Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

It does not work for me. Every time I enable the servo mode - the eye detection AF disengages.
Firmware v1.1.0

Have you guys actually tried the new firmware? I have.

Eye AF is available in Servo AF and works great.

You can shoot high speed continuous with Servo AF and Eye focusing with or without silent shutter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
way too many of you are focused on calling names than recognizing the releases are ... lackluster. I have been using Canon 15+ yrs and feel constantly disapointed in the last few years. The EOS R and the new RP were hopeful for me and close, but still... seems to keep missing the feature set/price I'd be willing to jump for. They're not BAD cameras, just not special anymore. There is nothing there that makes me go 'daaaamn I want one!' Luckily for them I'm not made of money and do not wish to go through the effort of swapping out my glass... but I know many that have and are quite happy. It is ... tempting.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
Interesting.....
I was using my Olympus E310 last night and did a lens update through the camera. It is a 14 year old camera..... Way to go Canon! You finally caught up!

Actually you can use cameras as old as 5DII, T4i and original EOS M to update lenses via camera. Download the file, put it on a memory card, put the card in the camera and install the firmware... Just did it with my 5DIV and a EF 40MM 2.8 STM.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
way too many of you are focused on calling names than recognizing the releases are ... lackluster. I have been using Canon 15+ yrs and feel constantly disapointed in the last few years. The EOS R and the new RP were hopeful for me and close, but still... seems to keep missing the feature set/price I'd be willing to jump for. They're not BAD cameras, just not special anymore. There is nothing there that makes me go 'daaaamn I want one!' Luckily for them I'm not made of money and do not wish to go through the effort of swapping out my glass... but I know many that have and are quite happy. It is ... tempting.

Remember though, it will be the lower members of the R line that are the bulk of the sales. It makes sense that these will be the first ones out. Neither of these two cameras tempt me in the least, they would be a downgrade. When the higher up units come out, I may be tempted too :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Actually you can use cameras as old as 5DII, T4i and original EOS M to update lenses via camera. Download the file, put it on a memory card, put the card in the camera and install the firmware... Just did it with my 5DIV and a EF 40MM 2.8 STM.

I have updated many a Canon camera with this method. However, with the Oly, you plugged a USB cable into the camera, ran the software on the computer, and you could update the camera and any attached lens. This would be a nice feature for Canon, Nikon, or anyone else to have. No Tamron dock, no sigma dock, no sending lenses back to Canon for an update.....

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Remember though, it will be the lower members of the R line that are the bulk of the sales. It makes sense that these will be the first ones out. Neither of these two cameras tempt me in the least, they would be a downgrade. When the higher up units come out, I may be tempted too :)

agreed and I'm hopeful, but have been patient and hopeful for a rather long time.. just gets frustrating.. so I can empathize with some of the people expressing that frustration. Mostly it's venting.

What does concern me is some of the cattiness (sp?) that I see towards those comments.. ignoring them is just fine vs attacks :)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
agreed and I'm hopeful, but have been patient and hopeful for a rather long time.. just gets frustrating.. so I can empathize with some of the people expressing that frustration. Mostly it's venting.

What does concern me is some of the cattiness (sp?) that I see towards those comments.. ignoring them is just fine vs attacks :)
Yes. canon is a very conservative company. You never get leading edge, but you do get reliability and what I think is the best ergonomics out there. I understand their decisions, and at the same time find them frustrating. Sometimes it is little things, like having Bluetooth on the camera and not supporting headphones.

If you truly want innovation, go with Olympus..... but then you have a tiny sensor and horrendous ergonomics. Often this site sees posters who are fixated on a single metric, that does not lend well to a balanced discussion.

Nobody has it all, but for me Canon is the best balance.

Upvote 0
EF lenses, too, before that. Just before the EOS M launched, there was a firmware update for the EF 40/2.8 that could be downloaded and applied with more recent bodies. But it wasn’t universal – after that update, there were firmware updates for the then-new MkII supertele lenses, and they had to be sent to Canon (fortunately for me, my 600/4 II that I bought after the update was announced came with the new firmware installed).

I’m glad you wouldn’t mind being without a lens for a couple of weeks while it’s shipped to Canon and back. For those of us who actually use our lenses, that would be rather annoying, and being able to apply the update immediately is very convenient.

I was gonna say - my 500LII was one of the old batch they said had to be sent in, and I couldn't face the hassle so I stuck with the old firmware. Updating at home would be very useful!

Upvote 0
Ah, stating Canon is dissapointing lately, is not that far from the truth imo. Canonites are like Zombies in the dawn waiting for the new Canon innovations since the sliced bread, 300D, 5DII and then some.

Btw - you called a troll one guy today, missinterpreting his message completly, overseeing the guy is not talking A7RIII, but A7RII. But look - we are still glad to have you here even with your elitist remarks :)

The irony!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I have updated many a Canon camera with this method. However, with the Oly, you plugged a USB cable into the camera, ran the software on the computer, and you could update the camera and any attached lens. This would be a nice feature for Canon, Nikon, or anyone else to have. No Tamron dock, no sigma dock, no sending lenses back to Canon for an update.....
I had many version of Oly m43, i don't like the online method. There were times where it took longer than it should and you don't know whether it's hung or should you wait.
I prefer copying to a card and updating. the problem with the Oly method is internet speed and their server time. the PC software goes to their sites and initiates it. the software than copies the file to the internal memory and later does the update. So you don't know when the download has completed and where is the update progress.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011

Probably a slightly easier way with USB, but I don’t mind the current Canon way. You realize you can update the lens firmware also via the camera without sending it to Canon, right? No need to spend money for a dock or other gadgets.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

It's all about who they are building these for. The EOS R made great strides for Canon, ironically in the video realm most of all. With 4k30 plus Clog and 10 bit 422 out over HDMI, that was a huge leap for Canon who has otherwise been either reluctant or unconcerned with video competitiveness since the 5D2. The 1DX2 is still my go-to rig for stills, with a 5DSR for critical work. But my 'second job" has afforded me basic commercial video work on a one man operation that MILCs are so well suited for. The 1DX2 does gorgeous 4k and 1080p, but I'd love to have that in a much more compact frame for run-and-gun video as the 1DX2 does not easily balance well on gimbals like the Ronin M. I'm waiting to see how stripped down the EOS RP is from the R in terms of video before I make the call, because I have no expectation the "PRO model" will be better suited with a higher res sensor and thereby (most likely) even greater crop. I can't even get 4k out over HDMI on my 1DX2 which is still very frustrating. The ability to record externally to SSDs is precious and as much I love the look of my Canon big-rig... it sucks not being able to go external.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
How can it be disappointing when it was reported to be a minor FW upgrade before the major FW upgrade?
It did not degrade the camera nor did it pretend to give eternal life.
Also, as for continuing the diatribes about the R being a misbegotten mirrorless failure, why are people wasting time whining about it? If it has no appeal for you fine. Move on. Quacking about what they shoulda, coulda done does not advance us one bit with respect to the camera we actually have and what it may become with FW improvements.
Take some breaths.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's all about who they are building these for. The EOS R made great strides for Canon, ironically in the video realm most of all. With 4k30 plus Clog and 10 bit 422 out over HDMI, that was a huge leap for Canon who has otherwise been either reluctant or unconcerned with video competitiveness since the 5D2. The 1DX2 is still my go-to rig for stills, with a 5DSR for critical work. But my 'second job" has afforded me basic commercial video work on a one man operation that MILCs are so well suited for. The 1DX2 does gorgeous 4k and 1080p, but I'd love to have that in a much more compact frame for run-and-gun video as the 1DX2 does not easily balance well on gimbals like the Ronin M. I'm waiting to see how stripped down the EOS RP is from the R in terms of video before I make the call, because I have no expectation the "PRO model" will be better suited with a higher res sensor and thereby (most likely) even greater crop. I can't even get 4k out over HDMI on my 1DX2 which is still very frustrating. The ability to record externally to SSDs is precious and as much I love the look of my Canon big-rig... it sucks not being able to go external.

It's heavy , indeed but I've been happy with the 1DX2 on the Zhiyun gimbal with 11-24 and smaller. It just manages the 70-200 2.8 II but tele on gimbal walking is tricky. I'm curious what you like/dislike with your setup. I can say I'm pleased with the 4K60 I've shot and 1DX2 video in general. I am wondering also how an R would be on my gimbal if I get it as a backup camera.

Jack

Upvote 0