Canon PowerShot G15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2010
5x zoom lens with an aperture range of f/1.8-2.8? Looks good.

But this release is kind of late to the already crowded market, isn't it? We now have Panasonic LX7 with a f/1.4-2.3 4x zoom, Olympus XZ-1 with a f/1.8-2.5 4x zoom and Fujifilm X10 with a f/2-2.8 4x zoom. Then, there's also the Sony RX100 with its slow lens but big sensor.

Ultimately, in real use, I suspect all the above cameras will have rather similar image quality (the big sensor advantage of the RX100 is offset by its slow lens). And Canon will be the overall loser 'cos they still suffer from slow contrast AF algorithm. Sigh...

Upvote 0
Woody said:

But this release is kind of late to the already crowded market, isn't it? We now have Panasonic LX7 with a f/1.4-2.3 4x zoom, Olympus XZ-1 with a f/1.8-2.5 4x zoom and Fujifilm X10 with a f/2-2.8 4x zoom. Then, there's also the Sony RX100 with its slow lens but big sensor.

Ultimately, in real use, I suspect all the above cameras will have rather similar image quality (the big sensor advantage of the RX100 is offset by its slow lens). And Canon will be the overall loser 'cos they still suffer from slow contrast AF algorithm. Sigh...

I guess that's why Canon's have the slowest FPS. :( but if they can do at least 5FPS, it's good enough for a P&S.

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
Aglet said:
Where's the dials?!?.. :eek:
I hope it didn't get the touchscreen treatment. ???

I like the touchscreen interface as an option, but agree that it's no substitute for good tactile controls.

Which this camera appears to have in spades:

- (obviously) a front control dial under your shooting finger
- (probably) a rear control dial under your thumb
- (hopefully) a programmable ring around the lens like the S series

Let's see what she looks like at ISO1600...

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
verysimplejason said:
Woody said:

I guess that's why Canon's have the slowest FPS. :( but if they can do at least 5FPS, it's good enough for a P&S.

P&S means "Point & Shoot", not "Point & Spray" ;D. However, it would be very nice if Canon made it as fast as the competition.
According to the picture - some dials are missing ... same old crappy OVF ... and the Vari-angle LCD is gone too :(. I'm not sure if I'd buy this one over G12 or G11. Faster lens is fine, but, for me, it never was a priority in G series (sharpness and other optical qualities are more important). I just hope that the RAW image format is still there.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
verysimplejason said:
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
... I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass.

I bought a 1D X so I could treat it like the tool that it is. ;)

Well, good for you. But still, extra care won't hurt. Love your tools and they will love you back.

I don't know much about inanimate object's love, but I treat my tools with care. Damaged (out of order) tools are pretty much useless to me. ;)

Upvote 0
ecka said:
verysimplejason said:
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
... I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass.

I bought a 1D X so I could treat it like the tool that it is. ;)

Well, good for you. But still, extra care won't hurt. Love your tools and they will love you back.

I don't know much about inanimate object's love, but I treat my tools with care. Damaged (out of order) tools are pretty much useless to me. ;)

That's my point. It's just a figure of speech. Thanks for explaining. :)

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
Looks like they are still using the smaller 1/1.7" sensor. Finally a faster lens, but looks like Canon is just now catching up to the competition, nothing really new or interesting. RX100 is still the edge with smaller size to fit in your pocket with a larger sensor.

yup. except the price will be in favor of G15, hopefully... :)

Upvote 0
Zlatko said:
It looks like the exposure compensation and ISO dials are gone. That's not good.
Why? My DSLR doesn't have those dials and I don't need them. Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.

Upvote 0

ecka

Size Matters!
Apr 5, 2011
Europe
www.flickr.com
BXL said:
Zlatko said:
It looks like the exposure compensation and ISO dials are gone. That's not good.
Why? My DSLR doesn't have those dials and I don't need them. Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.
Don't need dials? Want thinner body without vari-angle LCD for your pockets? Then wait for S100 successor, because canon G series are not what you want.

Upvote 0
ecka said:
Canon-F1 said:
so nikon guys get a D600 this week and we a G15...mhm.. i hope there is more coming :)

We get nothing :), just the picture. Nikon guys got their D600 picture a long time ago.

Yeah, but they also got a picture of a $2100 price tag, which has got them all of a tizzy. Seems many of them actually believed they were getting a new full frame for $1500.

Upvote 0
Z

Zlatko

BXL said:
Zlatko said:
Those dials were very nice to have. But you're right that we don't need them. It depends on how easy it is to make those same adjustments on this camera. Hopefully as easy as on a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Zlatko said:
BXL said:
... Anyway, I assume that the G15 will have a touch display (don't know if I like that) and it seems like the articulated screen is gone. Thus the body should be a bit thinner.

Why do you assume the articulated screen has gone, we have only seen one image so far, from the front and we dont know how accurate it is, we dont know how tightly extracted that image was from whatever original. I must admit though it does look kind of slimmer than a G12. If the screen has really gone then I will have to go too ... over to the Nikon P7700 I used my screen all the time, very useful, only rarely used a viewfinder.

As to the dials surely Canon wouldn't have made something worse than the G12, they must have come up with ways to make it easier to use? There's still the dial wheel on the front, now doubt programmable and hopefully the Fn buttons are still there but we wont know until we see official images front back top and sides.

Might be interesting to see this image and a similar angle G12 image to compare to see what's changed. If they have kept to a G12 chassis there's no reason why they would have ditched the articulated screen?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.