 1.8x is not.

You can't speak about a (FF) lens without it's (1.8x) cropped video performance on the camera. It's a chicken & egg thing.

:cry:So? Sounds like you need a Sony a7S. What the heck have you been doing up until now? In 1080p the lens is f/1.2. That is most probably the resolution most people use. You don't really own Canon, do you?

I probably own more Canon gear than you can ever dream of. Pro DSLRs, Cinema cameras, EOS R, L series glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
85mm x 1.8 crop = 153mm

Please read more carefully, I said 85mm lens IS popular in cinema. 153mm IS NOT.

Read more carefully ---- 85mm is popular with Super 35 cinema shooters. Canon sells 85mm cinema lenses. Super 35 for Canon is 1.5 crop factor. 85mm x 1.5 = 127.5. You said 85mm is not popular with cinema shooters. It is. Not with R shooters? How in the world would you possibly know that? What you mean is that YOU don't like it. It is also popular with 1080p shooters in FF. That is the majority of users right now. Canon isn't chasing the $ from outliers.

It's kind of sad you can't make any type of constructive criticism about Canon without being called a Sony troll.

Never called you a Sony troll. Ever. Never ever. Never even suggested, implied, or inferred it. Paranoid?

You however are evidently a blatant fanboy as your user name proudly admits. It's therefore useless to even attempt a conversation with you.

Obviously, yes, I am a fanboy. I wear it like a badge of honor. Thank you for the compliment. :) Yet you attempt conversation anyway.

Didn't you say 85mm lenses are not popular with cinema shooters? You absolutely did. So Regardless, 85mm lenses are popular... no matter the crop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CN-E 85mm T1.3 is a FF lens not an APS-C/Super35 lens.

1.8x crop is closer to M43 then to Super35.

Every other FF MILC competitor is doing 4K FF+Super35 modes.

FACTS.

It's perfectly valid to expect Canon to do FF 4K in the near future.

Here is a vid from one of the most popular youtube videographers on exactly the topics i've raised in this thread:

He shoots on a C200, 1DX II & EOS R btw...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Hey! Some info on the DS version versus the standard RF 85 f1.2 L here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...RF-85mm-F12-L-USM-vs-the-RF-86mm-F12-L-USM-DS

Edit: Of most interest to me was the reported light loss from the DS version, of 1,5 stops when shooting wide open. Interesting image samples to.

And the DS version won’t be announced until 2 half of 2019...

Thank you so much for this. For ME, the background of the normal lens looks better and the 1.5 stop light loss is a deal breaker. Thank you for pointing that out. I was very curious about this lens and the hype is over for me.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Thank you so much for this. For ME, the background of the normal lens looks better and the 1.5 stop light loss is a deal breaker. Thank you for pointing that out. I was very curious about this lens and the hype is over for me.
I would like to see more image samples comparing bokeh, but yes, I did also prefer the normal version in those samples. 1,5 stops isn’t too bad though. It makes it effectively f2, which is my most used aperture with the EF 85 f 1.2L.

Upvote 0
No, I have the R and the Rf50 and that lens is perfect for the price. This new lens should be the same value. No way to put more 300$ on there.

Exactly. Wish it was less money, but after owning the RF 50mm 1.2, hard to say they are not worth the money. I owned a Milvus 85mm and the new RF 50 renders as lovely, but with AF and the extra control. I feel that Canon may become the "Zeiss" of the near future.

Upvote 0