Canon officially announces the RF 85mm f/1.2L USM

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
The computer generated mtfs Canon has released of the RF 85 f1.2 L compares favorably against Lensrentals mtf measurements of the Otus 85 and Sigma 85.

And that is at f1.2 compared to f1.4!

The best lens Lensrentals has measured wide open from an mtf standpoint is the new Sony FE 135 f1.8. The Canon RF 85 f1.2 seems comparable to the Sony.

But that is f1.2 vs f1.8!

The manufacturer MTFs from pre-release hardware are much less trustworthy than results measured by 3rd parties from off-the-shelf glass, of course, but the findings are still exciting in principle.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
The manufacturer MTFs from pre-release hardware are much less trustworthy than results measured by 3rd parties from off-the-shelf glass, of course, but the findings are still exciting in principle.

I agree, but just now, I compared Canons published mtf charts of the 35LII with Lensrentals measurements, and I found them to be almost indistinguishable. Easy to compare if you google “mtf canon 35 L II “and display/search for images.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This lens isn’t for you. Step aside for those that feel this lens is a worthy addition.

I for one will consider it when a pro R body is introduced.

Who are you to tell me if this lens is not for me? lol
I want this lens, just not for this price. Cause as you should know, this lens in Europe costs 3250€. It's almost two Eos R Body.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Who exactly is Canon making these lenses for? I've splurged on a lot of high end cameras and lenses in the past, but even I can't stomach this much for a prime lens.

I understand that these are "professional" lenses, but most of my photographer friends are definitely not in a place where they could drop this money on a lens.

I've been wanting an RF 50 1.2 for a while as well, but you still can't touch those for much under $2000, even used. One of the few used RF 50mms that I've seen come up for sale had sample photos the owner took that consisted of a glass of wine and a middle-aged woman standing next to a horse.

So, are these lenses basically just for extremely wealthy people who have too much money, or maybe a small sliver of upper-echelon professional photographers who make tons of money from their photography?

Seriously, who is the target market for these lenses? A normal person would not have a need for this, and it doesn't seem like spending this much on a lens would make good business sense for most professionals.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Who exactly is Canon making these lenses for? I've splurged on a lot of high end cameras and lenses in the past, but even I can't stomach this much for a prime lens.

I understand that these are "professional" lenses, but most of my photographer friends are definitely not in a place where they could drop this money on a lens.

I've been wanting an RF 50 1.2 for a while as well, but you still can't touch those for much under $2000, even used. One of the few used RF 50mms that I've seen come up for sale had sample photos the owner took that consisted of a glass of wine and a middle-aged woman standing next to a horse.

So, are these lenses basically just for extremely wealthy people who have too much money, or maybe a small sliver of upper-echelon professional photographers who make tons of money from their photography?

Seriously, who is the target market for these lenses? A normal person would not have a need for this, and it doesn't seem like spending this much on a lens would make good business sense for most professionals.

I refer you to this excellent post earlier in the thread. Who did they make the EF 85 1.2 II for back in 2006, considering it was the same relative cost then?

the 85 1.2 version 2 was launched at 2199$ in 2006 which, adjusted for inflation, means 2797$
just saying..

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Must be why you see so many people with EF 85mm 1.2 II lenses then... Oh wait. :ROFLMAO:
I’ve seen many professional portrait and wedding photographers with an 85/1.2. Had one myself, swapped it for the f/1.4 IS version (although cost was not a factor in that decision).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Hey! Some info on the DS version versus the standard RF 85 f1.2 L here: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...RF-85mm-F12-L-USM-vs-the-RF-86mm-F12-L-USM-DS

Edit: Of most interest to me was the reported light loss from the DS version, of 1,5 stops when shooting wide open. Interesting image samples to.

And the DS version won’t be announced until 2 half of 2019...

That was really ueful, thanks fo sharing! The DS effect looks lush. Given how much light f/1.2 lets in, I wouldn't be too bothered about the loss of transmission, but others may disagree.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, it went up a bit in price here also now, 3605 USD... maybe a used one in 5 years for me then :p
I noticed a price increase in some online retailers, and my weak character made me hurry to place an order at a store that hadn’t yet increased the price. :rolleyes: I would have bought it sooner or later anyway, so why wait...?

Upvote 0