Canon posts first quarter of 2020 financial results

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
They are still turning a profit and have plenty of cash on hand. They are in good shape even with lower sales and reduction in overall profit.
Markets and sales took a dive abruptly around mid of March. The current quarter results will be known in July. The numbers wont' be pretty.

p.s. Nikon and Olympus are postponing the announcement of their financial results. Meaning the figures are so bad that they are concerned of broader markets implications and consequences should they decided to announce.. It occurs to me, they will either skip 1Q 2020 reporting all together or will come up with some sort of massaged statistically figures i.e. Jan 2020 YoY or rolling average across a number years to smooth the spikes out by excluding the Late Feb - end of March figures. However, 2Q 2020 will be a real shocker. Nothing like we seen before.
Many larger multinationals (Enterprise Market) now offering a deferred interest free post paid contractual payment options to go along with product and professional services sales. Meaning that revenue will be recognised with a 90-days delay (at least). However the cost of the contract will be recognised at the time of signing.. so, a negative revenue at signing and it ill stay negative for the entire quarter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^ Nikon and Olympus cant 'skip 1Q 2020 reporting all together ' since the first quarter of the calendar year (January - March) is the last of their fiscal year: like most Japanese companies (Canon being an exception to the rule) their fiscal year goes from the 1st of April until the 31st of March.

What Nikon and Olympus will report on by the end of May is the financials of their whole FY2020 (April 2019 - March 2020). They can't skip that for obvious reasons. :) Olympus were also supposed to reveal and explain their new strategic plan, including a clear roadmap for their imaging business. I guess this will have to wait. (or won"t it?)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
What Nikon and Olympus will report on by the end of May is the financials of their whole FY2020 (April 2019 - March 2020).
Yup, that’s what I suspect as well. However the point I was trying to make is that I see a (Distinctive) possibility of Nikon and Olympus reporting FY2020 results but not their January-March 2020 quarter result.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Yup, that’s what I suspect as well. However the point I was trying to make is that I see a (Distinctive) possibility of Nikon and Olympus reporting FY2020 results but not their January-March 2020 quarter result.

If you have the year end numbers and the 3Q numbers, the 4Q numbers will only take a few minutes to determine the actual decline

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If you have the year end numbers and the 3Q numbers, the 4Q numbers will only take a few minutes to determine the actual decline
that would be a key assumption though.. A trickery, I know.. however postponing the announcement of their financial results till end of May due to accountants are working from home and unable to complete the reporting in April is a pure nonsense ;)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
...we will expand sales of camera bodies and stimulate demand for full-frame mirrorless cameras

The gauntlet has been thrown; may the R5 be priced at $2999 to prime the pump and restore Canon’s profitabilit.
Ah, someone else mentioned $2999 for the R5? Good to hear. I've been guessing for a while that it'll be $2999 to $3499. I know that would surprise/shock most that post here if it came out that way, but I sure do hope it turns out to be true. If there's one thing Canon needs right now, it's a happy rush of buyers clamoring to buy their bodies and lots of their stunning lenses. $Ca-ching$!!!

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Ah, someone else mentioned $2999 for the R5? Good to hear. I've been guessing for a while that it'll be $2999 to $3499. I know that would surprise/shock most that post here if it came out that way, but I sure do hope it turns out to be true. If there's one thing Canon needs right now, it's a happy rush of buyers clamoring to buy their bodies and lots of their stunning lenses. $Ca-ching$!!!

That is the range I am expecting. Given the current economic conditions, I would hope that it would be at the lower end.

The associated question then will be how much with the RF 24-105L kit lens?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
That is the range I am expecting. Given the current economic conditions, I would hope that it would be at the lower end.

The associated question then will be how much with the RF 24-105L kit lens?
The RF 24-105L seems to be getting some very good reviews. At $1100 currently it is probably a very good lens to pair with the upcoming R5. Hopefully if they have a kit option with the R5 the price will be less so as to be worth the kit, and probably a very good choice to get.

Upvote 0