Canon PowerShot Pro1X [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any release date associated with the Pro1X?

Canon Rumors said:
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-powershot-pro1x-cr1/\"></g:plusone></div><div class=\"tweetmeme_button\" style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a class=\"tm_button\" rel=\"&style=normal&b=2\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/08/canon-powershot-pro1x-cr1/\"></a></div>
<strong>APS-C Compact Camera?

</strong>We received a small comment that Canon will finally resurrect the “Pro” moniker for a PowerShot camera soon. The <a href=\"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_PowerShot_Pro1\" target=\"_blank\">Canon PowerShot Pro1</a> was a very popular enthusiast compact camera that was launched in 2004.</p>
<p>The camera will apparently be called the Canon PowerShot Pro1X and will have the same 18mp sensor as the Canon EOS Rebel T4i/650D and EOS-M.</p>
<p>New source, grain of salt on this one.</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

Upvote 0
A little late to this party, but...

The original PowerShot Pro used (according to Steve's Digicams) a "2/3-inch CCD sensor" yet this rumor claims a full-size APS-C sensor. If so, this would seem to either require a very large lens to ape the PS Pro's 28-200mm (f/2.4-5.7) zoom lens, or it will end up with a focal length range very close to the G1 X or (to an extent) the EOS M, so like others I don't see where this one would be positioned, other than perhaps being a sped-up G1 X (overcoming that camera's very slow continuous shooting speed).
paul13walnut5 said:
AND they are drip proof
Even the TS-EL lenses?
There is no such thing as a "TS-EL," but yes, even "L" TS-E lenses are drip proof. The TS-E 90mm (for example) is not an "L" lens, but the 17mm is.

Upvote 0
V

Vitruvius

I would LOVE a new Powershot Pro 1X!!! I still use my Powershot Pro1 every day and I want a new camera but I have yet to find one that I would pay $600 to $900 for that is better than the one I have.

A G1x with an f2.8, 24-200mm 'L' IS lens and GPS would be AWESOME for what I do. And if it were a bit better looking would be a bonus too, like the Fuji X-Pro 1 with a fully articulated screen and built in EVF.

I know there is no 'definition' of what an 'L' lens is, but I can tell you that the Pro 1 has good contrast and saturation and I am very happy with the IQ for such a small sensor. Recently eveyone is improving the sensors and the processors but I have yet to see a well rounded 'package'. I don't need to zoom to 600mm. The G1x was very close but the lens is not that great IMHO. The EOS-M is all about being seen with it and looking cool and not about taking pictures. I don't think I have ever shot a picture with my Pro 1 with the screen flat against the back of the camera. So then the EOS-M would be useless to me.

Upvote 0
If Canon doesn't hurry up with the G12 successor I can see folks going for the new Nikon P7700 despite nothing being known yet about IQ or the lens but it goes have a new CMO sensor if that means anything and it DOES have the articulated screen like the G11 and G12. It might not be a G1X or a Pro1X but it looks like it mights be in the 600$ to 700$ range so it might be an even better bet than a RX100

Upvote 0
Actually the P7700 will be $149 cheaper than the RX100.

Gman said:
If Canon doesn't hurry up with the G12 successor I can see folks going for the new Nikon P7700 despite nothing being known yet about IQ or the lens but it goes have a new CMO sensor if that means anything and it DOES have the articulated screen like the G11 and G12. It might not be a G1X or a Pro1X but it looks like it mights be in the 600$ to 700$ range so it might be an even better bet than a RX100

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:

Gman said:

Not only will it be cheaper but it has a longer brighter zoom and an articulated screen just like the G12. In fact if you compare the G12 and the P7700 they are almost the same same with the P7700 being just 5% lighter. It's almost like a G12 replacement without a viewfinder. I think the only way Canon can top that will be with a 2/3" backlit CMOS sensor and a 24 to 180mm ƒ1.9 zoom!

Upvote 0
Gman said:
powershot2012 said:

Gman said:

You got what you want except the focal length. F1.8!

Not only will it be cheaper but it has a longer brighter zoom and an articulated screen just like the G12. In fact if you compare the G12 and the P7700 they are almost the same same with the P7700 being just 5% lighter. It's almost like a G12 replacement without a viewfinder. I think the only way Canon can top that will be with a 2/3" backlit CMOS sensor and a 24 to 180mm ƒ1.9 zoom!

Upvote 0
zim said:
No viewfinder, no likie, whatever the brand

for small camera like G12 or P7700, I don't think the viewfinder is that important. I have a G11 but I find the viewfinder too small to use. For DSLRs, of course I can't live without it. But with G11, it's alright. I'd be happier if instead they put those extra money for the viewfinder feature to shot speed and better glass and sensor.

Upvote 0
paul13walnut5 said:
I haven't seen a review of the p7700 yet.

Frankly the last few Nikon flagship compacts have been left trailing firmly in the G series dust.

NEVER buy a camera on spec sheet alone. Megapickles etc only tell about the third of the story!

10MP is enough. what is needed is the lens to be faster and the sensor to be bigger. One of the primary shortcoming of advance point and shoot like these is low light performance. Most of the times, I want to attend a party with just a point and shoot. There are also a lot of times where you need something light or the situation doesn't permit to bring DSLR. For that I really like G1X except it's too pricey and priced like a DSLR already. I hope this G15 turns into a better performer.

See this? Our family is just going to the supermarket. Of course, I didn't bring a DSLR and tripod but suddenly I have this good opportunity to take a nice display of light. Sure it maybe nice but I hope I can get a little bit better picture than this. This was taken with G11, ISO 100, F/4, 1s. I looked for a fairly flat surface and took this picture. This is in Suria Mall, KLCC, Malaysia.

Attachments

• KLCC.jpg
    KLCC.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Upvote 0
That's wonderful if the G11 can turn out pictures like that just imagine what the G15 will do with a ƒ1.8 lens and improved sensor!

I tried a G1X on a recent trip, put my G11 along side for size comparison then put one in each hand to test the weights. G 11 wins every time. The G1X is a kind of studio camera, neither bird nor beast. Now that Canon have the G15 and the EOS M I wonder if there's any reason to keep the G1X as it was only vaguely enthusiastically received by a small group and clearly didn't sell well hence the price drop.

The G series is just perfect for travel if you dont want to carry loads of kit. My G11 fits in my bum bag ready for use at a moment's notice. Does everything from macro to infinity. Unless you are a pro these days who needs a dslr unless you really have to turn out A3 or even A2 prints. I have an A3 printer and have hardly eer used it for photos only for genealogical trees.

So is there any need now for a Pro1X?

be interesting to see tests on the glass when both models are compared. P7700 wont be released until the end of the month.

Upvote 0
Oh and this is my G11 and quite proud of it. ;D Sorry I really feel the impulse to post it. I bought a very cheap $1 super mini tripod with all bendable but sturdy legs. This setup fits my small belt bag, ready for action anywhere, anytime.

One thing I don't like with G1X is that it can't take macro shots. I hope G15 will be able to match or surpass G11 and G12 in this aspect.

Attachments

• G11.jpg
    G11.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 850
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.