Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III on the Way

Jun 20, 2013
Zod said:
rrcphoto said:
probably be no different than the G1X Mark II - which was an external EVF.

Seeing the competitors of recent years, I think this time Canon will abandon the usual primitive viewfinder or an external one, at the expense of raising price and size (it won't be a real compact anyway).
We'll see...

I doubt it, they haven't really changed much with the G(3,7,9)x line in that regard. Still waiting on the 3 to be updated even.

the G1X II never had a viewfinder built in. there really isn't room for one, by the time you put a flash and hotshoe in there without dramatically increasing the size. then what's the point? may as well get an M then.

it's also pretty compact, almost the same size as an M10 and 22mm 2.0.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Zod said:
Sporgon said:
I find there is a huge difference between the "1 inch" sensor and the G1x, which is virtually a 7x5 format of the aps -c. Somewhere in between the two sensor sizes is the tipping point between "small" sensors and large.

The 1" Sony advanced sensor performs nearly as well as the 1.5" Canon sensor :-\

You've been reading DPReview and DXO mark old Mate !

When you say the one inch performs nearly as well, is that coming from personal experience ? I can assure you that they are worlds apart in reality.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
I doubt it, they haven't really changed much with the G(3,7,9)x line in that regard. Still waiting on the 3 to be updated even.

But they offer the G5X at least :)

rrcphoto said:
the G1X II never had a viewfinder built in. there really isn't room for one, by the time you put a flash and hotshoe in there without dramatically increasing the size. then what's the point? may as well get an M then.

I think many people still prefer to have an integrated viewfinder at the expense of the size (not me).
With an M you will never have that type of lens (considering the specifications published a year ago).

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
You've been reading DPReview and DXO mark old Mate !

When you say the one inch performs nearly as well, is that coming from personal experience ? I can assure you that they are worlds apart in reality.

I've said "nearly". If I had just looked at dxomark I would have written that the Sony 1-inch sensor is far superior, but I did not.

Upvote 0