Canon PowerShot G15

Status
Not open for further replies.
jouster said:
ecka said:
Canon-F1 said:
so nikon guys get a D600 this week and we a G15...mhm.. i hope there is more coming :)

We get nothing :), just the picture. Nikon guys got their D600 picture a long time ago.

Yeah, but they also got a picture of a $2100 price tag, which has got them all of a tizzy. Seems many of them actually believed they were getting a new full frame for $1500.

Well, the price will simmer down to less than 2K after 6 months or 1 year. At least, all the features I've been looking for an entry FF is there. With 6D, I withhold my judgement till it we see it. I hope it's better.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ecka said:
verysimplejason said:
neuroanatomist said:
verysimplejason said:
... I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass.

I bought a 1D X so I could treat it like the tool that it is. ;)

Well, good for you. But still, extra care won't hurt. Love your tools and they will love you back.

I don't know much about inanimate object's love, but I treat my tools with care. Damaged (out of order) tools are pretty much useless to me. ;)

+1..... on keep the camera gear clean + shine. ;)

Upvote 0
H

husky65

verysimplejason said:
husky65 said:
I enjoyed the G12 while it lasted. Had it in a softcase, placed it on the seat of my motorcycle for a moment, bumped it with my arm and it fell to the ground (my fault) and the flip out screen never worked again. The seat height is 32 inches. The quote to fix it was almost half the price of a new one. Yikes. Let's hope the G15s are built a little tougher.

Maybe next time, you can secure a belt bag (wear it of course), leave it there when you're not using and wear the neck strap whenever you want to use it. For me, I treat my photography equipment like a fragile glass. Sure, it's a little bit awkward but at least I can still use it the next day. Anyway, I sure hope G15 will kick-ass. :)

I think if I had a think crystal wine glass in a padded camera case and it fell 32 inches, it would remain intact without breaking. :) Cameras are simply tools to me and I've beat them up all over the world for 30+ years. My 7D and 5D are built pretty tough...no problems there. As far as neck straps and belt bags...they don't work with my kind of motorcycle riding. Padded cases should do the trick. Hey, I love Canon stuff...bought my first AE1 back in 1976 and owned Canon products ever since...

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
Looks like they are still using the smaller 1/1.7" sensor. Finally a faster lens, but looks like Canon is just now catching up to the competition, nothing really new or interesting. RX100 is still the edge with smaller size to fit in your pocket with a larger sensor.

It does seem the obvious alternative to the G1X, faster lens rather than larger sensor.

To me the viewfinder block ontop looks a bit larger than previous models so perhaps its improved? that and the fast lens to me looks to be something a bit more interesting than the P7700 which is really just a pretty standard superzoom.

Upvote 0
:p
Oh gosh, just a day to go I am biting my nails in anticipation. Will it just be announced or will it be released? I see no stores even offering pre orders yet.

Just a point brought up elsewhere, has anyone else noticed that the new body (if a true representation) seems slimmer than the G12 and that the vari-angle screen hinge 'hump' has vanished, the focus lamp position has moved and there now seems to be a pop up flash apart from the missing exposure and ISO adjustment dials?

Hope it's not another EOS M fiasco, announced in July and not available for three months!
???

Upvote 0
Dave92F1 said:
If it has a flippy screen and better video than the G12, I'll happily pay $600 for it and replace my G11.

If no flippy screen, NO SALE. (The leaked photo doesn't look look promising.) I'll sooner buy a used G12 on eBay.

I for one have been eagerly anticipating the G15 and all the rumours have been just that, unsubstantiated rumours, we have had nothing concrete so far only speculation. Perhaps's, maybe's educated guesses but nothing concrete so there's no guarantee the 'leaked' image is accurate.

That the single image doesn't show any evidence of a swivel screen doesn't mean there's no swivel screen only that the previous swivel screen had an external hinge bump. If I hold my G11 at the same angle there's a distinct hinge bump whereas the image of the G15, if an accurate representation shows a smooth side. So there are three possibilites,
1) the G15 doesn't have a swivel screen anymore,
2) the image is an artist's impression of what the G15 might look like and not an accurate representation of what the camera will look like when announced (wont be the first time, look how many artists impressions there have been of iPhones over the years which bore little resemblance to the finished article),
3) that the G15 has been completely redesigned of which the repositioning of the viewfinder, pop up flash and loss of dials, bears witness and just maybe Canon have integrated the swivel screen better into the body. Apple did it on their MacBookAirs.

However if when announced tomorrow the swivel screen has gone, so will I have, to the other camp and Nikon P7700 will get my vote and my money despite not having a viewfinder.
If we are wrong in our observations and interpretations of a leaked image are wrong and the screen is still there the G15 will get my vote and my money. We have to wait and see wont we.

Upvote 0
One step forward, one step back:
They lost the flipping screen, it was so useful, waist level shots, ground level shots, over the head shots, macro from awkward angles.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-powershot-g15/

If it has a flippy screen and better video than the G12, I'll happily pay $600 for it and replace my G11.

It lost the flipping screen so it lost me, I'm off to buy a Nikon P7700 to replace my G11, tests or no tests I am sure I wont notice any appreciable difference in IQ as the sensors are the same size!

OK so the lens is not quite as bright but it has a longer zoom. I hardly used the OVF so that's no big deal. The G15 may have a faster lens but it's only nominal. I'd rather have had the minor extra thickness of the flippy screen than something 'pocketable'. Sorry Canon, you lost the plot. You had a brilliant camera and you just went and ruined one of it's selling points. That screen was really useful. A flat screen in bright sunlight is hopeless.

How could they ruin a camera that was so good and had such a following? What got into their heads? There were already enough pocketable cameras around we didn't need another one. they even had one themselves the S100 now the S110 so why another? If I really wanted a flat screen pocketable camera I'd have bought the Sony RX100!

Upvote 0
Gman said:
One step forward, one step back:
They lost the flipping screen, it was so useful, waist level shots, ground level shots, over the head shots, macro from awkward angles.

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-powershot-g15/

It lost the flipping screen so it lost me, I'm off to buy a Nikon P7700 to replace my G11, tests or no tests I am sure I wont notice any appreciable difference in IQ as the sensors are the same size!

OK so the lens is not quite as bright but it has a longer zoom. I hardly used the OVF so that's no big deal. The G15 may have a faster lens but it's only nominal. I'd rather have had the minor extra thickness of the flippy screen than something 'pocketable'. Sorry Canon, you lost the plot. You had a brilliant camera and you just went and ruined one of it's selling points. That screen was really useful. A flat screen in bright sunlight is hopeless.

How could they ruin a camera that was so good and had such a following? What got into their heads? There were already enough pocketable cameras around we didn't need another one. they even had one themselves the S100 now the S110 so why another? If I really wanted a flat screen pocketable camera I'd have bought the Sony RX100!

Hey Gman, I'm keeping my G11 for now. :) P7700 lost its OVF for the swivel screen. The extra aperture isn't that convincing for me unless proven otherwise through tests. Anyway, enjoy your new P7700. Please give us some feedback and maybe samples. Who knows, you might convince me but till then, I'll stick with G11. Best of luck!

Upvote 0
>verysimplejason

Don't worry I am not dumping my G11 just yet but I am not a happy bunny. Number one the P7700 is not available yet and number two as you quite rightly mention the lens is an unknown quantity anyhow the same goes for the ƒ1.8 lens on the G15. I just had notification the G15 will sell at 499$ in the US no doubt 499€ in Europe.

I am going to Japan on the 8th of October so there's no way I will be able to get my hands on a P7700 anyway so it looks like the G11 will go on it's third trip to Japan. Be very silly to buy a P7700 in haste.

Oh dear, Canon just shot themselves in the foot.

Upvote 0
D

Dave92F1

Re: G15 dissapointment

Count me disappointed, too.

No flippy screen - that rules it out entirely.

Not only that, but it's still missing the GPS and 200/400 fps video modes introduced in the S100!

And also no 1080p/60.

The f/2.8 lens on the G11/G12 is fast enough for me - I don't need a faster lens in a compact (I have a DSLR if I need that, but it doesn't fit in my everyday backpack.)

I'm not at all interested in the G15. I'm going to shop for a used G12 on eBay instead (to replace my G11).

Upvote 0
Re: G15 dissapointment

I was actually looking forward to the S110, but find it to be a major disappointment. On the contrary, the G15 is better than I expected and thank you Canon for finally return the G series to it roots....FAST LENS!

Dave92F1 said:
Count me disappointed, too.

No flippy screen - that rules it out entirely.

Not only that, but it's still missing the GPS and 200/400 fps video modes introduced in the S100!

And also no 1080p/60.

The f/2.8 lens on the G11/G12 is fast enough for me - I don't need a faster lens in a compact (I have a DSLR if I need that, but it doesn't fit in my everyday backpack.)

I'm not at all interested in the G15. I'm going to shop for a used G12 on eBay instead (to replace my G11).

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
There has been plenty of negativity towards the G15 in this thread, but reviews from other sources plus the spec list made me take a look at my first compact since my unloved G3 a million years ago.

Last week I bought a G15 for $399 and ran it through its paces and have to say the quality knocks my sock off, way exceeding my expectations. I wasn't expecting files like my 5D3 or 1D4 but hey, for what it is and for $399 I've got a camera that I'll take everywhere with me again. The lens is a pearler, f/1.8-2.8, the iso performance is a real surprise, and the more compact size (than the G12) makes the loss of the flippy screen inconsequential. I'm loving it.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-g15/
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_PowerShot_G15/
http://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/compact-cameras/canon-g15-1098151/review

-PW

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.