Canon releases firmware v1.1.0 for the EOS R and it’s disappointing

Jul 12, 2014
What? So you’re saying that face detect randomly focuses wherever on the face? Or like zone AF and focuses on the closest point, aka, the nose? Then you’re doing it wrong. Mine misses the nose and forehead etc and focuses on the eyes. Not rocket science..
So Viggo, perhaps you will tell us all the difference between Face Detect and Eye Detect modes in the EOS R? LOL

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
The more I use Face Detect and Eye Detect AF, the more I agree with Viggo (and many others) who have seen that during Face Detect, the critical focus is still on the eye. I am seeing the same thing.

And djack41, the difference I am seeing, is the second box (one for the face, one for the eye). Where the box is drawn and its relative size to the subject is the only difference I am seeing in my results.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Thanks Viggo, I'm getting closer to choosing the R but I need the ND adapter and won't buy until I know that's available, hopefully before our Costa Rica trip. It's easy to get too picky and expect miracles.

Jack

Jack, just wondering if you were still looking for the ND adapter? I live in Ontario and the Henrys I deal with have one at their store. Let me know if you are interested.

Sue

Upvote 0
I'll take Canon color science, menus, and ergonomics any day over a 2% gain in dynamic range. The Sony has OK colors. Not great. And it's like holding a sharp steel brick. very uncomfortable.

I like how Canons are always molded perfectly to your hand. You can tell a lot of thought goes into experience rather than what Sony goes after: specs

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Would it be face detect that tries firstly to nail the eyes?

Jack
I can’t remember where I read this, but it was of an interview with someone from Olympus, where they said that their face detect tried to focus on the eyes and then it tried to ID the face....

It does not mean that Canon’s face detect focuses on the eyes, but it does mean that some face detects do.

Upvote 0