Canon Powershot Webcams

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pingupenguins

Hi, I was going to buy a G12 and I couldn't find out if the Canon G12 lets your double it as a web cam. I don't want to buy a web cam that I'm never going to use where I could find a point and shoot that does web cam and pictures. I'm looking for the best point and shoot with webcam ability. I don't plan to use the web cam often because I hear it causes damage to the sensor.

I'm just a amateur photographer with a Rebel xTi borrowing my father's lenses. We have both wanted the G12 because 11lbs of lenses isn't always favorable. So I want to know if the G12 has a webcam feature or what Canons have that feature.

Bottom Line: I need a point and shoot with a webcam feature. Preferably the G12

The two ways I can think of doing it would require a capture card and some software tricks. A webcam is what around $40 for a decent one.

If I was in your boat I would sell the XTi and get an XSi or better with the Live View feature and you are all set as far as a webcam goes by using the EOS utility.

You might also consider the S95 instead of the G12 unless you really need that extra reach. Honestly I have a g12 and the extra reach never really gets you what you want and the g12 doesn't fit into a pocket very easily. Plus you can use that extra money towards your DSLR upgrade.

I'm personally going to keep the g12 and buy the s95 successor when it comes out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.