Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

Yes. canon is a very conservative company. You never get leading edge, but you do get reliability and what I think is the best ergonomics out there. I understand their decisions, and at the same time find them frustrating. Sometimes it is little things, like having Bluetooth on the camera and not supporting headphones.

If you truly want innovation, go with Olympus..... but then you have a tiny sensor and horrendous ergonomics. Often this site sees posters who are fixated on a single metric, that does not lend well to a balanced discussion.

Nobody has it all, but for me Canon is the best balance.

Except that Canon hasn't always been that conservative company. I chose Canon DSLRs because they had better image quality, better AF and better video than all the others at that time. But a couple of years ago that changed and they started whatever they are doing now.

Upvote 0
So, ignoring all the drama over what was left out. I'm not up to date about the Silent Shutter update. Does this mean that I can just shoot as I normally do (Servo AF) and high speed, but with silent shutter enabled? Simple as that? Any downside to this?

You will get rolling shutter problems, if you move the camera to much or if the subject moves too fast. So it's not good for birds in flight or squirrels, but for portraits it should be fine.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Except that Canon hasn't always been that conservative company. I chose Canon DSLRs because they had better image quality, better AF and better video than all the others at that time. But a couple of years ago that changed and they started whatever they are doing now.

Don't you think it's difficult for any manufacturer to be really that much better (especially in every metric) now that all the cameras have reached the level they are at today. We hear quotes of photo instructors displaying photos and no one being able to tell the brand difference. But presumably that's not pixel peeping or super heavy cropping, extreme hdr etc. So in some circumstances it matters but largely it's way overstated. I think I'd be much more contented if I didn't read these threads!:)

Jack

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Except that Canon hasn't always been that conservative company. I chose Canon DSLRs because they had better image quality, better AF and better video than all the others at that time.
Canon was conservative with DSLR as well. Minolta (now Sony) made their first DSLR camera in 1995. Kodak started to make DSLRs based on Canon film bodies back in 1987. Canon made their first own DSLR camera only in 2000.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
...except that it's not just a small error fix. It adds the continual shooting in silent shutter mode, which is the main thing Canon promised would be coming in a firmware update.

I think people are fooling themselves into believing that there is something more coming, when in fact this is pretty much precisely the "big update" Canon promised. Just because you're disappointed with it doesn't mean there's any evidence that there's anything more coming down the road.

Upvote 0
I think people are fooling themselves into believing that there is something more coming, when in fact this is pretty much precisely the "big update" Canon promised. Just because you're disappointed with it doesn't mean there's any evidence that there's anything more coming down the road.

In fact I am not disappointed at all. For me, the R is the best camera I have ever used.
And I did actually use "them all" - it is neither my first FF nor my first mirrorless.

Canon promoted the R with "future firmware upgrades" when it was announced. They will not keep it a secret when they do actually offer the upgrade.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Canon promoted the R with "future firmware upgrades" when it was announced. They will not keep it a secret when they do actually offer the upgrade.

This is an upgrade. You seem intent to keep deluding yourself into believing it isn't, but it is.

And it's not a secret. It's clearly displayed when you look under the drivers/software section of the EOS R product screen. Canon doesn't release a headline press release every time they tweak the software on each and every product they make, which happens constantly. Why do you expect this to be any different? Perhaps in your mind it's more significant because you care about it more than say a new printer firmware, but this is just business as usual for Canon.

And honestly I'm not surprised that they don't publicize firmware updates more when a large portion of them usually relate to fixing bugs that they had in the products when they were initially launched.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
It took Canon a year and a half after releasing the 5DIV to roll the second number in the firmware version from a 0 to a 1. Almost seven years after releasing the 5D Mark III, the firmware is only at v1.3.5.

If they intended this to be taken as a minor update, they would not have changed the second digit in the firmware version.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It's heavy , indeed but I've been happy with the 1DX2 on the Zhiyun gimbal with 11-24 and smaller. It just manages the 70-200 2.8 II but tele on gimbal walking is tricky. I'm curious what you like/dislike with your setup. I can say I'm pleased with the 4K60 I've shot and 1DX2 video in general. I am wondering also how an R would be on my gimbal if I get it as a backup camera.

Jack

It's still primarily a stills camera for me, but I have enjoyed video on it very much with the exception of not being able to record externally in 4K. That's frustrating in a flagship $6000 camera and keep hoping to see a firmware update to allow for that... but Im not holding my breath. That said the video it produces it beautiful. Just prefer to have something smaller that would be easier to use on a gimbal for run and gun. Tripod mounted doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Actually, I just don't care much since the camera works great for me - and I have no (or very limited) use for eye-AF.

But yeah, if you need it to feel good. You won. I am stupid. ok? :)
You're not stupid, just misguided for thinking that there is going to be another major firmware update coming soon for this camera. It's clear that Canon does not roll over the second digit of their camera firmware levels unless they feel that it's a fairly major change or addition to the firmware, which they did here. To think this firmware release is anything short of the update they had long promised when the camera came out is wishful thinking. I would not expect any new functionality to be added to the camera at least through the end of the year, if not longer. If they made such a big deal about new firmware coming, and now that this is it, I wouldn't expect anything else for quite a while. Maybe some bug fixes if they identify any more bugs, but it's pretty clear that this is the big update they've been promising all along.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You're not stupid, just misguided for thinking that there is going to be another major firmware update coming soon for this camera. It's clear that Canon does not roll over the second digit of their camera firmware levels unless they feel that it's a fairly major change or addition to the firmware, which they did here. To think this firmware release is anything short of the update they had long promised when the camera came out is wishful thinking. I would not expect any new functionality to be added to the camera at least through the end of the year, if not longer. If they made such a big deal about new firmware coming, and now that this is it, I wouldn't expect anything else for quite a while. Maybe some bug fixes if they identify any more bugs, but it's pretty clear that this is the big update they've been promising all along.
Don't be too sure about that.

All signs point to the RP getting continuous Eye AF and if that has it, it makes Canon look silly if their 1000$ more expesnive model doesn't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0