Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

Jan 1, 2019
I’ve seen many professional portrait and wedding photographers with an 85/1.2. Had one myself, swapped it for the f/1.4 IS version (although cost was not a factor in that decision).
I love the EF 50 1.2 and the EF 85 1.2 II, when i bought the R i bought the RF 50 1.2, and now i have pre-ordered the 85. I do not understand what all the complaining is about - if it will not pay for itself over the time you want to depreciate it for the business, don't buy it. at that point it seems like a perfect candidate to rent when needed... And Canon will come out with the f/1.8 or 1.4 over time.

I would love to own a BIG white 300, 400,etc EF, but i only use a couple of times a year so easier to rent than buy... But i do not see all the complaining of cost on them.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy

CanonFanBoy

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 28, 2015
Irving, Texas
I love the EF 50 1.2 and the EF 85 1.2 II, when i bought the R i bought the RF 50 1.2, and now i have pre-ordered the 85. I do not understand what all the complaining is about - if it will not pay for itself over the time you want to depreciate it for the business, don't buy it. at that point it seems like a perfect candidate to rent when needed... And Canon will come out with the f/1.8 or 1.4 over time.

I would love to own a BIG white 300, 400,etc EF, but i only use a couple of times a year so easier to rent than buy... But i do not see all the complaining of cost on them.
They complain for the same reason potential clients might complain about the cost of a shoot. Silly thinking. There are lots of things in life people want, but don't want to pay for... then act persecuted on forums. ;)

Jan 31, 2016
Québec
They complain for the same reason potential clients might complain about the cost of a shoot. Silly thinking. There are lots of things in life people want, but don't want to pay for... then act persecuted on forums. ;)
It seems reasonable (and even sometimes useful) to complain about the cost of things we need to pay for (electricity, food, public transit, etc.), but not so much for things we want but easily can do without, like a photoshoot or an amazing new lens…

It would be totally irresponsible for me to buy the RF 85 f/1.2, but I hope many people will do, and I can't wait to go to my local store to try it!