Canon registers a 32.5mp APS-C DSLR in Taiwan

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Last month we posted that a 32.5mp APS-C sensor was on the way and it looks likes that information has been confirmed through a Taiwanese certification agency.
Code Names K437 & DS126801 APS-C DSLR:

Digital SLR
Wifi and Bluetooth 4.1
LP-E6N battery
6 level battery display, similar to the EOS 5D Mark IV
Maximum image size: 6960 × 4640, 32MP
This will likely be a 2019 release

We’d wager that this camera will be the replacement for the EOS 80D and potentially the EOS 7D Mark II.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Could the 6 segment battery display indicate that this could be the 7D-III rather than a 90D? Or maybe th emerge of 7D and 90D lines, but then more towards the 7D spectrum?
I think the 7DII and the 80D had the same battery, so I'm not sure it will inform us either way. On the bright side, it's the largest battery Canon makes for ILCs (other than the 1DXII battery), so it should have plenty of power!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Could the 6 segment battery display indicate that this could be the 7D-III rather than a 90D? Or maybe th emerge of 7D and 90D lines, but then more towards the 7D spectrum?

I think the 7DII and the 80D had the same battery, so I'm not sure it will inform us either way. On the bright side, it's the largest battery Canon makes for ILCs (other than the 1DXII battery), so it should have plenty of power!

I think he is referring to the battery display, not the battery. There has been some discussion on this forum about the higher end cameras having a more segmented display to more accurately assess remaining charge in the battery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think he is referring to the battery display, not the battery. There has been some discussion on this forum about the higher end cameras having a more segmented display to more accurately assess remaining charge in the battery.
Ah ok, I missed that!

On the topic, I believe you can get a specific percentage remaining on a higher end body by digging through the settings can't you? When I grab my camera bag to head out I often run through all my batteries even if they show full charge to check their status - i.e. the display showing full charge, but sometimes the actual percentage may be ~85% where others are like 97%.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

No. The x0D series has ”always” had a six-segment battery indicator. Presumably more indicator levels and more battery capacity (compared to Rebels) go hand in hand—I believe all bodies with LP-E6 batteries also have the more precise display, and those with smaller batteries have a four level indicator.

(Btw, I wonder why they include this tiny detail in these certification documents :O)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I do wish Canon would be transparent about their intentions regarding the XXD and 7D lines. I prefer the 7D form factor and am willing to be patient for a 7DIII, but I would like to know what their plans are. If the new camera is a 90D (or whatever it may be called), it will be two generations ahead of the 7D in sensor development. There is a lot of pent up demand for a 7DIII and leaving customers wondering about the future could suppress sales of the new body if it is indeed going to be the top end APS-C body.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
32.5 * 1.6 ^ 2 = 83MP.

And the megapixel race to nowhere continues...
I hear what you are saying, but let's deal with the rumor in hand versus the extrapolated speculation.

32.5 MP APS-C sensor. Give it high frame rate, I can see a lot of sport and wildlife photographers appreciating the jump from 20.2 MP to 32.5 MP for cropping and potential additional detail for larger prints.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0