Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III specifications

Apr 25, 2011
Sony RX100 VII announced
Did I miss the announcement?

with the new 1-inch IMX 383 sensor.
Ah, so this is the one Canon most likely uses in the III. The other Sony 1" sensors are too slow for 30fps raw.

It can also explain the delay with the camera introduction.

The new 20-megapixel BSI Stacked CMOS sensor will provide continuous 4K video shooting at speeds up to 50/60 frames per second,
Actually, it supports up to 100fps in 4k, but there are multiple catches.

G7 X Mark III will support 4Kp50/60 ??
Unlikely. It's one thing if you can receive such a raw stream from the sensor, and another thing if you can actually convert these 1.2 gigabits per second of raw data into a format suitable for storage - without overheating.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Disagree, I much prefer this style of screen. It's faster to tilt and much less obtrusive for street/travel photography. The fully articulated screens are nice for slow paced landscape photography and the like, but they're a bit unwieldy for the types of photography I do.
A fully swingy tilty flippy screen also would add bulk and weight. I want it to fit in my pocket. I use the tilting when traveling for shooting straight up mostly, inside domes and towers, for example, without craning my neck. On occasion I shoot from waist level while looking down. I can see how this might work well for photographing people in public.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
A fully swingy tilty flippy screen also would add bulk and weight. I want it to fit in my pocket. I use the tilting when traveling for shooting straight up mostly, inside domes and towers, for example, without craning my neck. On occasion I shoot from waist level while looking down. I can see how this might work well for photographing people in public.
I shoot a lot of street using the tilting screen on my M5. I'm praying that they don't switch to an articulated one on the Mark 2.

Upvote 0
Canon using a Sony sensor might be a win for an end user, but is a bit of a let down for Canon imo. From the company of the Canon size, I would expect their own sensors. Or - they should admit, they are no more capable of developing/producing a competitive sensors and switch to Sony ones completly, saving us from the old refurb products like the 6DII.

Now I expect Canon brigade to come in and explain to me, that 1) Canon sensors are still competitive and hence my perception is wrong, and 2) Canon using Sony sensor is OK, as Canon always knows, what to do to push their business forward :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
From the company of the Canon size, I would expect their own sensors.
When it comes to sensors, Canon is a relatively small producer of specialty sensors. If Canon marketing decides that the camera doesn't require DPAF, buying a generic sensor makes more sense than producing an equivalent one in-house.

Upvote 0