Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

Nov 12, 2016
I loaded the firmware. Be warned that it takes at least 5min or so, so definitely make sure your battery is charged.

I'm not sure what FPS it shoots at in continuous silent mode, but I can confirm that there's essentially no limit to how many photos you can take in a continuous burst with a 300MB/s UHS-II SD card. This was with the camera set to full res uncompressed raw, but with dual pixel raw turned off. I fired off about 350 photos and there was no sign of the buffer slowing the camera down much if at all. So, that's nice. There is a little jerkiness in the EVF display during continuous shooting. I don't think this has changed from the old firmware.

Oddly, you can use silent shutter in high speed continuous mode, but not "normal" speed continuous mode. Not sure why they couldn't just let you do either one. So, that will still make it a little bit of a hassle if you're in normal speed continuous mode and you want to turn on silent shutter. (You can't, you have to switch over to high speed continuous first.) :cautious:

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I loaded the firmware. Be warned that it takes at least 5min or so, so definitely make sure your battery is charged.

I'm not sure what FPS it shoots at in continuous silent mode, but I can confirm that there's essentially no limit to how many photos you can take in a continuous burst with a 300MB/s UHS-II SD card. This was with the camera set to full res uncompressed raw, but with dual pixel raw turned off. I fired off about 350 photos and there was no sign of the buffer slowing the camera down much if at all. So, that's nice. There is a little jerkiness in the EVF display during continuous shooting. I don't think this has changed from the old firmware.

Oddly, you can use silent shutter in high speed continuous mode, but not "normal" speed continuous mode. Not sure why they couldn't just let you do either one. So, that will still make it a little bit of a hassle if you're in normal speed continuous mode and you want to turn on silent shutter. (You can't, you have to switch over to high speed continuous first.) :cautious:
... and the menu, at least in Norwegian, still says Silent Mode can’t be used with burst mode :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Have you guys actually tried the new firmware? I have.

Eye AF is available in Servo AF and works great.

You can shoot high speed continuous with Servo AF and Eye focusing with or without silent shutter.

I'm not sure why low speed continuous doesn't work with silent shutter.

And it would be cool to have silent shutter with flash. But I heard Sony cams can't do that either.

Upvote 0
What?

It is not available in Servo. Even the menu switches to "deactivated" when choosing Servo, and back to "activated" when in One Shot. I also tried it and it does not work.

Silent shutter does work with silent shutter. I just tried it. The only thing that doesn't work with silent shutter is low speed continuous (you need to activate high speed continuous). I actually prefer low speed because I find it cumbersome to go through so many shots when reviewing.

Upvote 0
CR for humour. I get a kick out of the tempest in a teapot disputes. Reminds me of the good old days at home as a kid.:LOL:

Jack

...this is exactly what keeps me away from forums.
I know what I am thinking. I don't need invasive people (that have never met me) to tell me what I am thinking - and why :)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Silent shutter does work with silent shutter. I just tried it. The only thing that doesn't work with silent shutter is low speed continuous (you need to activate high speed continuous). I actually prefer low speed because I find it cumbersome to go through so many shots when reviewing.
That reply was for the eye AF in Servo mode, nothing to do with silent shutter (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Have you guys actually tried the new firmware? I have.

Eye AF is available in Servo AF and works great.

You can shoot high speed continuous with Servo AF and Eye focusing with or without silent shutter.
Yes I have tried eye AF with the firmware update on my EOS R. It is far from great in my view. You have to be very close to the subject, like head-shot distance, for it to focus on an eye. If the subject momentarily looks away it is very slow to reacquire the eye. Otherwise, it stays in face detect which is unacceptable when shooting lenses with super shallow DOF like the 85 1.2. It has other quirks too but enough said.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Yes I have tried eye AF with the firmware update on my EOS R. It is far from great in my view. You have to be very close to the subject, like head-shot distance, for it to focus on an eye. If the subject momentarily looks away it is very slow to reacquire the eye. Otherwise, it stays in face detect which is unacceptable when shooting lenses with super shallow DOF like the 85 1.2. It has other quirks too but enough said.
“Unacceptable” no less, lol. Face detect sets focus on the eyes, don’t know how you get it to miss..

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
“Unacceptable” no less, lol. Face detect sets focus on the eyes, don’t know how you get it to miss..
Have you had the time to actually determine if face detect focuses on the eye (by checking after the fact photos) even when the eye is not indicated and what % roughly and have you tried this for greater distances? A tough question to answer for sure but it would be very enlightening.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Eye AF only works when the subject is close enough for the camera to detect. It does not track or work in servo. The firmware update had nothing to do with eye AF, the improvement to work with servo on is still coming, IMHO, look for it about the end of March.

Here is what was said after a recent review with Canon Canon Interview with Imaging Resource

First, from the comments section (Dave Etchells (DE) was the interviewer there with Canon)

"Dave Etchells Mod Mugatu3 days ago
Yes, continuous eye-AF is in fact coming to the EOS R via a firmware update. I don't have in my notes whether we're allowed to say the date or not, so I'll err on the side of caution. But let's just say it'll be within the next couple of months :)"

From the actual interview.

" The EOS RP detects eyes when tracking, too (and so will the EOS R, soon)

DE: Oh, that's right, yeah. The 24-70mm f/2.8 was also not IS. The EOS RP has tracking AF with face-detect. Is it also doing eye-detect in servo mode, or is it not?

Canon: Yes.

DE: It is doing eye-detect? Ah!

Canon: The idea is that now we are able to implement the eye AF tracking in the RP. And so actually, back in December [when you asked] is there any update planned, at that time I didn't say anything.
<laughter>

[Ed. Note: He's referring to my interview with Mizoguchi-san, mentioned earlier, which I conducted in December, but published in early January.]

Canon: We knew, of course. Now we introduced it [for the RP] and why not for the EOS R? That's the question.

DE: Got it, right. So RP has that and then this coming firmware update will add it to the EOS R too, yes. So when a face is small, it just detects the face. But if it gets big enough, you see the eye.

WB: You can choose either one. It's the closest eye first. [Ed. Note: William noticed this on the samples we were shooting with.]

DE: ...and you can pick the other. And so when it is focusing on eye, then just the arrow key moves it back and forth. Yeah, yeah."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Have you had the time to actually determine if face detect focuses on the eye even when the eye is not indicated and what % roughly and have you tried this for greater distances? A tough question to answer for sure but it would be very enlightening.

Jack

I’ve tried it quite a bit, because if it works, then it’s quite the help. And it’s highly accurate, I’ve left my RF50 at f1.2 and at any distance the face detect is etither dead on the nearest eye or at such a distance that the whole face is in focus. That means that it misses the edge of bike helmets or beanies, hands partially covering their face, on a bike, running etc. it was not as accurate for when they were sledding very fast and their face was just a couple
Of inches off the ground. But when I used single point it was quite superb.

Sometimes when things are fast paced and they turn sideways or around for a moment the focusing square divides into multiple points that grab on their body and doesn’t always go back to the face when they turn back so a refocus is require d.

For portraits when they’re not playing or running etc, at f1.2, I say it’s 98-100% accurate. In profile it sometimes catches the far eye, but then the actual slice of what I consider accurate focus at 1.2 is next to nothing, switch to single and problem solved.

It’s really, really good.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Thanks Viggo, I'm getting closer to choosing the R but I need the ND adapter and won't buy until I know that's available, hopefully before our Costa Rica trip. It's easy to get too picky and expect miracles.

Jack
A few years ago I finally accepted that “AF is not 100%”, that really helps. But, that said, I continue to be seriously impressed with the R.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
Confusing réponse, Viggo. Face detect is not eye detect. Shooting my 85mm F1.2 with focus on the nose or forehead does not work for super shallow DOF. I own the EOS R and I shoot weddings. Just saying......

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Confusing réponse, Viggo. Face detect is not eye detect. Shooting my 85mm F1.2 with focus on the nose or forehead does not work for super shallow DOF. I own the EOS R and I shoot weddings. Just saying......
I own the RF50 and only shoot at f1.2 and did so with the adapted 85 L IS only shot at f1.4 and yes, face detect knows it’s a face and focus on the eyes. Why on earth would it find a face if it didn’t focus on the eye? It would be 100% useless at larger than 2.8.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Here's two examples, keep in mind these are screenshots from unedited raw's, but clearly shows that face detect chooses the eyes. Look how much softer the edge of the beanie is, and also the nose and closest edges of the eyebrows are softer.

And the last one is also very obvious it misses the nose.

Attachments

• Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.50.12.png
    Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.50.12.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 139
  • Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.50.26.png
    Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.50.26.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 148
  • Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.54.11.png
    Skjermbilde 2019-02-20 kl. 14.54.11.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 144
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0