Canon posts RF lens control ring modification information

That is a great idea! Maybe that will happen on the II versions. [...]
They already did it, on the G7X II, 3 YEARS AGO!! And yet they still forget that they did. It was the first thing I said when I read it in the announcement; 'why do they make it click-only when they already to a switch that makes click and smooth available in 1 ring??'.

IMHO this should be a free fix instead of a service for extra charge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
They already did it, on the G7X II, 3 YEARS AGO!! And yet they still forget that they did. It was the first thing I said when I read it in the announcement; 'why do they make it click-only when they already to a switch that makes click and smooth available in 1 ring??'.

IMHO this should be a free fix instead of a service for extra charge.
Maybe so, but it isn't a fix... it is a modification to a lens that already exists. I think the price for the modification is fair: $79. Better, though, if there were a switch or clutch in future lenses so that one can switch between "clicked" and "declicked". Maybe there will be. It would be real nice. Of course, everybody thinks what they want should be free, but it isn't free to Canon. Labor costs, and it isn't just the labor of the guy sitting at the bench doing the mod. The ring on the G7X series isn't available off the shelf to RF lenses, as you seem to suggest it should be. It would have to be a completely different design. It would probably have to be some kind of clutch design like the ring on the Olympus lenses because of where it is located. A ring located on the body would be cumbersome due to the shape of the lenses and the room available.

This company will declick for $50, but it would probably void the warranty. Then again, can they do RF lenses? Don't know.
https://www.ducloslenses.com/pages/cine-mod

Of course we could say that if we are paying over $2k for a lens it should already come that way. Then again, were I a video guy paying more than $2k for a lens, I don't think I'd get spun up about paying $79 to mod it into the specialty lens I want. The price of 10 lattes from Starbucks or a night out with my honey. ;) A switch or clutch installed in factory would cost more than $79, I think. Then there would be stills shooters complaining about having to pay for a feature they'd never use. Canon can't win. Canon could also create a new SKU for the specialty lens. That would also cost more.

Don't know why you say Canon "forgot". No they didn't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0