Canon Q2 2019 financial results released

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon released their Q2 financials this week, and things are a bit of a mixed bag for the company. There have been a lot of external forces at play in the USA, China and Europe and that has affected Canon’s profitability.
Canon breaks down their camera business in Q2:
Looking at interchangeable-lens cameras, in addition to market contraction centered on entry-class DSLRs, in 2018 we launched three new products that led to a high level of sales in the second quarter of last year. As a result, unit sales for the second quarter this year were down 22% to 1.08 million.
Against this backdrop, we successively launched strategic full-frame models into the mirrorless camera market from the second half of last year. The introduction of a high-end model, further heightened our presence in the market and at the same time had a positive impact on overall sales of our mirrorless cameras.
On the other hand, in the full-frame category of the market where price competition is increasing, as...

Continue reading...

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This -------> "...we will foster trust in our products." The statement refers to professionals. I am not one of those. However, this is why I like Canon. I trust their products. In my opinion, Canon fosters trust at all levels.

From products that are dependable and reliable, to their service when things go wrong. I trust Canon. Canon gets my $.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
This is my own quick guess as to what may happen to the Canon camera timeline over the next year or two

View attachment 185819

I suspect it'll be very different by 2023 when Digic 10 arrives ;-)

Keith Cooper: I very much enjoy your writing at Northlight...and your (more informed than my) speculation here seems on point to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon sold 1.93 million interchangeable lens cameras from Jan-Jun 2019. Now waiting for CIPA numbers to get an estimate of Canon's market share.

According to CIPA, ILC shipment numbers for Jan-May 2019 is only 72% of that in 2018.
The whole industry is suffering, for sure. Terrible times for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
This is my own quick guess as to what may happen to the Canon camera timeline over the next year or two

View attachment 185819

That looks like a logical consolidation of lineup, I suspect that 77D and lower slrs will be replaced with some sort of MiLC 2-3 years down the line with no upgrades coming anytime soon. In that category atleast EVF even cheap ones are light years better than those mirror viewfinders.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Canon needs to forget about maintaining DSLR markets. Get on MIrrorless 100%, pedal to the floor.

Not too late if RF Mount really has advantage, saying over E Mount, which is very prominent by RF 85mm F1.2, 50mm F1,2, 28-70mm F2, and 16-28mm F2 or 14-21mm F1.4 to come.
Maybe Canon is in a position to move aggressively on FF mirrorless without writing off DSLR markets. The rest of the industry seems to be handing Canon the DSLR market, for what that is worth.

Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
As the ACS (American Chemical Society) bumper sticker stated (way back in the 1980s)--'It takes alkynes to make a chemist' (spoiler: alkynes= all kinds).

And it takes alkynes to make an interesting forum/bulletin board--I love checking in here daily.

I wonder how one of our most prodigious posters here would have responded while, in all likelihood doing 'A' work on one of my second semester organic chemistry exams, nevertheless did not answer every question on every exam...correctly.

For nearly all students, I don the professor's hat when they bring their queries about missed questions to office hour. These students and I enjoy the interactions that resulted, though...and we all benefit from the discussions that ensue.

For just a very small number, though, three decades of teaching orgo has taught me that some of the brightest students never EVER thought they were wrong. They worked hard and generally received 100% scores on their exams...in math, bio, chem and physics classes.

Except in my second-term organic class.;) Thankfully chairs and deans understand (I think!).

=====

There is no question that Canon is the most successful manufacturer in the 'camera space'.

There is also no question that Canon has fallen behind in certain segments of the marketplace.

And there is also no question that Canon is now trying furiously to do what they do well (be a 'fast follower').

Before turning to the academic world, I was an employee at General Electric's R&D Center (think Thomas Edison).

GE's management at that time talked out loud about being 'fast followers'. They boasted about it--and said (again, out loud) that they did not need to innovate.

Have you seen GE's stock price lately? Hell forget about valuation...today some believe that the future of the company as we know it is in doubt.

I hope Canon succeeds--my family and I have invested thousands in the brand!

And I think they will.

But it is not a certainty.

Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
On the one hand, the photo market is getting smaller.
On the other hand, Canon for too long does not offer what potential customers expect.
The drops could have been smaller if the company followed the customers' voice.
Instead, it has been pushing them towards the competition, and this for years.
I have been a loyal client of Canon for over 20 years, but also patience has its limits.
Just a pity

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
On the one hand, the photo market is getting smaller.
On the other hand, Canon for too long does not offer what potential customers expect.
Mobile phones?

The drops could have been smaller if the company followed the customers' voice.
The market is getting smaller, but Canon is gaining market share. Which means the competition is not any better at "following the customers' voice".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010

View attachment 185819

This would imply a 2 year refresh rate on the R and RP. Personally, I am hoping for a 5DV, but I could see this being overall correct, but suspect the 5D replacement would be numbered, move up market (ie. more expensive) and Canon continues to sell the R at ~$2k. So, 2 up market R bodies, the high MP and the 5D series replacement in 2020. For differentiating, how about 75 MP with something like 5 fps for $3,200 settle in price at $3k, 45 MP with 8 fps for $3,000 settle in price around $2700, and then the R at 30 MP for sub(not a fan of MP wars, but easy differentiation).

I'd still like to see a 5DV. Give me ~30 MP, 10-12 fps, BSI sensor (just to keep up, really isn't needed), wider spread of AF points (most appealing aspect of mirrorless to me), a few other "20% improvements that add up" and take my money.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
This would imply a 2 year refresh rate on the R and RP. Personally, I am hoping for a 5DV, but I could see this being overall correct, but suspect the 5D replacement would be numbered, move up market (ie. more expensive) and Canon continues to sell the R at ~$2k. So, 2 up market R bodies, the high MP and the 5D series replacement in 2020. For differentiating, how about 75 MP with something like 5 fps for $3,200 settle in price at $3k, 45 MP with 8 fps for $3,000 settle in price around $2700, and then the R at 30 MP for sub(not a fan of MP wars, but easy differentiation).

I'd still like to see a 5DV. Give me ~30 MP, 10-12 fps, BSI sensor (just to keep up, really isn't needed), wider spread of AF points (most appealing aspect of mirrorless to me), a few other "20% improvements that add up" and take my money.
Surely a tilty floppy rear LCD. Seriously, I think Canon could just leave the 5DIV on the market indefinitely. Either a buyer wants a solid high performance DSLR or they want something else.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have been a loyal client of Canon for over 20 years, but also patience has its limits.
Just a pity
If Canon has been ‘pushing customers towards the competition for years’, how is it that Canon gained market share over those years? It’s a pity when people make claims that contradict facts and reality, they just end up sounding foolish.

Equally foolish is being a ‘loyal client’ of any large company. Canon does not reciprocate — they don’t give a damn about you, personally. You’re just a number to them, if that. If the reason you continue to use Canon is brand loyalty, you should switch. Now.

Of course, maybe you would rather complain but not take action. That seems to be pretty common around here.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0