Canon PowerShot G1 X Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cornell said:
I'm not talking about a superzoom; for example the G9 zoomed to the equivalent of 210 mm and it wasn't a superzoom.

5x and greater is what I've always seen considered a superzoom. The G9 is 6x, so a superzoom. Granted, not nearly as silly as the PowerShot SX30 (35x?), but still a superzoom.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Let us be fair to Canon. A lot of people complained about the GX1 lens is not fast enough, not long enough, the body is too big, no full manual control in video etc. Lets us face it, Canon has quadral the size of the sensor from G12 and just bump up the size here and there by a faction of an inch for the body, keep the lens to be f 2.8 at wide end with a 4X zoom range. That is quite an accomplishment in my book. My only corncern (may be complain) is the pricing. $800 is a little bit steep. May be it may drop to $600 street price, after the dust is settled. Just hope the AF is fast enough to beat the LX5 with a better face detection.

Upvote 0
elflord said:
The lens needs to be "slow" because of the big sensor. The maximum aperture is around 10mm -- that is about the same as the 18-55mm rebel kit lens, or the 20mm f/1.7 pancake prime that is popular on micro 4/3. So for those who are used to fast lenses on an SLR, nothing to write home about, but Canon are probably trying to pick off the crowd who would otherwise buy a big sensor camera with the kit lens and never change lenses.

My guess is that this is actually the silent majority of mirrorless users given that lens sales lag well behind camera sales on places like Amazon. When you make that comparison the lens on this camera has a longer zoom range and a superior appature at the wide end.

Compaired to the X10 its going to offer superior DOF control and you would think superior ISO petformance aswell.

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
I think this camera will fail, the fuji X10 lens is a full stop faster at the wide end and 2 full stops faster at the long end! not to mention its smaller, and the fuji looks retro :p

I will try to use the explanations of Neuro on the comparison between the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 and the EF 24-105mm f/4:

neuroanatomist said:
Goincarcrazy said:
The EF-S lens that has had some full frame users jealous for a while.

Not the educated ones, who would know that the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS on a crop body is out-spec'd by the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS used on FF, since the FF-equivalent of 17-55mm f/2.8 is 27-88mm f/4.5 (becuase the crop factor affects aperture in terms of DoF for equivalent framing), and the 1-stop effect on shutter speed is more than compensated for bu the 1.33-stop improvement in ISO noise with the additional light gathering ability of a FF sensor). So, the 24-105 on FF is wider, longer, and faster than the 17-55mm on crop, still has IS, and is weather-sealed with L-quality build to match.

The sensor sizes of the G1 X and the Fuji X10 are respectively 1.5" and 2/3", so the sensor of the G1 X is 2.25*2.25 larger than the X10's. The two cameras have the same FF-equivalent focal range. However, the maximum aperture range of the X10 is f/2.0-2.8. If we apply the crop factor of 2.25 to convert this to the equivalent aperture range of the 1.5" sensor, we obtain f/4.5-6.3. So the G1 X's lens on its 1.5" sensor is better than the X10's lens on its 2/3" sensor.

Upvote 0
I will not buy the G1 X. However, I am really interested in the mirrorless or rangefinder system. Wide-angles lenses on these systems are usually smaller and have less distortion than their SRL counterpart. The ideal set for me would be a rangefinder with wide-angles lenses and a DSLR for the rest. However, I do not know any real alternative to the Leica and I do not have the budget for that :-\

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
briansquibb said:
Street price is NEVER the same as recommended.$600 sounds about right.

A quick look back at the launch price of previous G's and most new Canons for that matter, has always been high. Once the initial demand starts to soften, prices will ease off pretty rapidly.

G12's have been around $400 for a while now, though I doubt the G1X will hit this for some time.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
T

takeapic

A very interesting comparison from digitaltrends.com

chart-625x441.png

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
Flake said:
HOW MUCH !!!!!!!!

Yet again Canon replace a model with something costing nearly twice as much! This seems to be a deliberate marketing policy what next a 5D MkIII costing £3000 / $5000?

let's not overexaggerate things here. 60% more is not "twice as much". and it's not a direct replacement, it's got nearly an APS-C sized sensor crammed into. versus a 1/1.6" compact-sized sensor. you're telling me you don't think that change in sensor size justifies an additional $300? I don't think canon's priced it too high based on the technology inside. whether or not it's too rich for the individual ... I agree that $800 is a lot of money.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
stu_cj said:
:eek: £699 in the uk pre-order. By my calculations that's around $1080. - Think I'll stick with my trusty G9 for a while yet.

equipment prices don't translate based on exchange rates, because the more critical part of the price are tariffs and distribution costs. canon has announced that the price of the G1X will be about $800 US.

Upvote 0
N

NotABunny

kapanak said:
1.5-inch (18.7 x 14mm) sensor

That's a 23.4 mm diagonal, so it's not even 1 inch. It's basically in the middle of what the leak said and what's been speculated.

Okay, I see that Wikipedia says that x" have nothing to do with real inches. In fact, with a real size of 1", the marketing departments actually call this 1.5". :eek:

Bottom line, Canon did not fit a 38.1 mm (1.5 real inches) sensor in a G-sized body.

Upvote 0
NotABunny said:
kapanak said:
1.5-inch (18.7 x 14mm) sensor

That's a 23.4 mm diagonal, so it's not even 1 inch. It's basically in the middle of what the leak said and what's been speculated.

Okay, I see that Wikipedia says that x" have nothing to do with real inches. In fact, with a real size of 1", the marketing departments actually call this 1.5". :eek:

Bottom line, Canon did not fit a 38.1 mm (1.5 real inches) sensor in a G-sized body.

There's a lot of confusion in this thread about sensor terminology. 1.5" is NOT 1.5 inches in the standard unit length (25mm) that we're familiar with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format#Compact_digital_camera_formats

The whole thing is quite confusing, it would be nice if everyone would use crop factor or just publish the sensor dimensions instead.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
elflord said:
The whole thing is quite confusing, it would be nice if everyone would use crop factor or just publish the sensor dimensions instead.
I wholeheartedly agree. The present designation is much too confusing to the serious photographer who wishes to make a comparison, let alone the average consumer. It's high time for camera maunfacturers to state in clear, unambiguous language the size of their sensor, whether it's in dimensions, both width AND height (in mm) or, better yet , expressed as area [i.e., mm2 (squared)].

Upvote 0
K

kapanak

jhpeterson said:
elflord said:
I wholeheartedly agree. The present designation is much too confusing to the serious photographer who wishes to make a comparison, let alone the average consumer. It's high time for camera maunfacturers to state in clear, unambiguous language the size of their sensor, whether it's in dimensions, both width AND height (in mm) or, better yet , expressed as area [i.e., mm2 (squared)].

Who says they do not? All manufacturers of cameras specifically state their sensor size dimensions in millimeters.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
kapanak said:
Who says they do not? All manufacturers of cameras specifically state their sensor size dimensions in millimeters.
If so, where?
Yes, the DSLRs, whether full-frame, APS-C or some other size, nearly always state it in their specs, but I've looked pretty hard to find this for point-and-shoots, and have come up empty. I think I'm not the only one who can't find it, as I seem to recall a column by the NYTimes' David Pogue on this very subject.
Say manufacturers, isn't it time for full disclosure?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.