Canon Patent: Hybrid Speedlite with active cooling

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I feel comfortable with GODOX flashes, inexhaustible battery
The only complaint I have about Godox (Flashpoint) is that they are not weather sealed. My little Flashpoint speedlight feels cheap compaired to the Canon's I owned, but it is a far different story with the AD200s and the 600 pro.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
So you do use a six-way battery charger. As you said, whatever works for you.
No, I don't use one. The photo is from Adorama. Just showing that one would not need a six way. I have two chargers for my two AD200's which came with the lights, 1 speedlight with a lion battery and charger that also came with it, and the battery and charge setup for the Xplor 600 Pro (Just a cord that plugs into the battery and into the wall. None of these needs to be charged after each shoot. I probably charge every 4 or 5 shoots since a shoot for me only goes between 50-150 shots. I almost never use more than two lights at once. The speedlight is only ever used indoors or at night. I never have to charge all the batteries, but if I did my place has more than one outlet. No splitter needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Which then makes it even longer to change out a set during the "heat of battle". Single rechargeable batteries are much easier to deal with, much quicker to change on the fly, simpler to recharge, etc.
No doubt about it. If you begin battle with freshly charged AA batteries (with or without an external pack) and they won't make it till the end, then you need Li-Ion battery packs. My solution is for more subdued use by folks who don't want to invest in proprietary packs.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
No, I don't use one. The photo is from Adorama. Just showing that one would not need a six way.

I would call this a six way charger.

I have two chargers for my two AD200's which came with the lights, 1 speedlight with a lion battery and charger that also came with it, and the battery and charge setup for the Xplor 600 Pro

And having multiple chargers is somehow better? Standardization is considered good for a good reason.

I never have to charge all the batteries, but if I did my place has more than one outlet. No splitter needed.

The only reason I would use more than one outlet is if it saved time on charging, but to each his own.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I would call this a six way charger.

And having multiple chargers is somehow better? Standardization is considered good for a good reason.

The only reason I would use more than one outlet is if it saved time on charging, but to each his own.
Antonio, do you really want to put so fine a point on it? Go back and look at your post. You first mentioned a six outlet that is plugged into a two outlet. Then you mentioned a 6 way charger. My gosh, man. BTW: It isn't inconvenient for me. I don't know why you want to belabor this. I've already said that I know what I like for me. You know what you like for you. Go have a beer, dude.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Its Antono, without an i. You may quit whenever convenient for you.

I know what I wrote.

Beer, like tobacco, is an acquired taste, which is why I prefer rum, cognac, and whiskey.
You win. I submit. It would be more convenient to mount 6 speed lights onto 2 triple threats inside a 72" umbrella, than it is to just use a single 600ws mono light. Don't know what I was thinking. Charging is a real biotch too.... what with plugging it in. Very time consuming. Thanks! Have a great day, Antono.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
LEDs for continuous video lighting gets very hot. Cluster of many small LED chips doesn't get that hot , but not powerful. So Canon might use high watt big LED chip which gets pretty hot. When I experimented, 12v 10W chip gets very very hot even when lighted for a minute, but very bright.
New LEDs are much more efficient, leading to much less heat. Advances made over the past few years, have made a big difference. As an everyday product, for example, new LED bulbs no longer have big heat sinks. We’re getting 80 lumens per watt for even cheap product, and up to 120 lumens per watt for more expensive ones. As a reference, the best screw-in fluorescent bulbs are, at most 70 lumbers per watt, and as low as 40.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I got 2 A1X. I doubt I will ever use another flash again. This is coming from a guy that bought 6 600rts. The amount of power and conveniece from the rechargable battery, LED, power output, easy of gelling, and magnet mod support makes it incredible. the only thing Canon has over any flash I have used is the AF assist beam is great but i hear they dont even work with mirrorless cameras.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I have four Canon speedlights, and three godox lights. Both have pro's and con's.

I appreciate the fact that Canon sort of invented the built-in radio in a flash; I believe they were the first to do it. Also, the reliability and build quality is excellent. Mine have taken many beatings, but still work. Usually I'm fine with AA batteries (eneloops).

For jobs that involve modifiers, I usually go the AD 200 route. Great flashes, and the batteries are excellent. I also have a V1 which is basically a rip off of the A1. It's a very nice flash, but when firing half or full power, it really slows down. Also, the build quality is nearly not as good as on the AD200 or Canon flashes. Feels cheaper and more fragile.

If I had to start all new, I'd probably get a Godox flash with the li-ion battery. As of now, say I'd break or lose any of the Canon's, I'd probably just get a second hand or refurbished 600 EX.

Upvote 0