Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Update: I hadn’t had any coffee at the time of this post, so I didn’t notice the January 25, 2019 release of this firmware update. What’s interesting is this firmware update hasn’t appeared at Canon USA. This is likely a “calm before the storm” firmware update we alluded to a month or so ago.
A lot of current and possible future Canon EOS R users have been waiting for the promised firmware update for the camera, and version 1.1.0 has arrived and it will surely disappoint a lot of people. The only feature added to the firmware is support for continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. This is a great addition, but it’s also the only addition outside of bug fixes.
We were told a month or so ago that it was possible that a “bug fix” release would come before a major feature firmware...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 25, 2011
CR reported that a bug fix might be coming before any new feature versions. We usually know when a new version is almost here because it appears on shipping cameras first.

It also mentions a need to update lens firmware.

Firmware changes:
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes.
1. Support for "continuous shooting" is available when "silent shutter" has been enabled.
2. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
3. Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
4. Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording image quality settings.
5. Corrects a phenomenon in which the information displayed in the viewfinder may become abnormal.

This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware Version 1.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, this update is unnecessary. When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly before you download the firmware.
The firmware update takes approximately 6 minutes.

Caution:
(1) When using the continuous shooting option when silent shutter has been enabled with the RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM lens, it may be necessary to update the lens' firmware version. If the lens' firmware version is Version 1.1.1, please download the latest firmware version (Version 2.0.0) or later from Canon's Web site to update the lens firmware.
(2) The user guide has been revised to reflect the functional improvements to the product. Please download the latest version of the user guide together with the new firmware. The latest version of the user guide can be downloaded from Canon's Web site.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A lot of current and possible future Canon EOS R users have been waiting for the promised firmware update for the camera, and version 1.1.0 has arrived and it will surely disappoint a lot of people. The only feature added to the firmware is support for continuous shooting in silent shutter mode. This is a great addition, but it’s also the only addition outside of bug fixes.
Here’s hoping this firmware update is just the beginning of features being added/tweaked for the Canon EOS R.
Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes. 

Support for “continuous shooting” is available when “silent shutter” has been enabled.
Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur if there is a large number of files in a specific format on the memory card.
Corrects a phenomenon in which an error may occur when silent shutter has been enabled.
Corrects a phenomenon in which horizontal linear noise may occur when using specific lenses together with certain recording...

Continue reading...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
So it’s possible to update lenses without having them shipped to Canin? That’s awesome!
Interesting.....
I was using my Olympus E310 last night and did a lens update through the camera. It is a 14 year old camera..... Way to go Canon! You finally caught up!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Where does one need continuos drive in silent mode where there is no flickering lights? Not scare animals?
If you take a picture hand-held with this silent mode, the rolling shutter will be very bad when the camera moves(which almost always happens with the first picture since the pressing of the shutter already moves it a little bit)
So holding it as steady as possible why using continous mode gives the best chance of usable images. I only use it with continous mode on the Sony (and it is annoying that I always have to switch two modes simultaneously since normally I prefer single-shot).

Upvote 0
awesome for canon maybe..
I can update lens on my 1DX MK II, just did my 200-400 F4, This is nothing new for Canon. You load the the update on a CF card and put it in camera with lens attached, selected firmware from menu. You will have option to update lens.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0