Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III Camera & Accessory USD Pricing

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
neuroanatomist said:
Sporgon said:
OK the pricing is steep, and early adopters will literally pay the price, but if this camera has a really stellar, relatively fast zoom lens that is more in the L zoom quality, ( if an a EFs L zoom existed) then this is a compact camera that really has huge scope without any quality compromises.

For a 24-70mm (FF FoV equivalent) lens, is f/2.8-5.6 (likely with a relatively fast progression to the narrowest aperture) 'relatively fast'?

No. But at that price point I’m hoping that Canon will surprise us with something special in the lens department, contrary to the rumours. But remember I have a 100% track record in being wrong

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Photorex said:
Maybe Canon just sounds out for the price in advance.
And when they release it they will surprise us with a lower pricetag.
Everyone then will be in a good mood to by for this lower price as it looks like a bargain compared to the first rumored price. ;D

Canon does not do that. They are very secretive. By the time pricing info is leaked, its firm.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
scrup said:
Canon figured out the number of people that would buy this camera. To get the ROI, they need to sell it at this price.

Sell 10 @ 1300 each or 15 at 866 each.

revenue not equal ROI. Unfortunately ... ;D

Assuming cost per unit is not much different whether production run is 10 or 15 units, then the 2 examples yield the same revenue but definitely not the same margin, profit and ROI. ;-)

Upvote 0
Canon will probably short change the camera on tech common in most other brands, such as 4K video. Canon market segmentation in recent years has reduced their cameras' values relative to the competition. At $1300, I would hope Canon doesn't hold back tech because they are protecting their own higher end products. The new G1X III needs to come with all the bells and whistles to justify the price. I'm a long time Canon user and still have the venerable 5DII in my stable. But I could not justify $1300 for a point and shoot, even with an APS-C sensor, unless it included some groundbreaking technology.

Upvote 0
Canon is becoming delusional. They priced the new 6Dmk2 at 2k and are having a hard time unloading them at that price because technologically the 6Dmk 2 lags Nikon D750 which is 4 years old. The new Nikon 850 comes in at the same price point as the Canon 7D4 and it literally blows it out of the water. What is Canon thinking? For years they led the DSLR market now they are second best but still price their products like they are market leaders. Now they are asking 1,300 for a Power Shot camera with a cropped sensor. Expect steep price cuts in both the 6D and the new power shot by Christmas time.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
john kriegsmann said:
Canon is becoming delusional. They priced the new 6Dmk2 at 2k and are having a hard time unloading them at that price because technologically the 6Dmk 2 lags Nikon D750 which is 4 years old. The new Nikon 850 comes in at the same price point as the Canon 7D4 and it literally blows it out of the water. What is Canon thinking? For years they led the DSLR market now they are second best but still price their products like they are market leaders. Now they are asking 1,300 for a Power Shot camera with a cropped sensor. Expect steep price cuts in both the 6D and the new power shot by Christmas time.

Wow. People are still trying to figure out what to expect from the 7D3, and you're saying the 7D4 sucks already. Fascinating...

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I'm still hoping something was lost in translation regarding this price. $1299 seems really out whack for how competitive Canon's pricing has been on other recent major releases (in comparison to what most people around seemed to expect vs. reality). I dunno, maybe this thing is more than what we have been fed so far. Time will tell but I'm hoping all this is wrong (No Offense CR) lol

Upvote 0
Nokishita Camera have published a first set of specifications:

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/918692058780524550

- APS-C CMOS sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- Dual pixel CMOS AF
- Number of effective pixels: 24.2 millions (Total number of pixels: 25.8 millions)
- Lens: equivalent 24-72 mm f/2.8-5.6
- Video engine: DIGIC 7
- Video: Full HD 60p
- Continuous drive: Approximately 9 fps, about 7 fps with servo AF
- ISO: 100-25,600
- Minimum shooting distance (from the lens tip): 10 cm (W), 30 cm (T)
- EVF: 0.39 inch 2.36 million dots
- LCD screen: 3.0 inch 1.04 million dots vari-angle touch screen
- Built-in Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC
- Battery: NB-13L
- Battery life: 200 pictures, 250 pictures in eco mode
- Storage types: SD / SDHC / SDXC
- Dimensions: 115.0 x 77.9 x 51.4 mm
- Weight: 375 g (body only), 399 g (including battery and SD card).

Upvote 0
Mistral75 said:

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/918692058780524550

- APS-C CMOS sensor (22.3 x 14.9 mm)
- Dual pixel CMOS AF
- Number of effective pixels: 24.2 millions (Total number of pixels: 25.8 millions)
- Lens: equivalent 24-72 mm f/2.8-5.6
- Video engine: DIGIC 7
- Video: Full HD 60p
- Continuous drive: Approximately 9 fps, about 7 fps with servo AF
- ISO: 100-25,600
- Minimum shooting distance (from the lens tip): 10 cm (W), 30 cm (T)
- EVF: 0.39 inch 2.36 million dots
- LCD screen: 3.0 inch 1.04 million dots vari-angle touch screen
- Built-in Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC
- Battery: NB-13L
- Battery life: 200 pictures, 250 pictures in eco mode
- Storage types: SD / SDHC / SDXC

That is pretty wild!
- NB-13L means the camera will be able to recharge through USB connection with my power bank.
- Most 3 inch screens have the Variangle touch screen instead of the Tilt on the M5.
- Dimensions mean the Mark III will have a smaller lens than the current Mark II and be more compact than the M5
- A wide angle APS-C lens 15-16mm @F2 is just what everybody wanted. Like the Fuji X-T1 with 14mm F2.8, 16mm F1.4 and 18mm F2. This camera just gives you that + IS.

I still don't get it why every body is complaining about the price. Yes it will be 1,2K$, But Fuji 14mm F2.8, 16mm, 18mm And Sony touit 12mm pushes all the alternatives in the 1000+ $ range as well.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
Mistral75 said:

The key fact is the size. They went for a much reduced size. That explains it. It is 150 grams lighter than the mark II Apparently they count that to compete with mirrorless one has to be small. Also the depth is 15 mm less. It is closer in size to the old G series: 50 grams and 11 mm more than G15. If you compare to M5 with the kit lens this is 160 grams lighter and 45 mm less deep. It is smaller than any EOS M with any lens.

Still the price of over a thousand seems excessive. Maybe they just try to get most in the beginning. This is to my knowledge the first compact with APS-C and zoom. Still is it better than G5 X? Though it is not much bigger either. Maybe for some the APS-C is good a reason to buy.

399 g. Apparently they had a target in the weight.

Upvote 0
okaro said:
(...)
This is to my knowledge the first compact with APS-C and zoom. (...)

Leica X Vario was announced in June 2013. Its sensor is bigger than that of the PowerShot (APS-C with x1.5 crop factor vs x1.6) and its lens is a 18-46mm (equ. 28-70mm) f/3,5-6,4.

The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III will be announced on Monday 16 October in Japan:

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/918738200020918272

Upvote 0