Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

electricpanic

I have got discount "Free Extra Battery with Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera Plus Free Shipping"
Don't know if it's a good deal or not.

Don't know if it will work for anyone else.

Here is the links of website if someone wants to visit:

http://www.ezcouponsearch.com/Best-Buy-Coupons_cm_3065.aspx

Help me in finding the best deal for Canon Camera. Thanks in advance for helping.

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Doesnt even matter. the free battery is a non issue, i have a 12 dollar replacement battery that works great. Also picked up a small vidpro hard-ish case with it (all from jr music world)

what a great little camera. shooting with it is more reliable than my crap AF 7d. i literally carry it every day. GREAT purchase!!!!!!

Upvote 0
G

Gman

5th of September.

Tomorrow will be the 6th of September and Photokina will be 11 days away, so who in their right mind would buy a G12 today regardless of price if a new model might be announced any day? :-\

Especially when there are now stiff competitors to the G12, in the first instance the Nikon P7700 which is almost a clone of the G12 but with better sensor and much better lens. Or the Sony RX100 which although it has a larger sensor (and price tag) has a poorer zoom but nevertheless gets rave reviews (apparently). What about the Panasonic Lumix LX7 which has a great Zeiss lens but even though it has a new sensor has gone the opposite way of many others as it seems slightly smaller, can they really get better IQ out of a smaller sensor with less pixels?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It is certainly worth waiting to see what is announced in the next week. I don't expect more than the usual minor upgrades that will raise the price by 20%, so buying a G12 on sale is not a bad idea. If smething earthshaking comes out, I'd consider replacing my G11, but I'm pretty skeptical. The P7700 only goes to ISO 1600, and I use my G11 at ISO 3200 with usable results, so I'm wondering why it is claimed as a better sensor.
I hope Nikon's new P7700 is a good camera, Nikon has not produced any spectaular point and shoot cameras since about 2000 when I bought my CP990. I still have it, and it still performs. Its the lens that makes a difference, it was made in Japan by Nikon, not in China.

Upvote 0
G

Gman

I get your point about buying a G12 on sale especially if the improvement is only incremental but I wonder what is meant by the latest comment.

More PowerShot announcements are expected, a G12 replacement I’m told is likely, as well as a new fast lens PowerShot.

What is meant by 'Im told is likely' a guess, an unsubstantiated rumour not even a CR0?

I had not noticed the difference in the ISO differences between the G11 and the new P7700 and anyway I wonder how you can say that you used the G11 at such a high ISO as when I used it at high ISO for a night shot I found the resulting image almost unusable because of the high noise level even using noise ninja I was unable to produce a satisfactory image at that level.

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2012
G12 is still a great bit of kit, at any price.

IMG_1843.jpg

Upvote 0
S

sproggit

Respectfully, I think a master with a G12 will likely out-perform an amateur with an EOS 1DX, though I don't dispute my G12 is a lovely camera. The G1X is just too bulky to be truly pocketable, and if you are willing to go to G1X size there are better alternatives, such as Panasonic's DMC-GX1 with a decent lens...

One often-overlooked area for the G12 to shine is underwater. In my Canon-branded housing it's good down to 35-40 metres and produces stunning images (especially macro) of rigs 3, 4 and 5 times the price:

http://www.yteneweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/W1920LionFish003.jpg

Http://www.yteneweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/W1920Nudibranch001.jpg

http://www.yteneweb.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/W1920Nudibranch002.jpg

Two of the above are shots of nudibranch - sea slugs - and those colourful subjects are each less than 1 inch in length... Yet, having praised them, Canon continue to do idiotic things with the design of their accessories... The waterproof housing has a detachable diffuser for the flash and the case covers the flash bulb close to the housing. As a result the housing section that covers the lens barrel typically causes a shadows in the lower right corners of many shots. As a regular user, you have to learn to compose and crop, where other camera providers have better designed cases...

If only Canon would be willing to give the G12 accessories the same level of design thought as the base camera, we would have something quite unbeatable... You should see the quality of video footage, taken underwater, with a G12...
Though even there I would have to admit I would upgrade if the next generation had a silent, always-active auto-focus when in video mode...

Oh, and if they wanted to do something with the shutter lag... Well, that would be perfect!

;o)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Gman said:
I get your point about buying a G12 on sale especially if the improvement is only incremental but I wonder what is meant by the latest comment.

More PowerShot announcements are expected, a G12 replacement I’m told is likely, as well as a new fast lens PowerShot.

What is meant by 'Im told is likely' a guess, an unsubstantiated rumour not even a CR0?

I had not noticed the difference in the ISO differences between the G11 and the new P7700 and anyway I wonder how you can say that you used the G11 at such a high ISO as when I used it at high ISO for a night shot I found the resulting image almost unusable because of the high noise level even using noise ninja I was unable to produce a satisfactory image at that level.
Actually, it is my wifes camera, and she used it at ISO 3200 at a theatre rehearsal in very low light. She doesn't know anything about ISO settings, someone set it to 3200 for her. Truthfully, I was suprised that she got anything at all. Then, I also tried it at 3200 the next night, and it was far better than I expected, even though far from wonderful. It works fine as a small print. The drawback to theatre use is the slow shutter speed, so you do get motion blur.

My point is that, if the P7700 has a far better sensor, why is it limited to 1600? Small CMOS sensors may not perform as well as CCD, even though they are backlit and use less power.

At any rate, here is one of the ones she took.

G11, ISO 3200, f/4.5

untitled-1455-L.jpg

Here is one I took at the next night's rehearsal also at ISO 3200, but with my 5D MK II and 35mmL at f/1.6 and a much faster shutter speed.
untitled-5746-L.jpg

Upvote 0
Monday 10th September one week to Photokina.

Thanks Mt Spokane, I think I am convinced.
If Canon pull the same trick as they did with the EOS M announced now available October, with the updated G12+ or G13 or 14 or whatever they call it, then I'll get a discounted G12. At least all the controls will be familiar and I really dont need a super duper FF dslr or even a mirrorless for my 'umble pruposes. After all, how much better will the new Gnn be if as rumoured the sensor size will be the same? Will I notice the difference?

PS
Will I notice much difference between the G11 and the G12 anyway, all that worries me is low light performance for night shots around Kyoto next month?

Upvote 0
11th
Hmm, I am beginning to wonder about a G12+/ G12a/ G12x/ G13 /G14 announcement, even Apple with tight security get stuff leaked about new models of iPhone, iPads etc and here we are almost at Photokina and neery a word apart from a vague mention that the sensor might be the same size!

Either Canon have something great up their sleeves that they want to keep under wraps until the very last moment that's going to knock our socks off or there really is going to be nothing to talk about just some minor tweaks.

Upvote 0
Gman said:
You make me wonder whether I need to change my G11 at all. Especially after Canon serviced it and checked focussing and replaced the faulty back. Maybe I just need to be more careful how I use scenes ie not at night and with macros to remember that autofocus seems to refuse to work on telefoto only on wide angle.

I hope it's because of my pictures. :) Kidding aside, G11 is a great camera. Small enough to bring anywhere but good enough to take great photos. Oh and I love the swivel screen. I came to appreciate it better when I'm doing these macros. I know there are better cameras out there, but I can't see any reason to upgrade especially that I have my 500D as my main camera for all those times G11 is inadequate. As for 500D, yes it's quite old also but I don't really mind. Of course, if somebody gives me a 5D2 or 5D3 for my 500D, I'll switch in an instant. :) I'll say, cameras are just tools. It's still us photographers that takes great pictures.

Upvote 0
latest rumour found here on 'New camera' :
http://thenewcamera.com/?cat=233
G13 coming soon, new sensor, new processor and fast ƒ1.8 lens.

VerysimpleJason
Thanks for the images, I think your reasoning is right, I have my Oly E410 with a Zuiko lens where I need high quality and no problems carrying a heavy lens, the body of the E410 is light. So the G11 should suit all my travel needs. (Unless of course the new G13 is just too good to be resisted :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.